Bananas that have been in freezer...

Page 1 / 2
korbo, Apr 15, 4:41am
Put some fairly ripe bananas in the freezer, as had read about it on here, took them out today to make a cake. left them on the bench to thaw, and man they are just a watery mess.
was I supposed to thaw them, or try and put them in the mixer hard.
help...

lilyfield, Apr 15, 4:57am
just add he watery mess- no harm will come off it.

jessie981, Apr 15, 5:08am
Will be fine. Helps in the moistness of the cake. Also don't worry if they are very brown & smell a bit strong. All be good when baked
ps. you icing with real emon icing (yum) of choc?

lx4000, Apr 15, 5:13am
I 2nd jessie981 and lilyfield re the bananas!!

I would go for soft butter rubbed into icing sugar then add fresh lemon juice and beat for 5 mins to make the bestest icing for banana cakes etc:)

dollmakernz, Apr 15, 9:01am
I just thaw and then use them, the cakes are always nice and moist and it brings out the flavour more than a fresh banana

punkinthefirst, Apr 15, 8:54pm
All will be fine when the cake is baked.

cookessentials, Apr 15, 9:52pm
They can often look quite awful, however, the banana cake comes out just as well as it does using freshly mashed banana

korbo, Apr 15, 10:17pm
oh dear, I s huldve waited to get replies. I threw them out, well actually huby did...he couldnt stand the sight or smell. but will now know in future that if i freeze them, they will be ok.
thanks so much for info.

susieq9, Apr 15, 10:23pm
Straight from the freezer, into the microwave for about 20 seconds, and should be soft enough to mash for the banana cake. I do this because I usually forget to take them out of freezer or want to make cake straight away.

jessie981, Apr 15, 11:03pm
Making a cake for shared lunch @ work so going to use your icing hint. Yum

korbo, Apr 16, 4:41am
Put some fairly ripe bananas in the freezer, as had read about it on here, took them out today to make a cake. left them on the bench to thaw, and man they are just a watery mess.
was I supposed to thaw them, or try and put them in the mixer hard.
help.

jessie981, Apr 16, 5:08am
Will be fine. Helps in the moistness of the cake. Also don't worry if they are very brown & smell a bit strong. All be good when baked
ps. you icing with real emon icing (yum) of choc!

lx4000, Apr 16, 5:13am
I 2nd jessie981 and lilyfield re the bananas!

I would go for soft butter rubbed into icing sugar then add fresh lemon juice and beat for 5 mins to make the bestest icing for banana cakes etc:)

frogz99, Apr 16, 6:08am
I just chop them up straight into the mixing bowl when the recipe says to add the banana, I don't mash them at all.As an extra use for frozen bananas, I peel the skins off, they come off quite easily straight from the freezer using atable knife, then push a teaspoon handle into the banana and give to the littlies for a yummy 'ice block'.My kids loved them and they are great for teething toddlers

kinna54, Apr 16, 8:00am
They'll be fine. look disgusting, but they will be wonderful cooked. In future tho, just mash as is.

korbo, Apr 16, 10:17pm
oh dear, I s huldve waited to get replies. I threw them out, well actually huby did.he couldnt stand the sight or smell. but will now know in future that if i freeze them, they will be ok.
thanks so much for info.

frogz99, Apr 17, 6:08am
I just chop them up straight into the mixing bowl when the recipe says to add the banana, I don't mash them at all.As an extra use for frozen bananas, I peel the skins off, they come off quite easily straight from the freezer using atable knife, then push a teaspoon handle into the banana and give to the littlies for a yummy 'ice block'.My kids loved them and they are great for teething toddlers

kinna54, Apr 17, 8:00am
They'll be fine. look disgusting, but they will be wonderful cooked. In future tho, just mash as is.

murdoc4, Apr 20, 8:12am
Frozen banana pieces make the best banana smoothies!

nauru, Apr 21, 12:13pm
Bananas are $15 kg here in Melbourne.

sarahb5, Apr 21, 11:26pm
I freeze the ones the kids won't eat and put them in the smallest Glad containers that hold 250ml.I peel them but leave them whole and one cup is what my banana cake recipe calls for.

n00dle, Apr 21, 11:36pm
Wow, nauru, that's obscene!

And I agree with all the other posters ... frozen, watery bananas work perfectly in a banana cake.

sleyle, Apr 22, 1:55am
I agree with the poster who said frozen banana pieces make the best smoothies.Just had one :-)

sarahb5, Apr 22, 11:26pm
I freeze the ones the kids won't eat and put them in the smallest Glad containers that hold 250ml.I peel them but leave them whole and one cup is what my banana cake recipe calls for.

n00dle, Apr 22, 11:36pm
Wow, nauru, that's obscene!

And I agree with all the other posters . frozen, watery bananas work perfectly in a banana cake.