Freezing mashed Bananas

Page 1 / 2
islamicprince, Mar 27, 9:39pm
Can you freeze mashed banana and use it successfuly in baking later? or what would you all suggest?

lilyfield, Mar 27, 10:21pm
sure you can. Also freeze in skin, partially defrost and mash to add to cakes. Don't defrost for smoothies.

islamicprince, Mar 27, 10:29pm
cool...Thank you, will do that

jag5, Mar 28, 12:51am
Just chuck em in the freezer, skin and all.

cookessentials, Mar 28, 2:07am
I mash, add a little lemon juice to stop them going black and pop in a lidded container.

celosia, Mar 28, 3:57am
and how long can they be stored in the freezer please?

lilyfield, Mar 28, 10:21pm
sure you can. Also freeze in skin, partially defrost and mash to add to cakes. Don't defrost for smoothies.

celosia, Mar 29, 3:57am
and how long can they be stored in the freezer please!

shyly, Apr 3, 1:26am
I mash mine, measure them into 2 cup zip lock bags. They dont turn brown and you dont have to muck around with messy skins!!! Plus you can freeze them flat which saves on space and if your like me..easier to keep tidy.

seniorbones, Apr 3, 1:52am
Great idea...i will have to remember this one, I bought a large bag for baking really cheap and just put the lot in the freezer, they do go quite black and are messy to get out but much easier in bags as you have said.

shyly, Apr 3, 3:18am
Absolutely! Most of my banana recipes call for2 cups so thats why i measure them out like that. I use to freeze whole bananas but didnt like having to wait for them to defrost and then still having to peel and mash them. At least this way its all done for you, the bananas dont go brown (can add lemon juice if your still worried)and i just take the bag out when im ready to bake something and it defrosts in no time.

badams1, Apr 3, 3:27am
i watched an old lady ,make ice cream in minutes ,go try this. she took out 4 frozen bananas, into kitchen whizz with vanilla essence and a little sugar blitz. ,,,ice cream needs to be eaten straight away. enjoy.

winnie15, Apr 3, 7:12am
does anyone find that the bananas are more watery once thawed? seems to make cake batter too runny?

elliehen, Apr 3, 10:06am
Children like frozen bananas on a stick.Just cut the bananas in half, put a popsicle stick in the cut ends and freeze them.They taste like icecream.

seniorbones, Apr 3, 10:07am
Definately thats why I think mashing and in bags of 2 cups is such a great idea...they also seem harder to mash once thawed

duckmoon, Apr 3, 10:20am
yes... I peel the banana and freeze it whole...
my reason: they dont' take long to de-frost, but if i leave in on the bench and then get distracted, by the time I get back to baking, the banana hasn't gone brown (which, if mashed,it does if left after defrosting) - if it is whole, the process is more forgiving - less surface area to go brown.

Great to have for baking and smoothies

duckmoon, Apr 3, 10:21am
and if flat, they de-frost faster

shyly, Apr 4, 1:26am
I mash mine, measure them into 2 cup zip lock bags. They dont turn brown and you dont have to muck around with messy skins! Plus you can freeze them flat which saves on space and if your like me.easier to keep tidy.

seniorbones, Apr 4, 1:52am
Great idea.i will have to remember this one, I bought a large bag for baking really cheap and just put the lot in the freezer, they do go quite black and are messy to get out but much easier in bags as you have said.

whitehead., Apr 4, 2:59am
no ive never had any trouble but i like a soggy cake . i just bung them in the wizz .if ive left the skin on i pour boiling water over the skins to get them off

winnie15, Apr 4, 7:12am
does anyone find that the bananas are more watery once thawed! seems to make cake batter too runny!

seniorbones, Apr 4, 10:07am
Definately thats why I think mashing and in bags of 2 cups is such a great idea.they also seem harder to mash once thawed

duckmoon, Apr 4, 10:20am
yes. I peel the banana and freeze it whole.
my reason: they dont' take long to de-frost, but if i leave in on the bench and then get distracted, by the time I get back to baking, the banana hasn't gone brown (which, if mashed,it does if left after defrosting) - if it is whole, the process is more forgiving - less surface area to go brown.

Great to have for baking and smoothies

duckmoon, Apr 4, 10:21am
and if flat, they de-frost faster

whitehead., Apr 5, 2:59am
no ive never had any trouble but i like a soggy cake . i just bung them in the wizz .if ive left the skin on i pour boiling water over the skins to get them off