Substitute for Bananas in Cupcakes

lyndunc, Jul 9, 10:36pm
I have a lovely gluten free recipe for cupcakes, banana and chocolate chip. It says 1 cup of mashed bananas. I have made them with this and they turn out really nice. But I would like to try orange and chocolate chip instead. Do I need to put something else in to take the place of the bananas? I was going to use grated orange rind and a bit of orange juice.

articferrit, Jul 9, 11:47pm
try kiwi fruit mashed up instead of the banana.
the recipe is use has 2 cups flour, 1 cup banana and 1/2 c chocolate chips
and the other one is 2 cups flour, grated rind of 2 oranges, 3/4 cup orange juice.
I think the texture and wetness of the mix is more important than anything else.

lyndunc, Jul 10, 12:06am
Thank you very much, will give that a go! Well, without the kiwifruit, not a fan. , but with the orange juice and rind.

jobb, Jul 10, 12:19am
Use an whole Orange that has been blended up in the food processor. I use this method when making my orange cake.

ed65, Jul 10, 12:22am
I made a lovely orange cake this week where one of the ingredients was a whole orange whizzed up in the food processor. I think orange done that way would have about the same consistency as mashed banana, so you could try a straight swap?
Here's the recipe if you're interested (you could replace the raisins/walnuts with choc chips) http://www.bite.co.nz/recipe/14416/Orange-lightning-cake/

ed65, Jul 10, 12:23am
Whoops - you were quicker off the mark than I was, Jobb!

lyndunc, Jul 10, 12:31am
Thank you, never thought of doing the food processor thing with an orange, may give it a go.

articferrit, Jul 10, 1:37am
Orange lightning cake - annabel langbein recipe.

lyndunc, Jul 10, 4:15am
Thank you for your help, unfortunately I can't use ordinary flour, hence the gluten free recipe. However, I have just made some mini cupcakes using the juice and rind of the orange. The mixture was a bit dry, so I added some more oil and milk as it already had some of each. First lot cooling now and I think they will be fine. I can always pile icing on top and that will disguise any defects in the cooking - apart from the fact that I love icing and these are just for me!

eljayv, Jul 10, 8:47pm
Yes, and adapt this gf muffin recipe although they are very much like cupcakes already and delicious
Whole orange muffins
Ingredients
1 orange
1 egg
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups plain flour gf
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda

Directions

STEP 1 Process the orange, oil and sugar.
STEP 2 Add egg, pulse a few times.
STEP 3 Add sifted dry ingredients and process until just mixed.
STEP 4 Bake at 180C for 20 minutes.

I cut the thick top and bottom from my orange, and added more orange to make up the volume.

ed65, Jul 10, 11:54pm
All my baking has to be gluten free (husband has coeliac disease). I use 'normal' recipes and for flour I just substitute the same quantities of gluten free plain or self raising flour (the Free From Gluten brand from Countdown is $4 a bag), making sure the baking powder, spices, etc are GF too.

With my ginger crunch recipe, I use a cup of plain GF flour plus half a cup of rice flour - the rice flour gives it extra crunch.

lyndunc, Jul 11, 4:38am
Thank you for the recipe and tips. I must admit to not really knowing the difference between muffins and cupcakes, but not worried about it, I'll just give it a go at some time.

willman, Jul 17, 8:03pm
Fresh Orange Muffins:
1 orange, quartered and seeds removed (with peel)
1⁄2 cup orange juice
1 large egg
1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
3⁄4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 400F; spray a muffin tin (12) with non-stick cooking spray like Pam and set aside.
Put orange quarters in food processor (or blender) along with orange juice and process or blend until pureed.
Add egg and butter to food processor and combine; pour into large bowl.
Combine dry ingredients together in a separate bowl, then add all at once to orange mixture.
Stir to combine.
Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full.
Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes; remove from oven and let stand in tin for 5 minutes before removing muffins.

Got this recipe, off the web, sounds nice.

lythande1, Jul 28, 11:15am
Use the pulp as well, zest them, then juice them, then scrape out the pulp and put that in. You may need an extra bit of milk or water if a bit dry. I do this and it works well.