Peaches help please...

jasandlis, Mar 21, 8:56pm
Hi all, I have a huge basket full of peaches that i would like to bottle.
I have done jams before but not just bottled fruit, can someone help with the method? Thanks in advance.

lizab, Mar 21, 9:46pm
Peel your peaches, halve them, take out the stone and then slice them. Keep the peeled peaches in a container of well salted water. Bring to the boil 3 cups of water, to 1 cup of sugar. (you might like a heavier syrup, but this one is nice and light) Drain and rinse your peaches. Drop them into the boiling water and bring back to the boil. They will only need a couple of minutes to soften. Have your jars, seals and rings all ready. Use a jug and scoop out the peaches and pour into the jars, top with the boiled juice until it overflows. Use a long knife and carefully put it down the sides of the jars to get rid of any air bubbles, before putting lids on and sealing. Good luck - I haven't done peaches for years but can look at my hands and nails now and remember having peach coloured fingers and nails for days after from all the peeling and slicing!!!

lizab, Mar 21, 9:49pm
I should also add, that depending on how many peaches you're doing, you might have to double or triple the syrup recipe. :)

jasandlis, Mar 21, 11:06pm
HI lizab, thanks for that, think I have acouple of busy days ahead lol.

lizab, Mar 22, 5:25am
lol but it'll all be worth it during the winter months when you can have lovely peaches to hand :) Were the peaches from your own tree or did you buy them. I'm always looking at the price of peaches per kg (for bottling) but each year it's getting more and more expensive :( When they were at $1.99 per kg a few years ago, I'd buy 60 kgs and go for it, but now that it's over $3 it's cheaper to buy the canned ones unfortunately! It would be great to have your own golden queen peach trees!!! :) Have fun!

jasandlis, Mar 22, 6:41am
I picked them on Sunday from a tree at my parents place, it was so loaded it was starting to break the branches lol. Also got a good load of plums and grapes, so have a very busy week ahead, hopefully all goes well! Have a jam receipe for the plums but still working out what to do with the grapes!

jasandlis, Mar 22, 8:56pm
Hi all, I have a huge basket full of peaches that i would like to bottle.
I have done jams before but not just bottled fruit, can someone help with the method! Thanks in advance.

lizab, Mar 22, 9:46pm
Peel your peaches, halve them, take out the stone and then slice them. Keep the peeled peaches in a container of well salted water. Bring to the boil 3 cups of water, to 1 cup of sugar. (you might like a heavier syrup, but this one is nice and light) Drain and rinse your peaches. Drop them into the boiling water and bring back to the boil. They will only need a couple of minutes to soften. Have your jars, seals and rings all ready. Use a jug and scoop out the peaches and pour into the jars, top with the boiled juice until it overflows. Use a long knife and carefully put it down the sides of the jars to get rid of any air bubbles, before putting lids on and sealing. Good luck - I haven't done peaches for years but can look at my hands and nails now and remember having peach coloured fingers and nails for days after from all the peeling and slicing!

lizab, Mar 22, 9:49pm
I should also add, that depending on how many peaches you're doing, you might have to double or triple the syrup recipe. :)

lizab, Mar 23, 5:25am
lol but it'll all be worth it during the winter months when you can have lovely peaches to hand :) Were the peaches from your own tree or did you buy them. I'm always looking at the price of peaches per kg (for bottling) but each year it's getting more and more expensive :( When they were at $1.99 per kg a few years ago, I'd buy 60 kgs and go for it, but now that it's over $3 it's cheaper to buy the canned ones unfortunately! It would be great to have your own golden queen peach trees! :) Have fun!