Freezing feijoas

Page 1 / 2
curly8, Mar 26, 3:32am
does anyone know how well feijoas freeze? I was thinking I could scoop the flesh out and freeze in containers then get them out and heat them up in a pot as needed.

geldof, Mar 26, 4:16am
Yes, i freeze heaps.
they do discolour though.i peel them (or scoop them) into a bowl of water with a squirt of lemon juice.when i have enough done, drain well and freeze them free flow.
great for crumbles, cakes and loaves. jams and chutneys;
also stew them and freeze ready cooked.

noelee, Mar 26, 4:19am
Yes fejoas freeze well yummy mixed with stewed apple to make a crumble. We scooped the pulp into glad bags froze them into blocks using a ice cream container

sting9, Apr 13, 4:54am
I make a litesugar syrup and pour that over the fruit and freeze.We have them on cereal for breakfast and as long as the syrup covers them they don't go brown.

lissy73, Apr 13, 8:30am
I scoop out and then quickly cook in microwave before freezing to stop them going brown when they thaw

otterhound, Apr 13, 10:15am
Oh shyte! Knowing no better and desperate to do something with them before they decomposed, I just froze them whole,Is there any future for my frozen feijoas???Can I perhaps make chutney or something out of them?I'll be gutted if they are now only fit for the pigs!

sapne, Apr 13, 11:38pm
x1
Here's a feijos chutney receipe that is lovely. It gets better with age. Also great on crackers with cheese.
FEIJOA CHUTNEY
Ingredients
1.5 kg feijoas
1 kg onions
1/2 cup crystallised ginger
2 cups sultanas
2 cups brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cloves
3 teaspoons curry powder
2 tablespoons salt
1 litre malt vinegar
Method
Peel and chop the feijoas and onions and slice the ginger finely. Combine all ingredients in a large pan and bring to the boil, stirring. Simmer until thick, then pour into jars. Seal when cold.
Hope u enjoy this!

sting9, Apr 14, 4:54am
I make a litesugar syrup and pour that over the fruit and freeze.We have them on cereal for breakfast and as long as the syrup covers them they don't go brown.

otterhound, Apr 14, 10:15am
Oh shyte! Knowing no better and desperate to do something with them before they decomposed, I just froze them whole,Is there any future for my frozen feijoas!Can I perhaps make chutney or something out of them!I'll be gutted if they are now only fit for the pigs!

sapne, Apr 14, 11:38pm
Here's a feijos chutney receipe that is lovely. It gets better with age. Also great on crackers with cheese.
FEIJOA CHUTNEY
Ingredients
1.5 kg feijoas
1 kg onions
1/2 cup crystallised ginger
2 cups sultanas
2 cups brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cloves
3 teaspoons curry powder
2 tablespoons salt
1 litre malt vinegar
Method
Peel and chop the feijoas and onions and slice the ginger finely. Combine all ingredients in a large pan and bring to the boil, stirring. Simmer until thick, then pour into jars. Seal when cold.
Hope u enjoy this!

guest, Apr 16, 10:19pm
x1
i sell organic feijoas off my trees in Warkworth to supliment my pension. you can phone me 094259092 if you want some.

murdoc4, Apr 20, 8:37am
Freeze in muffin pans and when frozen pop several moulds into large ziplock bags.Just take out as many as you need, I also squeeze a little lemon juice on them.

kate777, Apr 20, 8:41am
Frozen feijoas are fine for anything you want to do with them even if they're not cooked or have lemon on them, but as someone mentioned, they do go brown, so make an apple and feijoa crumble, or a feijoa sponge pudding or muffins, or do as I did and puree them, freeze them into ice cubes and put them into cocktails.
Lovely with ginger beer, lime and vodka.

meeshel, Apr 20, 8:43am
i have just put the 8th bag of pulped feijoas in the freezer. i am getting 3 full shopping bags a day.
my partner makes wine out of them..

kate777, Apr 20, 8:43am
PS, if you froze them with their skins on, no sweat, it'll be easy to slide them out once they're defrosted (they'll be mush, but no sweat) to do whatever you like with them. All is not lost, and do not give them to the pigs!

pickles7, Apr 21, 2:28am
I freeze them cooked, that way they will not discolour. I add 1 tsp salt then sugar to taste. The salt helps to cut down on the sugar, I once would have used, by half.

kate777, Apr 21, 8:41am
Frozen feijoas are fine for anything you want to do with them even if they're not cooked or have lemon on them, but as someone mentioned, they do go brown, so make an apple and feijoa crumble, or a feijoa sponge pudding or muffins, or do as I did and puree them, freeze them into ice cubes and put them into cocktails.
Lovely with ginger beer, lime and vodka.

meeshel, Apr 21, 8:43am
i have just put the 8th bag of pulped feijoas in the freezer. i am getting 3 full shopping bags a day.
my partner makes wine out of them.

kate777, Apr 21, 8:43am
x1
PS, if you froze them with their skins on, no sweat, it'll be easy to slide them out once they're defrosted (they'll be mush, but no sweat) to do whatever you like with them. All is not lost, and do not give them to the pigs!

chooky, Apr 22, 12:23pm
Thanks Sapne for your chutney recipe. Made it today and its yum. Makes heaps and is so easy. Thanks again.

jen211, Apr 23, 1:15am
Please can someone tell me how many jars the chutney above makes please. Thanks

korbo, Apr 23, 6:17am
how do you think feijoas would go in plain icecream. Rush Munroes have feijoa icecrem and it is delicious. I thought scoop out, sprnkle over a little lemon juice or something to stop them going brown, and soften vanilla icecream then add the feijoa....
anyone got a good idea

pickles7, Apr 23, 6:55am
x1
yep so nice, my grandkids go for the feijoa ice cream every time....korbo....

chooky, Apr 23, 7:07am
The chutney I made last night, made 7 jars full plue 3 little containers. My jars were a mixture of jam, spag bol sauce jars, and just add chicken tonight sauce jars, so makes quite abit. We couldnt wait for it to get cold, had it warm on cheese and crackers, very nice.

nfh1, Apr 23, 7:10am
This is a really good idea - I have been doing a tray each day and it is so easy - thank you.