Feijoas!

Page 1 / 2
diamondpearl, Apr 7, 9:14am
Other than Feijoa crumble cake, what else is there to make with Feijoas?

I have lots!

tatts2, Apr 7, 9:18am
Have you ever heard of google.

diamondpearl, Apr 7, 9:29am
Yes and I've also heard of a RECIPE forum on trademe!!!!!

pickles7, Apr 7, 10:27am
In the search function , on your left , Write ...Feijoa... on the key word member space, and scroll down to ... anytime ... on the date posted,. You may find what you are looking for there...You will need hours to read them all

mango5, Apr 7, 11:07pm
feijoa and ginger jam is good(when it sets)

theanimal1, Apr 8, 2:51am
Apple and Feijoa Crumble

4 medium apples – peeled and sliced
6 medium feijoas – peeled and sliced
4 Tbsp water

Layer fruit in an oven proof dish and sprinkle water over.

Topping

1/3 cup wholemeal flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup peanuts or walnuts chopped
1 tsp cinnamon
45 grams melted margarine

Combine topping ingredients, sprinkle on top of fruit and bake at 180 C until the topping is crisp and the fruit is tender when tested with a knife, about 40 minutes.

theanimal1, Apr 8, 2:52am
Feijoa Cake

Ingredients
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs (beaten)
1 cup white sugar
1 cup mashed feijoas
1 tsp vanilla essence
75 grams butter, softened
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda

Method
1. Cream the butter and sugar, blend in the feijoa.

2. Heat the milk, add the baking soda. Add to the mixture above, along with the eggs and vanilla essence.

3. Sift the flour with the baking powder, mix into the wet ingredients.

4. Pour into a greased and baking paper-lined 20cm cake tin and bake at 180°C for 40 minutes.

Ice with cream cheese icing if wished.

Cream Cheese Icing

200g Cream Cheese
200g Icing Sugar
1 T butter
some lemon juice

Beat Cream Cheese until soft, add icing sugar, lemon and butter. Blend till smooth.

theanimal1, Apr 8, 2:52am
feijoa chutney

2 cups feijoa flesh, chopped
2 large onions, peeled and diced
½ cup sultanas
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 cups cider vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp curry powder

1. Place all ingredients in a large heavy-based saucepan. Bring to the boil, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Turn down heat and simmer hard for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring regularly until thick and syrupy.

2. Ladle mixture into sterilised jars. Be sure they are well sealed. Store in a cool, dark place.

theanimal1, Apr 8, 2:53am
Feijoa Jam

1 kg Feijoas
¼ cup water
4 cups sugar

Method

Peel and slice feijoas, add water and boil gently until soft. Stir in sugar and boil hard for 5-10 minutes, or until a drop popped onto a saucer jells. Feijoas are high in pectin so this happens quickly.
Immediately pour into heated jars and seal.

nzl99, Apr 8, 3:04am
We made feijoa and apple fruit leathers...

squeakygirl, Apr 8, 5:12am
This is good and makes good muffins too -
Feijoa loaf

Peel and chop up feijoas until you have 1 cup of flesh. Add to a pot with 1 cup boiling water, 1 cup sugar and 50g butter. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes, take off heat and set aside to cool for a few minutes. Then mix in 1 egg, beaten, 2 cups self-raising flour and 1 teaspoon baking soda. Bake at 180C for approximately 50 minutes

diamondpearl, Apr 7, 9:14am
Other than Feijoa crumble cake, what else is there to make with Feijoas!

I have lots!

diamondpearl, Apr 7, 9:29am
Yes and I've also heard of a RECIPE forum on trademe!

pickles7, Apr 7, 10:27am
In the search function , on your left , Write .Feijoa. on the key word member space, and scroll down to . anytime . on the date posted,. You may find what you are looking for there.You will need hours to read them all

bev00, Apr 7, 10:56am
loving all the feijoas

beaker59, Apr 7, 12:28pm
Enjoying my feijoa jam 2 green apples sliced about 2 Kg of sliced feijoas (toped and tailed but skins on) a cup and a half of sugar and juice of a lemon simmered for a while then into the jars, it set really well and is delicious maybe I should have added some ginger but wanted to try it plain first, next time :)

sarahw2, Apr 7, 7:30pm
yum diamond pearl.would you care to send some my way! LOL.

theanimal1, Apr 8, 2:53am
Feijoa Muffins

These are very easy and Delicious and freeze well

2 cups flour
3 tsp Baking Powder
75 grams butter melted
1 cup chopped feijoas
2 eggs
Finely grated rind of an orange
1/4 cup orange juice
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbs sugar

Melt Butter - mix in feijoas. Add unbeaten eggs, orange juice and rind.
Mix until combined. Add sugar, Flour and BP - Pour into muffin pans.
Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top
Bake 200 c for 15 to 20 mins

nzl99, Apr 8, 3:04am
We made feijoa and apple fruit leathers.

ansypansy1, Apr 12, 4:34am
We are reduced to buying our feijoas in bulk now from an orchard near Matamata.
We LOVE them stewed on our breakfast cerea,

we started off scooping the flesh. then tried peeling them, then last year we left the skins on before cooking. They are different in flavour, but still have that yummy taste.
This year we topped and tailed them and put them straight in the freezer in S/market bags. Hope we haven't made the biggest mistake in history. $60 worth so far and going back for more.

Anyone near enough to Matamata, google Southern Belle Feijoas.

waiting6, Apr 12, 5:31am
my 10 year old daughter goggle coconut and feijoa cake which she made was very easy and a lovely moist cake

bev00, Apr 23, 9:32am
Try this Feijoa & Coconut Cake. it is delicious.
4 eggs
150g butter softened
1 1/2 cups caster sugar
2 cups desiccated coconut or 1 cup ground almonds
2 cups self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup yoghurt or sour cream
1 1/2 cups sliced feijoas, plus 1/2 cup more for the top
Separate eggs and beat whites until they form soft peaks. Soften butter and beat with caster sugar until creamy. Add yolks one at a time beating between, then fold in self-raising flour, coconut (or ground almonds) and baking powder. Then gently stir in milk and plain yoghurt. Fold in beaten egg whites and the 1 ½ cups of sliced feijoas.
Place extra feijoa slices on top to decorate before baking @ 150c for 1 to 1 ¼ hours in a reasonably shallow dish. Serve warm as a dessert.

Quotebcnd (1373 )

norse_westie, Apr 23, 9:36am
I thought the idea of feijoa and vanilla together (jelly thread) sounded great so tonight I am experimenting with grated feijoa and vanilla extract in our porridge for tomorrow. I'll let you know how it tastes in the morning.

korbo, Apr 23, 9:39am
just made the jelly it is devine .cant wait until breakfast to have it on my toast, but the way i feel right now, will be cooking a bit of toast for supper.yummmo

norse_westie, Apr 24, 2:58am
Well the porridge was a great success. All the kids loved it. Personally I prefer apple and cinnamon but thats more to with texture than taste. We will be having it again.