Samoan cooking- re green bananas

kiwicoopers, Feb 3, 3:40am
I have just boiled green bananas and I have opened a can of cocnut cream... now what lol ? ?

kiwicoopers, Feb 3, 3:46am
found one

10 green bananas
1 c. coconut milk
1 sm. onion, chopped fine
Salt to flavor

Peel green banana in cold water with a table knife. Make sure all skin is removed. Boil all bananas about 20 minutes - until cooked similar to cooked potatoes, but not too soft. Drain all water and add coconut milk, chopped onion and salt. Simmer 15 minutes more. Do not burn! For 5 people to enjoy!

hollypc, Feb 3, 4:23am
is that nice ,I have never tried .are bananas bitter.

goldgurl, Feb 3, 5:30am
nope - not bitter - just bland - like taro, potatoes...

I like green bananas when they are ALMOST about to start ripening...they end up 'bland' but with a very slight sweetness :)

uli, Feb 3, 5:34am
I usually peel raw, then slice and pan fry.
Then add coconut milk, spring onions, chilli.

davidt4, Feb 3, 5:37am
Is there a trick to peeling them Uli?I've always found it difficult, and plantains almost impossible.

goldgurl, Feb 3, 5:43am
David, I run a blunt (or butter knife) down the 'outward curve' of the banana (just enough to get throught the layer of peel) and then gently prize it open gradually...some family members find it easier to put the green bananas in a sink of hot water...

either way, once peeled I gently scrape a couple of mm's off the entire banana then cook.

uli, Feb 3, 5:56am
I do the same - you basically cut the banana skin lengthwise and then carefully peel them across the cut - if that makes sense.
And yes - all traces of peel must go - cut it off if need be, as it would be bitter.

Plantains I love ripe I must say - so I let them go yellow and a bit soft, they are easy to peel then. I halve them lengthwise and fry in butter as a side dish.

vailima1, Feb 3, 7:34am
Don't peel them

Boil them in their skins.

Add a little cooking oil to the water as you get a little sticky stuff on the side of the pan and this makes it easier to clean.

When the the skin splits they are cooked

Yumm!

mottly, Mar 19, 3:52pm
mmmmmmmmm.......and vailima.....mmm...niice beer!