Feijoas worth freezing? If so, how please?

clementine4, May 7, 2:58am
Feijoas worth freezing? If so, how please?
Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks.

245sam, May 7, 3:32am
clementine4, I recall others here on the MB having posted about freezing feijoas but I haven't done so myself. Have a look at the info' on the following link: http://www.bite.co.nz/kitchen-tips/how-to/2002/Feijoas-Tips-and-recipes/

Hope that helps. :-))

clementine4, May 7, 3:45am
Thanks, very helpful. A good website. It seems you can free flow freeze them.

mustu, May 7, 4:10am
I just stew some that I have scooped out, then freeze. Great for desserts, cakes, with ice cream etc.

fefeoc, May 7, 6:08am
And I've just frozen raw ones. Apart from the fact that they discolour, they are fine. I use them in baking, or just eat them with my cereal.

sweater, May 7, 6:15am
I cut the skin off with a sharp knife and slice into thick rounds, freeze on snap lock bags. Still using some from last year, nice to cook for breakfast, great for apple & feijoa shortcake, muffins etc.
just do a few at a time & put straight into freezer so they don't go brown

buzz123, May 7, 6:59am
same as above, scoop them out, mash them with a potato masher & then freeze in recipe size quantities (1 cup feijoa flesh for a loaf recipe)

clementine4, May 7, 8:00am
Thank you everyone. (People on this board are lovely!)

beautifulflower, Jun 22, 2:29am
freeze them. so nice in the winter time when nothing around. i freeze bulk mangoes

whitehead., Jun 22, 3:27am
i bottle them and take them to aus for my grand children . their mum makes a cobbler out of them

rainrain1, Jun 22, 7:22pm
I gave some to my birds here in the South, and they don't eat them lol

samanya, Jun 23, 2:18am
My chooks & sheep turn their noses up at them as well!

gilligee, Jun 23, 3:07am
Please don't waste the skins. I cook them whole and and the skins are delicious.

venna2, Jul 8, 3:52am
I use those little plastic bags from the supermarket 'pack your own' section, as they're just right for two or three meals. I peel surplus feijoas, cut them up roughly (I don't scoop the flesh out, I prefer to peel and cut up), put them in the little bags and pop them in the freezer.

I eat the fresh feijoas raw, usually with my breakfast muesli, but the frozen ones I like to gently simmer first with a spoonful of honey.

venna2, Jul 8, 3:54am
I tried to take just one feijoa to Australia once but it was promptly taken off me by the customs guys. They didn't seem to know what it was, and I suspect they didn't destroy it but rather took it home to eat.

juli55, Jul 8, 4:54am
You are not allowed to take home preserves to Aust.

valentino, Jul 8, 5:11am
Frozen Feijoas once thawed is ideal for a fruit smoothie with feijoas only being used. It is lovely.

Cheers

purplefalcon, Jul 12, 7:49am
How do you get them thru customs? Would love to do this for my auntie in Aussie

oopie, Jul 15, 9:08am
Scoop and freeze in zip-lock bags. Defrost in the bag, then drain a little (but the kids love the juice), makes wonderful crumble.

greerg, Jul 24, 9:58am
Check agriculture.gov.au and search "bringing or mailing goods to Australia".
Commercially prepared and home-made preserved fruits and vegetables can be imported if they have been prepared using a method of preserving or pickling outlined below, and are contained in clean and new packaging.

Jam, chutneys and canned, bottled or preserved fruit and vegetables (with or without seeds) are allowed into Australia if they are:

preserved or pickled by an acceptable method as defined below; and/or
canned or aseptically packaged as defined below.
Acceptable methods of preserving/pickling fruits and vegetables are:

pickled in salt brine, vinegar, alcohol or sugar syrup
cured in salt or sugar
glacé crystallised or infused with/in sugar syrup (including but not limited to mixed peel, cranberries, tropical fruits)
canned or bottled in salt/sugar/vinegar/salt brine/alcohol or oil
boiled with sugar until gelled (jam or jelly).
Canned/aseptically packages include any item that has been commercially heat treated to make the contents sterile. The product must be shelf-stable for a minimum of six months. Container types may include:

metal cans
glass jars or bottles with ‘twist off’ lids or caps
plastic containers that have heat sealed lids or lids closed by a double seam (excludes those with snap or plastic lids)
retort pouches
thermoform-fill-seal containers, plastic cans, pouches or bags.
Each consignment will be inspected to check that the product meets these conditions. After inspection, all consignments that meet the above import conditions will be released. If a consignment does not meet these conditions, or the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources biosecurity officers cannot verify the goods meet the conditions, the consignment will be destroyed if no effective treatment is available.