Whats for dinner.. hmmmmm

fisher, Mar 29, 1:49am
Well I looked in the fridge and saw a few things that need to be used up...
Also saw a few manky looking kumura in the bin as you sometimes do so a plan was made for a mix and match dinner...
Kumara Croquettes...
4 med kumara.. 225g can crushed pineapple,drained.. 2 rashersbacon, chopped and par pre-fried.. parsley roughly chopped.. 2 eggs.. 1 tbsp cornflour.. 1tbsp pineapple juice..11/2 cups dried breadcrumbs.. 1 tsp ground cumin.. 1/2 tsp ground chilli.. tarragon,fine chopped.. 2 spring onions fine chopped (white and green).. 1tbsp water.. 1/4 cup oil
Boil and mash kumara..let cool.. add fried bacon pieces, tarragon, parsley and mix well into kumara and then add one of the eggs. Mix in some pineapple. can add more later if mix dry..Beat 2nd egg, cornflour, water and a little pineapple juicetogether ... Shape kumara mixture into oblong shapes. You want a relatively dry mix to retain their shape...
Mix bread crumbs with cumin and chilli and dip croquettes into egg mixture and then breadcrumb mixture... Put oil in baking dish and roll croquettes gently in oil, bake 200degc 20 mins or till golden rolling over as required...
Oks, 4 nice chubby beetroot from the garden, peeled and drizzled in an olive oil and red wine vinegar mix.. salt, black pepper and into oven..
some of my garden tomatoes have blemishes so a few slices here and a few slices there and we have a nice tray of tomatoes , given the same treatment as the beetroot but with some processed basil sprinkled on top...
4 Big brown mushrooms with the stems trimmed and olive oil added with a sprinkling of peri peri and onion salt...
I think we will have some nice leftovers for lunch tomorrow..

lx4000, Mar 29, 2:59am
sounds great fisher! Boring old home made burgers here with home made meat patties (mine veggie of course!!)

suie1, Mar 29, 3:03am
Sausages with mashed Potato for the kids & Cauliflower Mash for me & DH with veg of course Blackboy Peaches, Custard & cream for pud.

corgi731, Mar 29, 3:21am
Marinated Chicken Drumsticks, with a vege bake and boiled spuds

suie1, Mar 29, 3:23am
mmm vege bake. Can I ask how do you do yours?

fisher, Mar 29, 3:37am
lx4000 nothing wrong with homemade burgers... they the best... adding all those herbs and flavour to the patties... and all the veges you want and like..
I got the rest of the pineapple chunks and juice and having Greggs butterscotch pudding with it for desert...

ant_sonja, Mar 29, 4:12am
Left overs - last nights beef cheek stew, reheated and served with crusty buttered bread. On my own tonight so fab to have a lazy meal :-)

fogs, Mar 29, 4:17am
Mushroom rissotto cheap and nice

corgi731, Mar 29, 4:17am
nothing exciting sorry suie1, just got a pkt of maggi veggi bake, cause i'm not really a great cook, but i use as many different kinds of veges i can out of the garden and anything else that needs using up, and top it wif cheese and home grown sliced tomatoes....

uli, Mar 29, 4:21am
Well I just watched the masterchef tapa section on my puter - NOW what to cook?

tarshlove, Mar 29, 5:05am
Hey Fisher were just having Left over lasagna here.

P.S. I love the word manky just love it lol

sherrie, Mar 29, 5:20am
Meatloaf made with Pork mince, grated carrots, courgettes and apple also rolled oats and also mashed potato with Kumara in it so the kids eat a little more veges without knowing!And of course peas!

kinna54, Mar 29, 5:24am
Hubby is cooking! Yay. Making lasagna. (as long as I promise to make evorotorua's cake). Will get a into g once he's cleaned up his mess. Hmmm that's the only drawback... Will work on training him better lol.

elliehen, Mar 29, 5:25am
Since you ask, why not one of the delicious vegetarians tapas the students were required to make as part of their challenge.

Oh, yes, and no cans, packets or shortcuts now...Mistresschef uli.

motorbo, Mar 29, 6:05am
excellent thread fisher!! i always make sure i use up everything i used to be so wasteful years ago, not anymore!! i had a tomatoe plant self seed and pulled it on sunday as it wasnt going to last, but i have enough green tomatoes to make pickle this weekend!!

nzl99, Mar 29, 6:09am
Have a cold... too knackered to do much esp with taste buds on holiday... crumbed some tarakihi, threw in some capers, squeezed over lemon... and served with salad.

uli, Mar 29, 7:25am
Not sure about your life in Spain - I know mine ... there are not many vegetarian tapas - except the "tortilla" which is sliced cooked potatoes, fried onions and eggs.

Apart from that I have trouble remembering anything else entirely vegan or vegetarian - but I am sure - you will tell me anytime soon.

andrew499, Mar 29, 7:46am
Corned beef, mashed spuds and peas tonight.Cooked the corned beef in the slow cooker as usual, but did it in gingerale for the first time.i'll definitely be doing it again that way.
Cheers

elliehen, Mar 29, 7:55am
I was referring to the Masterchef challenge on Sunday night which specifically asked for vegetarian tapas as part of the challenge.Maybe you didn't get to watch it all...and the Spain of your 1960s is not the Spain of today ;)

uli, Mar 29, 8:09am
Haha - I am so glad someone knows more about me than I do myself .... maybe tell me where I was in Spain in the 1960's ... now that would be fun ... and maybe what I ate as well ...!

Tonight I had a lovely goat roast with lots of herbs and several green limes and chillies. Ate it with fried courgettes and a mixed green leaves / tomato / cucumber salad.