What is the best way to store bananas?

starfish18, Feb 14, 2:49am
mine go brown too quick on the bench

petal1955, Feb 14, 2:50am
On a banana tree......away from all other fruits...

starfish18, Feb 14, 2:54am
Thanks,I do store them in a seperate bowl but do you mean to store them right away from other fruits?

petal1955, Feb 14, 2:56am
Yes the other fruits help them to brown.....

starfish18, Feb 14, 2:59am
thanks

kay141, Feb 14, 3:42am
I read in an english magazine to wrap each separately in tinfoil and store in the fridge. My first lot have just been done so I will be interested to see the results. I hate soft bananas.

margyr, Feb 14, 4:10am
my brother was just saying on the weekend to store in the fridge, the skin goes brown but apparently the banana stays perfect and does not soften.

onekiwigirl, Feb 14, 5:00am
Yes I also store mine in the fridge, the skin goes brown but the banana is still nice on the inside. I like to eat them cold especially in the summer.I have found that they definitely keep longer in the fridge than out in the open.And no, it is not because they are out of sight so no one eats them!!! Cheers

duckmoon, Feb 14, 5:34am
bananas release a hormone that ripes them... if you want them to keep as long as possible, you need to store them so the hormone doesn't linger around the fruit.

(the hormone also ripes other fruit).
So keeping bananas in a separate fruit bowl helps.
Hanging bananas from a "banana tree" (which is basically a hook to keep them upright) helps

and if you want to store them in a fruit bowl, then breaking each banana away from the bunch also helps.

Finally, i have started buying fair trade bananas at the supermarket; and have found that they stay nice longer...

I haven't gone down the fridge route, because of the skins

marlin9, Feb 14, 5:51am
Yes have been told that pulling them apart helps.But me and Bananas do not mix unless still a little green; the hormone thingy

susieq9, Feb 15, 2:26am
Our house gets very hot, so by pulling them apart definately does help. And keep them away from other fruits, especially apples. We also keep them on a banana hammock, that way the air flows right round them.