Help with rolled roast beef

rivercottage1, Mar 15, 7:30am
i have a nice piece of beef to cook for guests tomorrow night. iwas looking through the message board for inspiration and have seen that many enjoy it cooked in the crock pot. my concern is that it wouldn't cook to a med/rear stage and that it would just completely cook eg no pink in the middle. hopefully this makes sense. i quess it all about the cooking time as in a oven. so how long would it need - cooking on low its 1.5kg.
the next issue is not wanting it to stew, how do you get around that one with all the liquid that is sure to develop.
i thank you for your help, i don't want to stuff it up i'm cooking for foodies!

valentino, Mar 15, 7:57am
I usually brown the outside firstly by being in the oven at about 190 to 200c in a wee bit of oil. This is done by turning the meat (on it's side) at very regular intervals of about 8 to 10 minutes at a time until all sides is well browned.

Then lower the temp to 175 to 185c and (continuing on it's side and rotate it say every 20 minutes) cook for 30 minutes per .5 kg of weight for well done but not over-cooked.

For medium - rear, perhaps about 25 minutes per.5 kg ( yours about 75 to 80 minutes).

Best to have a proper meat thermometer to get the best final check on where the meat is at after suggested time to know that it is cooked to perfection.

Very important then to allow the roast to rest for at least 10 to 15 minutes, this allows the juices within to settle down and balance the texture ideally.

Sometimes I like to season the meat before I start like basic black pepper and salt or a nice wholegrain mustard rub with pieces of garlic poked into the meat.

Cheers.

nfh1, Mar 15, 8:16am
I would put it in the oven rivercottage - I think it would not cook medium rare in the slow cooker with the liquid which would be produced.I could be wrong though!

___ellajac___, Mar 15, 8:19am
I agree with nfh1

kinna54, Mar 15, 9:11am
Agree with nfh1. Think the slow cooker would tend to broil it. I am in favour of searing (To seal the flavour) it first then roasting. I would let it be more on the rarer side and give it a resting time (resting time depends on the size of the cut anything from 10mins onwards.) Both Gordon Ramsay and our own Jo Seagar recommend the searing and resting of beef and roasts.

pickles7, Mar 15, 9:24am
Slow cooker is perfect for a rolled beef.
I wouldn't cook a beef roast any other way now.
We now buy all our meat from the butchers as against the Supermarkets.
I remove mine when the internal temp is 160deg F,71deg C. It should be medium, juicy, tender.I cut up an onion ,carrot, to sit the meat on after I have seared it. Add a cup of water a soup mix, this helps with the gravy. I cannot tell you how long, to cook it, It would depend on the size etc. 4 to 6 hours.

rivercottage1, Mar 15, 9:31am
hey thanks all, i think your right in the oven she will go. now the panic of the yorkshire puds. grumbles at partner for inviting people mid week :-)

nfh1, Mar 15, 9:32am
Enjoy - have a lovely evening.

bedazzledjewels, Mar 15, 9:37pm
Let us know how you get on rivercottage.

herself, Mar 16, 3:55am
A crock-pot/slow cooker is not a broiler and will NOT Broil anything.... but will certainly cook a rolled roast to perfection.yummmm
To Broil a piece of meat is to cook itunder extreme heat, to scorch, to burn, to cook in a broiler -a broiler is a gridiron, a metal hot plate, what we calla grill!Americans often refer to broiling a steak - we would say we were putting a steak on the BBQ!
Phew....got that out of my system........heheheh

uli, Mar 16, 4:10am
I would check what cut your rolled roast is first. If it is brisket - which is the usual rolled roast in this country - then you will have to roast it or stew it (in the crockpot) to death if you want to be able to eat it. No way you can have a pink middle.

If it is a nice tender piece of meat which happens to be rolled then you can do the pink bit of course. And I would do that in the oven.

Good luck!

rivercottage1, Mar 16, 7:30am
i have a nice piece of beef to cook for guests tomorrow night. iwas looking through the message board for inspiration and have seen that many enjoy it cooked in the crock pot. my concern is that it wouldn't cook to a med/rear stage and that it would just completely cook eg no pink in the middle. hopefully this makes sense. i quess it all about the cooking time as in a oven. so how long would it need - cooking on low its 1.5kg.
the next issue is not wanting it to stew, how do you get around that one with all the liquid that is sure to develop.
i thank you for your help, i don't want to stuff it up i'm cooking for foodies!

valentino, Mar 16, 7:57am
I usually brown the outside firstly by being in the oven at about 190 to 200c in a wee bit of oil. This is done by turning the meat (on it's side) at very regular intervals of about 8 to 10 minutes at a time until all sides is well browned.

