Anyone notice how expensive potatoes are!

Page 2 / 3
leebee35, Jan 30, 1:27am
I saw $9.90 per kilo at the Avondale markets this morning for Maori potatoes...who is going to buy them at that price?

suie1, Jan 30, 1:28am
Yes we are not buying hardly any at the moment, rice, bread & pasta are more common in our house.

nfh1, Jan 30, 1:56am
I was just reading about the increasing price of potatoes in the Hawke's Bay Today -

http://www.hawkesbaytoday.co.nz/local/news/shop-around-to-take-sting-off-vege-hikes/3938630/

Quite a range of prices in a very small area.

buzzy110, Jan 30, 3:17am
I'd buy them. The 'Maori potatoes' have taste, quality and texture that are sadly lacking in the big white varieties that people prefer.

What is more, there are different varieties for different uses, just like the modern, tasteless versions. They even have a potato that can be boiled for 3 hours without it going mushy - perfect for soups and stews.

That grower comes down from Kaitaia (or is it Dargaville) and transport is expensive but his produce is superior, so yes, I would buy them over the commercial varieties.

keewee_mel, Jan 30, 3:44am
I refused to buy potatoes from the supermarket seeing as they were $14.99 for 10kg. Figured they'd be cheaper at the Fruit and Vege shop; got the shock of my life when their 10kg bags were $21.99.

I'm going to start growing my own veges I think!

puss-n-boots, Jan 30, 4:40am
Unfortunately, it is not widely known, there has been a disease causing a shortage of spuds for the market.This 'bug' has stunted the growth and size of the crops, hense the higher prices and lack of larger spuds available.I know this as our neighbour is a major grower of seed potoatoes and he's had major problems as had many others.instead of huge acres of spuds growing they have cut back as the weekly helicopter spray to counter the 'bug' is very expensive.This 'bug' is also affecting many other crops of similar strains. i.e. tomato, kumera etc

robyn35, Jan 30, 5:01am
hmmm must ask my nephew about this as he grows potatoes for a living

buzzy110, Jan 30, 5:46am
I guess they haven't released that information to the public to prevent panic buying but it is a jolly handy thing to know if you like your spuds.

silvertiger7, Jan 30, 8:01am
It's a psyllid. Commonly known as the potato or tomato psillid and as Bactericera cockerelli, it's causing problems for growers as it has no/few predators and it causes reduced yields and lowers fruit quality. It's been here since 2006 but has spread recently. Read about it here: http://www.crop.cri.nz/home/insect-watch/ or here: http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/pests/potato-tomato-psyllid

falcon-hell, Jan 30, 9:27am
last week i paid $20 for a 10kg sack of spuds-greymouth new world,i nearly fell over.

julie28, Jan 30, 11:21pm
You do not mind so much when there is a Known problem causing the prices rise but it still hurts to pay over $12 for 5kg

tullyann, May 17, 4:45am
Do not pay there Price::dig a 2 yard square hole throw them in and watch the new ones come on up especially around Xmas ,they tase so much better out of your own Garden then do the silver beet and carrots , go on go for it !!

Leave the supermarket ones to the Lazy people ,

bearskin, May 17, 5:24am
A trip overseas earlier this year revealled 25kg bags of potatoes for sale at the equivalent of $8. That was Farm gate sales though.

lythande1, May 17, 6:27am
Price dropped round here now,.

tullyann, May 17, 7:39am
and probably from Aussieat least i know minw are from NZ ,

kuaka, May 17, 9:11am
tullyann - I buy my potatoes at the supermarket or four square shop, and don't consider myself lazy, and I rather resent that comment.Not everyone has the space to grow their own potatoes.We have a very small garden for vegetables, and we would never be able to grow the quantity of potatoes that we eat.We must eat about a kilo of spuds a day as I buy a 10kg bag of spuds on average about every 10 or 12 days, certainly a 10kg bag doesn't last us a fortnight.

juliewn, May 17, 11:48am
I bought 4kg's of scrubbed potatoes this week at Countdown for $5 - much better price than it's been lately..

fifie, May 17, 8:48pm
Look round for growers selling them or veg places, not supermarkets. Just bought a large sack full, 25kg of Agria for $20 at a little veg place so thats my roasties and chips sorted for winter.

kuaka, May 17, 8:59pm
fifie - that wouldn't last me the winter, it would last me a month if I made sure we had rice for some meals instead of spuds!And there's only two of us.

tullyann, May 18, 4:45am
Do not pay there Price::dig a 2 yard square hole throw them in and watch the new ones come on up especially around Xmas ,they tase so much better out of your own Garden then do the silver beet and carrots , go on go for it !

Leave the supermarket ones to the Lazy people ,

kuaka, May 18, 9:11am
tullyann - I buy my potatoes at the supermarket or four square shop, and don't consider myself lazy, and I rather resent that comment.Not everyone has the space to grow their own potatoes.We have a very small garden for vegetables, and we would never be able to grow the quantity of potatoes that we eat.We must eat about a kilo of spuds a day as I buy a 10kg bag of spuds on average about every 10 or 12 days, certainly a 10kg bag doesn't last us a fortnight.

juliewn, May 18, 11:48am
I bought 4kg's of scrubbed potatoes this week at Countdown for $5 - much better price than it's been lately.

kuaka, May 18, 8:59pm
fifie - that wouldn't last me the winter, it would last me a month if I made sure we had rice for some meals instead of spuds!And there's only two of us.

winnie15, Jan 26, 7:49am
yes, but my hubby grew heaps this summer. We grew agria, heather, lister and rua . *yum*

wilson16, Jan 27, 11:32pm
AND they are rubbish too. Onions were shocking for a long time, but have finally come right.

That's in Auckland