Jamie Oliver's Jerk Ham - substitute the rum?

nickyd, Dec 19, 8:22am
Hi tasted this the other week and it was delicious -would like to have a go at making it for Xmas day.In the recipe he specifies Golden Rum (didn't even know there was such a thing!) .
I don't really want to buy a whole bottle of spirits which will never be drunk just for a cup or two for this recipe - does anyone know if ordinary dark rum would produce a similar result? Thanks!

uli, Dec 19, 8:24am
Dark rum is much stronger flavoured than lighter versions. You could buy Appletons. Very nice to drink on its own or in black tea on cold winters night. I am sure it would not stay "undrunk".

veejay13, Dec 19, 8:26am
I don't know much about rum, but am assuming the dark will be "heavy" compared with the golden.Have you tried to get it in the miniatures bottles?

tehenga288, Dec 19, 8:33am
If you want the same taste you will need the golden rum ,2 cups would be at least half a bottle & the rest will keep till next year or in some places you can buy half bottles otherwise try using apple juice for a slightly different flavour.

nickyd, Dec 19, 8:53am
Thanks for the help- we're not spirit drinkers so wasn't sure.Will have a think or perhaps try a different recipe. Can't really justify the expense for 1 C per year!

accroul, Dec 19, 6:11pm
I'm sure the bottle of rum would last 4 years though!

hollypc, Dec 19, 6:36pm
couruba make a golden rum ,yum

hollypc, Dec 19, 6:37pm
can you post the recipe up

hollypc, Dec 19, 6:39pm
no worries got recipe, have you tried jerk chicken nice to was on the world kitchen programme

fionaschuler, Dec 20, 7:34am
why not buy a hip flask of rum-you dont need to buy a whole 40oz bottle or a 750-BTW it does last for ages but you can always send to me i only drink rum:)-not very often mind you but when i do want a glass of something thats what I drink yummy

nickyd, Nov 22, 4:45pm
I looked today and could only find full size bottles for around $37. I know it keeps, but thats pretty expensive for glazing a ham.Maybe I'll just try with the dark version and see what happens........