Anyone notice how expensive potatoes are!

Page 3 / 3
timetable, Jan 27, 11:33pm
yep . praise the Lord for the vege garden. just put in some more vege plants this morning and will keep an eye out for winter cabbage, broc and leeks etc coming on through for further plantings.

supercook, Jan 28, 6:34am
I agree potatoes off the menu here more rice or pasta. I might have to look into growing some but we have small grounds.

charlieb2, Jan 28, 8:55am
Yep, agree. today I've had what is possibly my first whinge about the price of food/price rises. Spuds and meat were shocking prices today at the supermarket.

jimminette, Jan 29, 3:49am
I've planted some red potatoes in the garden this year.Have noticed a distinct lowering of quality in potatoes this last year and now there are so many varieties for all different purposes that it's becoming a pain trying to remember just which one I liked.Know I like red ones and that's good enough.Have got about 30 seed potatoes in and going to put some more in soon.Will then have to work out how to store them once harvested but even if I cook and freeze some it's got to be better than buying low quality potatoes.Will check Agria next time I buy.Just checked on the ones in the pantry - Natures choice - New Seasons and White.No mention of the type of potato.Maybe that's the problem.Getting any old potato left over from whatever.

leebee35, Jan 30, 1:27am
I saw $9.90 per kilo at the Avondale markets this morning for Maori potatoes.who is going to buy them at that price!

nfh1, Jan 30, 1:56am
I was just reading about the increasing price of potatoes in the Hawke's Bay Today -

http://www.hawkesbaytoday.co.nz/local/news/shop-around-to-take-sting-off-vege-hikes/3938630/

Quite a range of prices in a very small area.

buzzy110, Jan 30, 3:17am
I'd buy them. The 'Maori potatoes' have taste, quality and texture that are sadly lacking in the big white varieties that people prefer.

What is more, there are different varieties for different uses, just like the modern, tasteless versions. They even have a potato that can be boiled for 3 hours without it going mushy - perfect for soups and stews.

That grower comes down from Kaitaia (or is it Dargaville) and transport is expensive but his produce is superior, so yes, I would buy them over the commercial varieties.

keewee_mel, Jan 30, 3:44am
I refused to buy potatoes from the supermarket seeing as they were $14.99 for 10kg. Figured they'd be cheaper at the Fruit and Vege shop; got the shock of my life when their 10kg bags were $21.99.

I'm going to start growing my own veges I think!

puss-n-boots, Jan 30, 4:40am
Unfortunately, it is not widely known, there has been a disease causing a shortage of spuds for the market.This 'bug' has stunted the growth and size of the crops, hense the higher prices and lack of larger spuds available.I know this as our neighbour is a major grower of seed potoatoes and he's had major problems as had many others.instead of huge acres of spuds growing they have cut back as the weekly helicopter spray to counter the 'bug' is very expensive.This 'bug' is also affecting many other crops of similar strains. i.e. tomato, kumera etc

buzzy110, Jan 30, 5:46am
I guess they haven't released that information to the public to prevent panic buying but it is a jolly handy thing to know if you like your spuds.

silvertiger7, Jan 30, 8:01am
It's a psyllid. Commonly known as the potato or tomato psillid and as Bactericera cockerelli, it's causing problems for growers as it has no/few predators and it causes reduced yields and lowers fruit quality. It's been here since 2006 but has spread recently. Read about it here: http://www.crop.cri.nz/home/insect-watch/ or here: http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/pests/potato-tomato-psyllid