Why are our potatoes horrible.....

Page 4 / 4
mwood, Apr 24, 9:51pm
A new bug called Psyllid which arrived in NZ in 2006
http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/pests/potato-tomato-psyllid
is responsible for the failure of potato cropsthis year - I lost my entire crop of Rua and bought Agria as my mainstay. The "new" Agria is superior to the old and suitable for frying, mashing and boiling - it is more uniform than the Old Agria with a creamer flesh rather than a kumara yellow .

Beware the coming Potato Famine followed by the Tomato failure - both a reality next year.

fisher, Apr 25, 12:31am
my first crops of agria and chippewa spuds this year were great and we got most of our tomatoes from the seedlings (transplanted) left over from the house next door that burnt down. second crop of agria have been a disaster and I have tried to save them by chopping two thirds of the tops off.exploration has it that most of them are only thumbnail size.
will dig them up and boil them up for side dishes lol:} Have some LLiam Hardy waiting to sprout and will replant soon.

mwood, Apr 25, 1:16am
hmmmm I boiled my Psyllid affected spuds and fed them to the chooks - they were slow to eat them

willyow, Apr 25, 1:31am
You are right - they are tasteless. But the supermarkets love them because they are perfectly shaped and smooth and look great on the shelves. . Like many above- the only spud for our family is Agria - great flavourand versatile(mashing, frying, roasting etc).