Why are our potatoes horrible.....

Page 3 / 4
deb1110, Apr 25, 6:16am
please keep your receipt and take them back - complain to retailer, its the only way to let the growers know we don't want their cr.p nadines and others!

kuaka, Apr 25, 6:47am
It's not just nadine that are horrible - I bought some "vivaldi" a while back (what a stupid name for a potato!) and they are awful.They don't mash any good, you can't chip them as they just go brown before they are cooked, they do roast, but not all that well.I'll never buy them again.

dec1066, Apr 25, 7:32am
In the past couple of weeks I've bought 2 lots of potatoes from 2 diferent supermarkets, both labelled agria and they were anything but.

uli, Apr 25, 8:10am
And you didn't bring them back after the first cook-up!
And why not!

beaker59, Apr 26, 1:56am
I don't get the hype over Agria they are good roasters for sure but also very variable often a bit dissapointing. Currently our local greengrocer has some very nice "driver" potatoes which are a good gp potato not long ago they had some "Ilam Hardy" which were also pretty good.

elliehen, Apr 26, 2:09am
If you grow your own, it's Ilam Hardy to plant early and dig for Christmas, and Rua to plant for winter keepers.

olwen, Dec 8, 7:27am
Buy agrias.I won't eat anything else.

terraalba, Dec 8, 8:05am
Were they imported or NZ!

kuaka, Dec 8, 8:38am
so what do you do when agria aren't available !

elliehen, Dec 8, 8:48am
Best all-round potato is a variety called 'Maris Anchor'.

olwen, Dec 8, 9:05am
Look in the Four Square at Spring Creek.They have them when others don't.

kuaka, Dec 8, 9:31am
Spring Creek being where! I'm in northland - I see you're in Blenheim.Seems a long way to go for 10kg of spuds.

beaker59, Dec 8, 9:36am
I love them too great roasters or frying, but isn't that a bit restrictive to only eat Agrias there are some beautiful other varieties out there which make much better potato salads and for boiled spuds.

onenana, Dec 8, 11:17am
Agrias are brilliant for making chips with. It's a bit of a pain when you're on a tight budget and can only afford one bag of spuds. Ideally I'd like to have the spuds specifically for mashing and the Agria for chips and roasting. Of course the smaller amount you buy (bagged) the more you pay. Though i must say, I've found freezing mashed spud works very well, so it's possible to cook up heaps and freeze what you aren't using. If you are interested.you freeze them in a large ice cube tray (that is, a tray with large cubes) and just take out as many "cubes" as you want and nuke them.

korbo, Dec 8, 5:47pm
elliehen.that is the name of the ones on talkback on sat. i didnt quite catch the name, will DEFINATLy be looking for them. the talkback person, said they are the only ones to buy.
Has anyone in the Hawkes Bay area seen them for sale.
we travel to wgtn a lot, so if anyone knows of them on the way, please let me know.
Agria are ok, what happened to rua and illam hardy.thanks all for info

korbo, Dec 12, 7:37am
in such a hurry tonight to see some groceries, and i grabbed.a bag of nadine spuds. didnt realise till they went thru the checkout. it is only a 2.5kf bag, so hopefully they will be ok.

Still waiting to hear of anyone in my area who knows where the maris anchor spuds are.

kay141, Dec 12, 8:28am
Most of the potatoes available at the moment are new season and are waxy and full of sugars. That means they don't mash or roast very well. You need starchy potatoes for that.

blackbart1, Dec 17, 9:58am
Nardine spuds are alright if you add an egg instead of butter!

herself, Dec 17, 9:37pm
LOL Me too!I'm liking Agria spuds a lot.

brish, Dec 18, 12:30am
Funny how no-one likes the Nadine ones, but they are the most commonly available ones.Are they cheaper to grow!I'm growing some Ilam Hardy and I'm hoping they will be delicious.We had a few last year and hoping for more this year.

lizab, Dec 18, 7:21am
I believe the potatoes farmers call Nadine potatoes the 'Dumb Blonde' ! Can't for the life of me remember where I read it, but I'm sure it was for Nadine lol!

yapper, Dec 18, 9:31am
I agree, they are disgusting - I have taken to buying 'loose' ones then i can choose the sizes and the 'look'. Turns out to be only marginally dearer than the pre-packaged ones.I will do this from now on, I am so fed up.

bev00, Apr 24, 11:37am
Spuds go "glassy" when left in the ground too long.
My faves are Heather and Purple Passion

dibble35, Apr 24, 5:22pm
A previous poster mentioned how awful their moonlight potatoes were. i'm the opposite, I deliberatley buy these cause i think they are really nice spuds. Everyones tastes are diff I suppose. but yes theres nothing like your own freshly dug out of the garden. yum

toadfish, Apr 24, 8:58pm
I have just brought a bag as well - clearly labelled. and they are not anything like an agria!