Desprite Crockpot Potato Bake/Scalloped Potatoes

tipsy_bl0nde, May 14, 8:01am
Does anyone know if this can be done successfully? Have my brother and partner coming for dinner tomorrow night and was thinking potato bake roast chicken and veges but the oven will be pre occupied with the size 24 chicken.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

olwen, May 14, 8:04am
Can you not put both in the oven on separate shelves?

tipsy_bl0nde, May 14, 8:06am
i have a very small oven (grr..) i would do chook in slowcooker but its so big and also i love the crunchy skin and stuffing :)

fifie, May 14, 11:24pm
Kg of agria potatoes, 2 onions diced, 250g sour cream,1/2 cup milk,1 packet of onion OR bacon soup mix,1 cup grated cheese, Paprika to dust. Coat slow cooker bowl with non stick spray, slice potatoes 2-3 mm thick. Sprinkle 1/2 onion in bottom of bowl cover onion with 1/2 potatoes sprinkle remaining onion on top and arrange rest of potatoes on top of this. Stir sour cream, milk, soup together in a small bowl to combine pour the liquid over the layered potatoes evenly sprinkle with grated cheese and dust with paprika.Set cooker to highcook 4-5 hours. Only problem top dosen't brown and go nice and crunchy like a oven does, you could put it in a seperate oven proof dish set up on jam jar rings within your cooker for heat to get around, then pop it under grill when cooked to brown, and if doing in a c/pot i'd zap potatoes 3 mins first to precook as they are slower than the new slow cookers.

fisher, May 15, 12:48am
Just do the potato bake in the oven FIRST.... set aside and do the timing for the chook to cook for about when they arrive......When you take the chook out to REST (15mins) before carving up... put the potato bake back in the oven to heat through... Chop up the chook... serve the veges... and then the potato bake....done !!!!all served hot....

fisher, May 15, 12:54am
Scalloped Potatoes
Peel your potatoes and par boil in saucepan with a little salt. Remove, slice and layer in oven proof dish. In a frypan sauté a large diced onion in a little butter and pour/spread over top of potatoes Now make a roux with milk, add tasty cheese and a pinch of cayenne and stir till it melts and thickens. Add 100ml of cream, stir and pour this over the onion/potato mix. Sprinkle grated tasty cheese over the top with a light dusting of paprika.
Place in oven at 180c and remove when cheese top is browned and melted.
Variations:
(a) Add floret's of cauliflower and broccoli to make a nice Vege dish
(b) Pre fry some bacon strips and layer over potatoes
(c) Add blue vein cheese for that extra flavour and bite

tipsy_bl0nde, May 15, 1:26am
i really like annabel langbeins potato bake with heaps of garlic :) i think i may just cook now and warm later thanks alot guys :)

olwen, May 15, 8:04am
Can you not put both in the oven on separate shelves!

juliewn, May 15, 11:40am
Hi - this was included a while ago in a thread here:

Scalloped Potatoes
1kg potatoes (not waxy - we always use Nadine), salt, pepper, 1.5 tablespoons flour, 1/2 cup hot chicken stock (I used 1/2 teaspoon of Maggi Chicken Stock dissolved in boiling water), 1/2 cup grated cheese, chopped fresh herbs to garnish. Pre-heat the cooker for 20 minutes. Oil the cooker base. Slice potatoes thinly and arrange in layers in the cooker, season each layer with salt and pepper and sprinkle with flour. Carefully pour the hot stock over the top. Cover with lid and cook in the crockpot on High for 3.5-4 hours or in the slow cooker on high for approximately 3.5 hours or until the potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover with lid and cook for 5-10 minutes more. Sprinkle with fresh herbs and serve. Serves 4 as a light meal. posted by sherralynne

fifie, May 15, 11:24pm
Kg of agria potatoes, 2 onions diced, 250g sour cream,1/2 cup milk,1 packet of onion OR bacon soup mix,1 cup grated cheese, Paprika to dust. Coat slow cooker bowl with non stick spray, slice potatoes 2-3 mm thick. Sprinkle 1/2 onion in bottom of bowl cover onion with 1/2 potatoes sprinkle remaining onion on top and arrange rest of potatoes on top of this. Stir sour cream, milk, soup together in a small bowl to combine pour the liquid over the layered potatoes evenly sprinkle with grated cheese and dust with paprika.Set cooker to highcook 4-5 hours. Only problem top dosen't brown and go nice and crunchy like a oven does, you could put it in a seperate oven proof dish set up on jam jar rings within your cooker for heat to get around, then pop it under grill when cooked to brown, and if doing in a c/pot i'd zap potatoes 3 mins first to precook as they are slower than the new slow cookers.

fisher, May 16, 12:48am
Just do the potato bake in the oven FIRST. set aside and do the timing for the chook to cook for about when they arrive.When you take the chook out to REST (15mins) before carving up. put the potato bake back in the oven to heat through. Chop up the chook. serve the veges. and then the potato bake.done !all served hot.

fisher, May 16, 12:54am
Scalloped Potatoes / Potato Bake
Peel your potatoes and par boil in saucepan with a little salt. Remove, slice and layer in oven proof dish. In a frypan sauté a large diced onion in a little butter and pour/spread over top of potatoes Now make a roux with milk, add grated tasty cheese and a pinch or two of cayenne and stir till it melts and thickens. Add 100ml of cream, stir and pour this over the onion/potato mix. Sprinkle grated tasty cheese over the top with a light dusting of paprika.
Place in oven at 180c and remove when cheese top is browned and melted.
Variations:
(a) Add floret's of cauliflower and broccoli to make a nice Vege dish
(b) Pre fry some bacon strips and layer over potatoes
(c) Add layered sliced blue vein cheese for that extra flavour and bite
(d) Use par boiled potatoes and kumura instead of just potatoes

florence14, May 24, 11:58am
I always do it fishers way and it comes out well. Alison Holst has a scalloped potato bake made with maggi onion soup and milk (I use cream like fisher (above), and grated cheese for the topping. My kids love it. I have even used the leftovers fried with the tiniest bit of oil in a frypan - very tasty.