Then lower the temp to 175 to 185c and (continuing on it's side and rotate it say every 20 minutes) cook for 30 minutes per .5 kg of weight for well done but not over-cooked.

For medium - rear, perhaps about 25 minutes per.5 kg ( yours about 75 to 80 minutes).

Best to have a proper meat thermometer to get the best final check on where the meat is at after suggested time to know that it is cooked to perfection.

Very important then to allow the roast to rest for at least 10 to 15 minutes, this allows the juices within to settle down and balance the texture ideally.

Sometimes I like to season the meat before I start like basic black pepper and salt or a nice wholegrain mustard rub with pieces of garlic poked into the meat.

Cheers.

rivercottage1, Mar 16, 8:50am
yippee it was delish, thankyou for help. i managed to bluff my way through that one rather well although the yorkies are another story(they didn't make it out to the table this time) oops i need to get that one sorted, well thats one for another day. thanks team. wipes brow now and pours another drink.

nfh1, Mar 16, 9:04am
Cheers rivercottage - I am from Lancashire but my Mum was from Yorkshire so have to say this in a whisper -

I have, on occasion used frozen Yorkshire puddings from Aunt Bessy's (I think) and they are fine!Not as good as home made but definitely reliable.Take four minutes in the oven and are definitely stress reducing.My husband thinks Yorkshires should be eaten with chicken, pork and beef but for two it can be a pain.

pickles7, Mar 16, 9:24am
Slow cooker is perfect for a rolled beef.
I wouldn't cook a beef roast any other way now.
We now buy all our meat from the butchers as against the Supermarkets.
I remove mine when the internal temp is 160deg F,71deg C. It should be medium, juicy, tender.I cut up an onion ,carrot, to sit the meat on after I have seared it. Add a cup of water a soup mix, this helps with the gravy. I cannot tell you how long, to cook it, It would depend on the size etc. 4 to 6 hours.

rivercottage1, Mar 16, 6:39pm
well problem solved, next time i guess aunt bessy going to be my new friend, thanks for that i'll get some next time i go shopping. never againto smoky kitchen with fire alarm soundingand 4 year old running about with crumbs flying all over nicely cleaned house. all i can say is thank goodness every one was running late because a half hour before everyone arrived things were mighty crazy in this house. :-)

herself, Mar 17, 3:55am
A crock-pot/slow cooker is not a broiler and will NOT Broil anything. but will certainly cook a rolled roast to perfection.yummmm
To Broil a piece of meat is to cook itunder extreme heat, to scorch, to burn, to cook in a broiler -a broiler is a gridiron, a metal hot plate, what we calla grill!Americans often refer to broiling a steak - we would say we were putting a steak on the BBQ!
Phew.got that out of my system.heheheh

rivercottage1, Mar 17, 8:50am
yippee it was delish, thankyou for help. i managed to bluff my way through that one rather well although the yorkies are another story(they didn't make it out to the table this time) oops i need to get that one sorted, well thats one for another day. thanks team. wipes brow now and pours another drink.

nfh1, Mar 17, 9:04am
Cheers rivercottage - I am from Lancashire but my Mum was from Yorkshire so have to say this in a whisper -

I have, on occasion used frozen Yorkshire puddings from Aunt Bessy's (I think) and they are fine!Not as good as home made but definitely reliable.Take four minutes in the oven and are definitely stress reducing.My husband thinks Yorkshires should be eaten with chicken, pork and beef but for two it can be a pain.

rivercottage1, Mar 17, 6:39pm
well problem solved, next time i guess aunt bessy going to be my new friend, thanks for that i'll get some next time i go shopping. never againto smoky kitchen with fire alarm soundingand 4 year old running about with crumbs flying all over nicely cleaned house. all i can say is thank goodness every one was running late because a half hour before everyone arrived things were mighty crazy in this house. :-)