Rabbit Stew

Page 1 / 3
pinedon, Nov 4, 6:48am
x1
Has anyone got a recipe for Rabbit stew. We are having a wild foods cook off at our schools pet day tomorrow, and my husband has brought home rabbits.

beaker59, Nov 4, 7:15am
Put the rabbits in a big pot and simmer for 1 1/2 hour or until rabbits are soft but not falling apart Take out and cool.

While the meat is cooling chop up a couple of onions and some garlic brown in the bottom of a large pot in some oil then add chopped carrots tomatoes parsnip potatoe kumara etc etc what ever you have and like. Add some herbs like fresh sage rosemary and bay leaves (remove bay leaves before adding to pie case) season to taste add the water the bunnies were cooked in to make up enough gravy to cook veges and form the gravy.

Strip the meat off the rabbits and add to the veges season to taste and simmer until cooked thicken with cornflour.

Make up pie dishes with a good flaky pastry (I buy mine) bake 40 min at 180 degrees.Or as apropriate for your oven.

Rabbit pie is delicious.

pinedon, Nov 4, 7:28am
Thanks for that. Never cooked rabbit so was a bit taken aback when I saw the hubby had them.

stormbaby, Nov 4, 7:58am
Awwww yum!!! I haven't had rabbit for years.My Mum had a big black cast iron skillet/pot and when my Dad worked at Rolleston Prison we lived out near there, he would go out shooting rabbits. He would skin and gut them, Mum would cook up the rabbits in the big pot. They were lovely and tender, like very rich, brown chicken meat. I love making pies, they would be perfect for that. Best of luck in the cook off!

pinedon, Nov 4, 8:16am
Cheers. I have heard that Rabbit is quite nice. I have never eaten it. So you can imagin the look on my face when I saw them.lol. I thought my husband was joking when he told me he was going to get rabbit and cook it. :)

beaker59, Nov 4, 9:58am
If they are nice young spring bunnies they are really nice jointed then crumbed and baked like chicken pieces add the 11 different herbs and spices like KFR EH! :)

rainrain1, Nov 4, 9:59pm
Boil rabbit pieces with bacon bits, chopped onion, and carrot, (vegetables of your choice really)
Thicken when cooked with flour and add chopped parsley.Serve with oven baked potatoes (skin on)

marree, Nov 4, 10:02pm
Reminds me of my nana cooking up rabbit (and all the other wild game animals - duck, pheasant etc!).I don't recall her making rabbit, but do remember the stew, which I loved.Pity she's not around anymore & I guess restaurants don't have it on the menu!

elliehen, Nov 4, 10:29pm
Our cat has brought inside baby bunnies four days in a row and I've chased them out!Cat usually eats just the heads and leaves the bodies for me to find under sofas etc...

I've just checked a very old Aunt Daisy cookbook and there are rabbit recipes for:
Rabbit & Beef Pudding, Rabbit Casserole, Rabbit Custard Pie, Rabbit Hawaiian, Rabbit & Mushroom Pudding and Rabbit Pilau.If any of those appeal, I'd be happy to post :)

marree, Nov 4, 10:34pm
elliehen - would definitely appeal - yummy - I just need a rabbit!!

uli, Nov 5, 1:04am
Hmmm - I never "boil" meat - except old soup hens ... why not fry some onions and some bacon and then layer the jointed rabbit in, add some herbs (thyme, rosemary, garlic etc) and some red wine and slowly simmer or braise.

rainrain1, Nov 5, 2:28am
Boiled meat can be delish, but I say... oma rapeti, oma rapeti, oma oma oma :-)

valentino, Nov 5, 2:33am
Marinated Roasted or Grilled Rabbit is lovely as well.

Just as though one is doing chicken.

pinedon, Nov 6, 8:32am
Thanks for all the ideas on cooking rabbit :).
Well, he made a stew and i must say, it smelt really lovely.Notice I said 'smelt' lol.I think I still have a bit of city girl left in me lol.It went so quickly when it was put on the table!Other wild foods that were cooked by the guys was crumbled Duck, Goat kababs,venision, mountain oysters,smoked eel, eel pate,Whitebate fritters etc. The only thing I did try was the duck.It was beautiful!

rainrain1, Nov 6, 8:45am
what a wuss :-)

pinedon, Nov 6, 8:50am
lol yea I know. I saw one of the other girls trying a mountain oyster that her hubby gave her and told her to play the fair factor game lol.She had tears in her eyes as she was eating it.That was enough for me. lmao. :-)

rainrain1, Nov 6, 9:21am
I have never tried a mountain oyster...but I married one ....

uli, Nov 6, 9:11pm
Ahhh mountain oysters - in Turkey you can buy them smoked at the butchers - just like you can roe here - not much difference really...

And believe it or not - just now a rabbit has appeared at the kitchen sink, the fur is being pulled off now - so soon it goes into the fridge for a couple of days then into a nice casserole - slow cooked most likely :)

Note to self: check red wine levels ...

pinedon, Nov 7, 8:07am
lol.... I have had many a chance to try a mountain oyster, but can't bring myself to eat them knowing what they are and where they come from. :-)

marree, Nov 7, 8:53am
Uli - 'mountain oysters' - I was trying to explain to someone the other day (they were too young to understand).We used to have Homestead Chicken outlet up the road (they sold mountain oysters - but called them 'sweet breads' or something!)Very tasty - crumbed & deep fried. When I found out what they were (sheep's balls) I was rather horrified. but didn't stop me.Sadly the place closed down / sold out.

elliehen, Nov 7, 9:10am
marree, did you know that not too many decades ago, one accepted practice among sheep farmers in New Zealand was to remove the 'oysters' by biting them off the lambs?

pinedon, Nov 7, 9:28am
It still happens today.I was told it was the most sterile way to get the balls.You wont catch me doing it lol.

rainrain1, Nov 7, 5:49pm
Sweetbreads are glands from the neck of milk lambs.....sweetbreads are it's little prize jewells from down under.....

rainrain1, Nov 7, 7:15pm
Ewww poo you're kidding,I knew they used to do it years ago, but today?Maaaaaaaaaaate tie those people up!!! :-)

uli, Nov 7, 7:53pm
There is a lot more happening on farms than what meets the eye :)