Green rhubarb

tigermm, Jan 9, 7:54pm
A colleague has brought in some rhubarb for me to bake as he has no idea how to cook it. He has picked it and it is still green however! Can I still use this to make crumble and rhubarb filling for brioche etc., or is green rhubarb a no go?

jimmy.k, Jan 9, 8:05pm
It should be fine. Lots of rhubarb is naturally green anyway. The red variety is becoming hard to get. Out of 8 plants that I grow only two of them are of the red variety. The rest are green and to be honest, when cooked the flavour is the same as the red ones

harrislucinda, Jan 9, 9:40pm
greentypeisnicerthanredbutifnothappywithgreenlookingjustasafewdropsoffoodcolour

tigermm, Jan 9, 10:09pm
Great, thank you! I'm not sure if it's a green variety anyway, so will just go ahead and bake up a storm. Thanks for your help.

macandrosie, Jan 13, 6:55am
actually some plants are a green variety & some are red. Either way rhubarb is always bitter, cut into about 1 inch pieces & place in your pie dish with a tiny bit of water & some sugar to taste.

gildon, Jan 13, 7:35am
Recently had a few leftover tinned boysenberries - not enough to really do anything with so added them to a bowl of cooked green rhubarb - yummy!!!Will do this again.

elliehen, Jan 13, 8:04am
If you put 'rhubarb' in as the keyword in the search function at top left, you'll get some tasty ideas for rhubarb.

trah, Jan 13, 7:48pm
Throw a few fresh, cut up strawberries into the pot when it is near the end of the rhubarb cooking time:that makes it pink, and the flavour combo is divine.

kiwibubbles, Jan 13, 8:01pm
how do i know whether rhubarb is of the red or green variety?

gilligee, Jan 14, 11:10pm
Use your eyes!

mkbooks, Jan 14, 11:39pm
Just put some raspberry essence into it-colour + flavour boost

kiwibubbles, Jan 15, 12:49am
excuse me? how do i know its just not red rhubarb that hasn't gone ripe yet, or green rhubarb that will never turn red? that's quite a difference which is why i was asking.

jaybee2003, Jan 15, 1:55am
Rhubarb is strange in that 'greeness' doesn't mean 'unripeness', and the young stalks taste just as good as the more mature stalks. Like baby carrots or baby turnips, the question of 'unripeness' never arises.

Even young rhubarb stems from a red producing rhubarb that are greener or less redder than the rest of the plant, tastes as good and are often sweeter than big thick strong red stalks.

kiwibubbles, Feb 2, 11:18am
hmm ok so if i think it looks ok i should just cut some and use it?
i'm paranoid about the poisonous rhubarb leaves - i've had ppl telling me if i touch the leaves to wash my hands immediately! lol