Dumplings in a stew

angie117, Apr 4, 12:13am
Have never made these before, have a stew cooking in the crock pot, can they go in a crock pot, or are they better in a oven.

lilyfield, Apr 4, 12:18am
yep- just put on top of stew in crockpot. i simply use a thick scone dough -spoonfulls on the stew- leave room to raise. Cook another 15 minutes.

alby100, Apr 4, 12:25am
you should trypushing little squares of blue cheese into your scone dumplings...

sunflowers28, Apr 4, 12:26am
I have alwaysput the dumplings on top of the stew when I cook it .You could make up a scone recipe and add the cooked scones into the crockpot for the last hour.

elliehen, Apr 4, 1:06am
Herbs are good too.

alby100, Apr 5, 12:25am
you should trypushing little squares of blue cheese into your scone dumplings.

scrappy-doo, Apr 6, 4:36am
Add mustard powder, cayenne pepper and parsely to the scone mixture for savoury dumplings.

fifie, Apr 6, 5:02am
Sometimes for a change instead of dumplings Icut 1/2 a french bread stick into 1cm slices spread generously with garlic or plain butter.Place your cooked casserole in a oven proof dish put bread slices on top overlapping each one as you place them all round,sprinkle with grated cheese, fan bake in a preheated oven 200c till casserole is hot and top is nice and golden.

beaker59, Apr 6, 6:14am
Personally I'm not a fan of the scone dough ones however on my last trip to Germany I had some dumplings which were really nice and not floury things wouldn't mind knowing what they were and how to make them.

malcovy, Apr 6, 6:29am
Always keep the lid on for the recommended time for cooking the dumplings when cooking on the stove, it makes them nice and light.I have only ever made them in pot but it would work in crockpot on high I'd imagine.

daleaway, Apr 6, 7:39pm
The secret of light fluffy dumplings is to make sure they have some fat in them. Cut/rub some butter or marge (or suet) into your flour and salt mix, then mix in milk to make your scone dough.
I like parsley in mine as well.

beaker59, Apr 7, 6:14am
Personally I'm not a fan of the scone dough ones however on my last trip to Germany I had some dumplings which were really nice and not floury things wouldn't mind knowing what they were and how to make them.

malcovy, Apr 7, 6:29am
Always keep the lid on for the recommended time for cooking the dumplings when cooking on the stove, it makes them nice and light.I have only ever made them in pot but it would work in crockpot on high I'd imagine.