4kg of bananas that i need to use

helen490, Dec 8, 10:57pm
cakes use such a small amount of banana. Any ideas of how to use alot of them.
cheers

arielbooks, Dec 8, 11:08pm
I freeze them with their skin on and defrost when needed for cakes, squirt out the contents and stir through.

helen490, Dec 8, 11:25pm
Freezer not big enough :-(

tasmum, Dec 9, 12:21am
If you mash them and put them into snaplock bags, flatten them a bit then freeze. Would you be able to fit them in your freezer then?

sampa, Dec 9, 12:43am
Send them up to me Helen it has been urgently requested that I do a repeat making of the delicious, but utterly simple, banana loaf I made on Sunday. All mine are at the 'good for eating' stage right now so the requestees are gonna have to wait.

Chutney? As a change of pace from baking sweet stuff. I made one years ago that had banana along with other things in it. Very nice with a curry it was too. I know I still have the recipe somewhere. may even have to make that again as well now that it's popped into my head.

PS - apparently banana peel is excellent in the compost heap or even buried close to heavily flowering plants like roses. No idea if that's useful to you but thought I'd throw it in.

uli, Dec 9, 1:20am
I peel them, cut them into rounds and freeze them.
Then if I need a quick dessert - I throw them into the food processor with cream, vanilla, sugar and cinnamon and whizz - instant ice cream!

arielbooks, Dec 9, 1:33am
Banana curd is lovely on toast.

sampa, Dec 9, 1:54am

awoftam, Dec 9, 2:29am
Ohh yum! Thanks for that!

nauru, Dec 9, 6:00am
I do this too but don't add any sugar, my Grandies love it, sometimes for breakfast with their cereal. My daughter was horrified when the boys first told her that Nannan gave them ice cream for breakfast, that was until I explained what it was, lol.

awoftam, Dec 9, 6:50am
Ha ha I can just see her face lol.

Yip same, I wouldn't add the sugar as nanas are so sweet however I had never heard of doing this so an awesome tip. Thank you to both ladies!

uli, Dec 9, 8:03am
Ummm - I do NOT add sugar either .

BUT I thought you all need it in the recipe - will make a note who doesn't!

LOL :)

dk33, Dec 14, 1:10am
Like the other suggestions I just whizz up the frozen bananas on their own in a food processor and get instant ice cream! You could experiment with mixing things through it like peanut butter or chocolate chips or coconut or nuts or anything you can think of really.

macandrosie, Dec 14, 6:26am
If they aren't too far gone you can cut in half use an ice block stick in each & dip into melted chocolate then freeze on a tray. Nice frozen for the kids on a hot summers day.

nauru, Dec 14, 6:35am
Thanks for that tip, great little treat for the Grandies when they come to stay.

motorbo, Dec 14, 6:38am
ice cream. i do it all ways . cacao powder, banana, peanut butter, can add vanilla and coconut. go wild it it freezes too hard let it defrost a bit before you eat. its yum

sampa, Apr 17, 3:10am
Looks like banana ice-cream is the winner on this thread. I am 100% in agreement. Yum. pass me the bowl!