Anyone notice how expensive potatoes are!

Page 1 / 3
supercook, Jan 26, 6:55am
I went to veggie shop today $16.00 for 10 kg of Agria potatoes.

olwen, Jan 26, 7:18am
Agrias are expensive at present.I bought 5kg in New World for $8.99

winnie15, Jan 26, 7:49am
yes, but my hubby grew heaps this summer. We grew agria, heather, lister and rua .. *yum*

cottagerose, Jan 26, 8:06am
I bought white washed at Countdown this week for $1.49kg which is the cheapest Ive seen for a while

spongeypud, Jan 26, 8:52am
All the new season spuds are expensive at the moment, but$16 for Agria sounds a bit steep. All depends on where you go I guess, I was in my local Asian vege shop a couple of weeks ago and a woman in the queue behind me was complaining about the price of spuds.

seniorbones, Jan 26, 9:11am
I grew 5 bags this year but forgot which type were which but they are all yummy anyway, next year I will have to do more we have nearly finished them!

gerry64, Jan 26, 9:43am
Ii would give anything for a beautiful agria spud over here in Oz - good spuds are cheap but there are none anywhere near as good as agria

julie28, Jan 27, 11:29pm
Yes spuds are sooooooo expensive at the mo at supermarkets and vege shops

wilson16, Jan 27, 11:32pm
AND they are rubbish too. Onions were shocking for a long time, but have finally come right.

That's in Auckland

timetable, Jan 27, 11:33pm
yep ... praise the Lord for the vege garden... just put in some more vege plants this morning and will keep an eye out for winter cabbage, broc and leeks etc coming on through for further plantings...

paora-tm, Jan 27, 11:33pm
Damn, bought 10kg of unspectacular Ilam Hardy for $14 at PaknSav last week. At that price I was expecting something reasonably decent - they are NOT.

gerry64, Jan 27, 11:56pm
if the growers name is on the bag paora-tm - email them and tell them you are not satisfied - I did that to a well known grower when I was still in NZ and received several vouchers to replace them

uli, Jan 28, 12:18am
I would pay $12 for 10kg of certified organic agria - if I would buy them.

paora-tm, Jan 28, 12:28am
Good suggestion, gerry64.

robyn35, Jan 28, 5:51am
$19:95 for a 10kg bag of potatoes here in christchurch and that was at the vege shop, supermarket only has 1.5 and 3 kg bags at the moment and they range in price from 5 to 8.99 a bag.Love taties but at that price wont be eating them much

supercook, Jan 28, 6:34am
I agree potatoes off the menu here more rice or pasta. I might have to look into growing some but we have small grounds.

robyn35, Jan 28, 7:52am
you can grow potatoes in buckets or tyres, not sure how many you get if growing them in a bucket but I think Ill give it a go, can anyone tell me if they can be grown now or is it too late

charlieb2, Jan 28, 8:55am
Yep, agree.. today I've had what is possibly my first whinge about the price of food/price rises.. Spuds and meat were shocking prices today at the supermarket...

julie28, Jan 28, 10:04am
I paid $12 today for 5kg of non organic agria at New World

pickles7, Jan 28, 10:14am
I reckon we were throwing out, 1 nights potatoes every week ,just in the skins, peeling them. Microwaved with the skin on, perfect. I only buy washed potatoes, that way I know I am getting all sound, potatoes. I got fed up with buying a bag of potatoes, and once you tip them out at home, half were rubbish. I think I buy less now, as I am not throwing so many out. I have in the past tipped out the bag before taking them home, just in case they were not good.

lythande1, Jan 28, 6:46pm
Hmm. I paid $12 for 10kg potatoes from my vege place and thought that was a lot, although it did say new seasons. Thought it was bad until I read this.

uli, Jan 29, 12:04am
Tough isn't it?
All you need to do is buy from the organic wholesalers LOL :)

uli, Jan 29, 12:08am
Please do NOT grow them in tyres - they have so many dangerous chemicals in them ... you might as well buy them ....

buzzy110, Jan 29, 12:50am
LOL - That works out at $14.90 for 10kg so only $1.10 less than agria which are a superior tasting potato imo.

jimminette, Jan 29, 3:49am
I've planted some red potatoes in the garden this year.Have noticed a distinct lowering of quality in potatoes this last year and now there are so many varieties for all different purposes that it's becoming a pain trying to remember just which one I liked.Know I like red ones and that's good enough.Have got about 30 seed potatoes in and going to put some more in soon.Will then have to work out how to store them once harvested but even if I cook and freeze some it's got to be better than buying low quality potatoes.Will check Agria next time I buy.Just checked on the ones in the pantry - Natures choice - New Seasons and White.No mention of the type of potato.Maybe that's the problem.Getting any old potato left over from whatever.