Boiling potatoes - timing

buzzy110, Jan 6, 3:58am
It has been absolutely yonks since I last boiled anything that even looked like a potato but from memory, I always only ever brought to the boil then turned down and simmered. If you have the water too hot the outside will cook faster than the inside and you end up with mushy outer and hard as inner.

By simmering you get the heat to go all the way through before the outside has a chance to cook.

Do add a sprig of fresh mint to the pot as well. I'd never cook new potatoes without a fresh sprig of mint.

fauna1, Dec 29, 5:47am
How long to boil new potatoes? Will they cook any quicker if they are boiling furiously (lifting lid, spitting over the stove etc) as compared to just boiling - more than simmering?

uli, Dec 29, 5:53am
Since water always boils at 100 degrees C - except if you live on a mountain top - it doesn't matter how "furiously" the water boils - it is still only 100 degrees - and so it will take exactly the same amount of time.

harrislucinda, Dec 29, 6:32am
newspudsboilslowastheyarefresh.havingthewaterreallyboilingwillendupsplitingoncethewaterisboilingcook afewminthenturnoff

pickles7, Dec 29, 6:33am
Cook them in a "sensor cook microwave". Perfect.

uli, Dec 29, 8:51am
New spuds "boil slow"?

fauna1, Dec 29, 7:00pm
Thanks for all your help, to uli - I think "boil slow" was an instruction
I.e. go slowly or potatoes will boil to pieces

fauna1, Dec 29, 7:01pm
Thanks to harrislucinda. Happy New Year

lythande1, Dec 29, 7:18pm
Boil slow...LOL. They are denser than old floury potatoes is what you mean.

rainrain1, Dec 29, 8:03pm
Yes a gentle rolling simmer, you still wouldn't want to overcook them though, so you have to do the old test trick with the point of your favourite little sharp knife......

cookessentials, Dec 29, 8:51pm
I only ever steam mine.

macandrosie, Jan 6, 3:22am
Since changing to gas cooking my potatoes are perfect! I can control the heat better, make sure the lid is on properly. I have the element on as low as possible, & the water is barely breaking the surface, they no longer break up!

maynard9, Jan 6, 3:40am
Yep - steaming in this house too.

I got an electric steamer with Fly Buys and it would be one of the best kitchen appliances I own.

For us it is the only way we cook vegies now.Colour and taste is far superior.

brish, Jan 6, 3:43am
I was taught to use boiling water for new potatoes and boil for 20 mins, whereas I put old potatoes in cold water, bring to the boil and boil for 15 to 18 mins.

buzzy110, Jan 6, 3:58am
It has been absolutely yonks since I last boiled anything that even looked like a potato but from memory, I always only ever brought to the boil then turned down and simmered. If you have the water too hot the outside will cook faster than the inside and you end up with mushy outer and hard as inner.

By simmering you get the heat to go all the way through before the outside has a chance to cook.

Do add a sprig of fresh mint to the pot as well. I'd never cook new potatoes without a fresh sprig of mint.

fishheadsoup, Jan 7, 11:49am
maynard just interested what the brand of your steamer is might look into it if so good thanks