What can I serve this person coming for dinner?

Page 1 / 2
omaria, Jul 28, 4:07am
She is wheat/gluten free and doesn’t eat mushrooms and no added sugar and nothing to hot or spicy. Any easy recipes greatly appreciated. Its for a pot luck dinner so doesn't need to be a lot.

evorotorua, Jul 28, 4:15am
Maybe something like an egg and potato salad with bacon or chicken?

sunshinebare, Jul 28, 4:22am
marinated fish from the Islands ;)

karlachikkidy, Jul 28, 4:34am
water - what the heck is someone like that going to a pot luck dinner for???What is everyone else making??

jfd, Jul 28, 4:37am
boiled cabbage. That will learn her.

sunshinebare, Jul 28, 4:39am
its actually being held in their honour, they are overseas guests - and why shouldnt they go to a pot luck dinner - there is bound to be something there they can eat - poster one is merely asking for an idea so she can be one of the ones to bring something that would be edible.

sunshinebare, Jul 28, 4:41am
oh and i will add not that it should matter for a helpful response - it is not by choice she eats this way - she has major stomach ailments and the pain involved in eating these things are not worth her eating at all - and as she has been living off rice cakes and nuts we thought it be nice to welcome her to NZ with food that she can eat,

sunshinebare, Jul 28, 4:42am
thank you evorotorua for your helpful response :)

mackenzie2, Jul 28, 4:47am
Chicken poached in coconut milk, with rice...
Stir fry with lots of vege and a GF sauce
Fresh salad with lots of fresh vege and grapes/etc in it

evorotorua, Jul 28, 5:03am
mini meatballs with a dipping sauce. You could also use vegetables with the same sauce like brocolli, cauliflower florets, carrots etc. If you are taking mini meatballs, make lots. People love them. I guess you will need to steer clear of using breadcrumbs in the meatballs, but little ones will be OK without breadcrumbs. Nice to hear that you are being so welcoming. She won't forget it.

davidt4, Jul 28, 5:30am
Chicken Fricasseed with Potatoes (or sprouts) and Vinegar

8 chicken thighs (or a whole chicken in 8 pieces),
3 tab olive oil,
1 tsp chopped rosemary, 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
4anchovy fillets, chopped,
8 small potatoes, washed, OR 400g brussels sprouts, trimmed
6 tab wine vinegar,
salt and pepper.

2 tab extra virgin olive oil to serve

In a large lidded saute pan heat the olive oil, and when the oil is very hot reduce heat to medium and fry the chicken on all sides until golden.Add potatoes or sprouts and toss well.Add rosemary, garlic and anchovies and toss well.When the mix is fragrant add the vinegar and shake a few minutes until the fumes dissipate.Add salt and pepper, cover and cook over low heat until tender, about 45 minutes.Turn a few times while cooking, add water if necessary, and when cooked turn off heat, add extra virgin oil and allow to stand 10 minutes before serving.There should be no liquid left at the end, just a sticky coating on the chicken.

kiwigoldie, Jul 28, 6:15am
honey sesame chicken drumsticks.

chicken drumsticks.
Drizzle with some melted honey and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
bake in moderate oven 20-30 mins until cooked.

Can be served hot, warm or cold with a green salad.

A great standby that we cook a lot when we arent sure what people we are having for dinner like...we add a little soy to the honey but Im not sure if soy has gluten so wouldnt add it.

omaria, Jul 28, 6:51am
'someone like that'??? She is our guest of honour from overseas and we want to consider her dietery requirements.

I hope you never develop similar medical conditions.

omaria, Jul 28, 6:53am
Thanks JJ :)

omaria, Jul 28, 6:55am
thanks everyone for helpful responses, will make a shopping list now :)

timturtle, Jul 28, 6:59am
What about lamb chops with mint sauce

bedazzledjewels, Jul 28, 7:15am
Plenty of recipe ideas on our website Omaria.

shaddowqueen, Jul 28, 7:16am
You can get recipe bases in the supermaket that are wheat and gluten free, they normally have it clearly written on the front or back of sachet. When you go to the supermarket have a look/peruse down/around the health food. they quite often have a find of things there. you can get gluten/wheat free flour stuff, ive made a beef casserole for a friend who is gluten free. just used this flour instead of normal flour. My mums in a church group thats always doing baking and i remember her freaking out a few years ago cos someone became allergic but she just uses other stuff instead now. cant remember what but shes always making quiches.

omaria, Jul 29, 4:07am
She is wheat/gluten free and doesn’t eat mushrooms and no added sugar and nothing to hot or spicy. Any easy recipes greatly appreciated. Its for a pot luck dinner so doesn't need to be a lot.

evorotorua, Jul 29, 4:15am
Maybe something like an egg and potato salad with bacon or chicken!

karlachikkidy, Jul 29, 4:34am
water - what the heck is someone like that going to a pot luck dinner for!What is everyone else making!

mackenzie2, Jul 29, 4:47am
Chicken poached in coconut milk, with rice.
Stir fry with lots of vege and a GF sauce
Fresh salad with lots of fresh vege and grapes/etc in it

evorotorua, Jul 29, 5:03am
mini meatballs with a dipping sauce. You could also use vegetables with the same sauce like brocolli, cauliflower florets, carrots etc. If you are taking mini meatballs, make lots. People love them. I guess you will need to steer clear of using breadcrumbs in the meatballs, but little ones will be OK without breadcrumbs. Nice to hear that you are being so welcoming. She won't forget it.

kiwigoldie, Jul 29, 6:15am
honey sesame chicken drumsticks.

chicken drumsticks.
Drizzle with some melted honey and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
bake in moderate oven 20-30 mins until cooked.

Can be served hot, warm or cold with a green salad.

A great standby that we cook a lot when we arent sure what people we are having for dinner like.we add a little soy to the honey but Im not sure if soy has gluten so wouldnt add it.

omaria, Jul 29, 6:51am
'someone like that'! She is our guest of honour from overseas and we want to consider her dietery requirements.

I hope you never develop similar medical conditions.