Roast Beef - Rolled Rib Roast

minik8e, May 15, 12:27am
Could anyone give me some tips on the best way to cook this?I have a 750g one defrosting in the fridge for tomorrow, and it's been a hugely long time since I last cooked one.I will do it with some roast veges and gravy.It does need to be toddler friendly with flavours....

mamaa, May 15, 11:05pm
Put a few cloves of garlic inrub with a bit of salt, and I rub in a bit of Oil, then place in med ovenand cook quite slowly...You can just check often, and maybe put your veg around it after an hour.Can always take your meat out, as better rested for .1/2 hour before serving.Cover in foil if you want to keep warm...Turn oven up a bit when veg go in.I am not a stickler for times, I just test meat with a skewer,dont overcook, as beef becomes tough if over cooked..good lucksounds delicious.And get some horseradish sauce to spice up the flavours.Littlie will enjoy with just the garlic flavour...And gravy of course..

minik8e, May 16, 12:27am
Could anyone give me some tips on the best way to cook this!I have a 750g one defrosting in the fridge for tomorrow, and it's been a hugely long time since I last cooked one.I will do it with some roast veges and gravy.It does need to be toddler friendly with flavours.

punkinthefirst, May 16, 2:37am
Toddlers usually take their cues from the adults. (Apart from overly spicy foods, of course). Dish up a small proportion of everything and don't make a fuss if everything isn't eaten.
My kids loved garlic, cabbage and brocolli and all the usual vegetables at a young age, and would try anything. Both are now in their 30's, and great cooks!

minik8e, May 16, 3:03am
Unfortunately I have a nasty cold so food isn't tempting for me, besides I can't taste it at the moment anyway!!!Garlic and salt sounds yuuuummmmm though....what do you class as medium?Roasts aren't something I do often anymore really.And veges aren't something my toddlers do often (except potatoes and occasionally broccoli/cauli) so roast ones will be interesting - I have kumara, potato and pumpkin.

eljayv, May 16, 9:25pm
crockpot will make it really tender and you will get lovely juices for gravy making

mamaa, May 16, 11:05pm
Put a few cloves of garlic inrub with a bit of salt, and I rub in a bit of Oil, then place in med ovenand cook quite slowly.You can just check often, and maybe put your veg around it after an hour.Can always take your meat out, as better rested for .1/2 hour before serving.Cover in foil if you want to keep warm.Turn oven up a bit when veg go in.I am not a stickler for times, I just test meat with a skewer,dont overcook, as beef becomes tough if over cooked.good lucksounds delicious.And get some horseradish sauce to spice up the flavours.Littlie will enjoy with just the garlic flavour.And gravy of course.

punkinthefirst, May 17, 2:37am
Toddlers usually take their cues from the adults. (Apart from overly spicy foods, of course). Dish up a small proportion of everything and don't make a fuss if everything isn't eaten.
My kids loved garlic, cabbage and brocolli and all the usual vegetables at a young age, and would try anything. Both are now in their 30's, and great cooks!

minik8e, May 17, 3:03am
Unfortunately I have a nasty cold so food isn't tempting for me, besides I can't taste it at the moment anyway!Garlic and salt sounds yuuuummmmm though.what do you class as medium!Roasts aren't something I do often anymore really.And veges aren't something my toddlers do often (except potatoes and occasionally broccoli/cauli) so roast ones will be interesting - I have kumara, potato and pumpkin.

kscott3, May 17, 9:25am
can I have the crockpot recipe please eljayv ,do you brown the meat first ?

fifie, May 17, 8:19pm
Rub a little oil all over your meat, season with S/P or your fav meat rub. Hot pan on the range brown meat all sides to add to flavour. Place meat in your pre heated C/pot drizzle a little balsamic vinegar over the top, or red wine vinegar if you have that lid on and leave it to cook. When done take meat out rest, cover with tin foil, use juices to make yummy gravy in a pot on range. Nice tender meat for you. Tip, if your using old C/pot cook high, if using new slow cooker use auto as these cook a little hotter and quicker than C/Pot...

cats5, May 17, 8:25pm
put in crock potcracked pepper over top and a splash of soya saucelid on and onto auto all dayyum

eljayv, May 17, 9:48pm
I remove as much fat as possible then just season and put the meat in the crockpot.In the evening I remove it and place it in warming draw while I drain the juices and if necessary put it through a fat strainer and season and thicken with lentil flour or you could use flour or Bistoif you want.The gravy is always delicious.If you are working you can prepare your veg to roast and precook them partially in the microwave then roll them or brush them in oil and put into a hot oven for 30 -40 minutes to crisp up.

kscott3, May 18, 9:25am
can I have the crockpot recipe please eljayv ,do you brown the meat first !

fifie, May 18, 8:19pm
Rub a little oil all over your meat, season with S/P or your fav meat rub. Hot pan on the range brown meat all sides to add to flavour. Place meat in your pre heated C/pot drizzle a little balsamic vinegar over the top, or red wine vinegar if you have that lid on and leave it to cook. When done take meat out rest, cover with tin foil, use juices to make yummy gravy in a pot on range. Nice tender meat for you. Tip, if your using old C/pot cook high, if using new slow cooker use auto as these cook a little hotter and quicker than C/Pot.