Mystery rolled 'roast beef' - help please?

sarahj1, Dec 3, 10:16pm
I have just defrosted a rolled (in netting) 2kg piece of beef that we got with a home kill meat order.The label just says "Roast Beef"It seems to be a streaky fatty outer layer rolled around a thicker, fat-free inner piece. Not sure how I should cook this sucker?
I don't like the look of the outer layer much - can I take the roll apart and just cook the inner piece?
If so, what is it likely to be - rump??
Looking for any ideas or suggestions please - any butchers out there?

noonesgirl, Dec 3, 10:47pm
Roast, (leave netting on as this will stop it falling apart), it may have stuffing which will/would give it a bit of flavour.

nik12, Dec 3, 10:51pm
I put them in the slow cooker - just as is, usually still frozen as well lol.
Then when I'm cutting it up I cut the fatty bits out, an easy job as it's all falling apart anyway.
I agree it may well have been stuffed.

fisher, Dec 3, 11:02pm
Fat is flavour.. For me, I would roast it as is.. the middle would be nice and tender.. slice in some garlic slivers and rosemary sprigs... and sit it on some fresh rosemary while roasting..

rumbledoll, Dec 3, 11:21pm
My dad gets these horrid things made up as well when he does a home kill.I don't like them but he makes me take one home for the freezer.
Just keep the netting on or it'll fall apart when cooking.Its really only a flap off a joint rolled up.Its not that great a bit of meat but its sustenance.Cook in a roasting dish for about 2 hours depending on size with a bit of water as the meat will be rolled in fat with the meat likely.

sarahj1, Dec 3, 11:51pm
Thanks for the suggestions - it's not stuffed - the piece inside looks nice, so I might just roast it slowly whole and then give the dog the fatty outside bit (early Xmas pressie for him!)

uli, Dec 4, 12:25am
Send it onto me - that fatty outer bit - what a waste to give it to the dog. Maybe try a little piece once it is roasted? You might surprise yourself and like it :)

herself, Dec 4, 2:29am
I would roast it VERY long and slow or cook it in the crock pot.I too would give the fatty bit to the dog - my doctor would approve!

dezzie, Dec 4, 5:36am
I'd cook it in the oven, still slow tho, but that fatty outside bit frazzles off pretty much leaving a nice crunchy bit, that browns nicely, that part of the cow isn't really suitable for anything else, so its rolled roast or sausages, I like them, they are a favourite in this house.
We are heathens and cook everything from frozen, but to me, two hours is nowhere near long enough even if it was defrostedlong and slow to me is throwing it on at the end of lunchtime if you want to eat at 6...at 150 max, usually 140, then check at 5 when you are throwing the roast vege in, if its cooked, wrap in tinfoil and then a towel and leave it, it'll stay hot for an hour easy...

sarahj1, Sep 30, 12:16pm
Decided in the end to unroll it and cut up the inside and slow cook it as chilli con carne.After 2 1/1 hours it was deliciously tender.Dog is enjoying the fatty outside layer! Thanks for your help