Ripe bananas question....

sophia103, Apr 28, 9:29am
Ok. I know that "ripe" bananas are the best for baking a banana cake so went out to get some, but then something stopped me from getting any. I went to about 5 different dairies and all of them had ripe bananas that were swarming with what looked like sandflies. Are these the ones to get? The only bananas with nothing flying around them were the "fresh" bananas.

rarogal, Apr 28, 9:37am
The riper the better, gives the best flavour in the cake.Doesn't matter how soft they are.

jessie981, Apr 28, 9:38am
The older the better.

skyline26, Apr 28, 9:42am
yip thay the onesits all about the flavour in your cake.

sophia103, Apr 28, 9:45am
The riper/ older the better. Yes that's what I thought and every shop I went too had these types of bananas. The only thing putting me off from getting them was all the sandflies covering them. So is this still ok to buy?

lindylambchops1, Apr 28, 9:54am
Usually the stores place the ripe bananas in plastic bags to stop the flies getting to them.I would probably give them a miss!Look for ones already bagged up.

sophia103, Apr 28, 10:01am
Thanks. All the shops I went to didn't have anything covering them. Just open boxes and swarms of sandflies lol. I will look for some covered ones tomorrow :)

skyline26, Apr 28, 11:55pm
you know urself if it dont look right or you are doutfull dont get or use. id be looking for a place that has good hygene just for that piece of mind, you can get not so ripe bananas and mash them up and let it sit in the fridge thay will go brown and have lil more flavour for your cake.

marcs, Apr 29, 12:09pm
Currently in Auzzie banana's are around $17 a kg. At the moment I refuse to buy bananas.

duckmoon, Apr 29, 12:21pm
If you are at the supermarket - ask if they have any ripe ones... often called "salad bananas"

books4nz, Apr 29, 2:52pm
Or buy some banana's and leave them on your bench till they're ready to use - lots of brown spots will show.

lythande1, Apr 29, 7:41pm
Or get not quite ripe and put them in the freezer. Works the same way, they'll go black and mushy in no time.