The neck chop stew is cooked. How 2 remove fat?

Page 1 / 2
ange164, Jul 9, 2:02am
I don't have one of those separator jugs.
I'm thinking I'm going to have to take it out of the slow cooker; put it in the fridge to cool; take off the set fat then re-heat and thicken in a pot.

I would prefer to not have to reheat with lots of stirring as that will break up the meat too much. So is the fridge method going to be my best option? is there another way I haven't thought of yet?

harrislucinda, Jul 9, 2:04am
ithinkthatistheonly thing youcandonowistocoolandtakeoffthefatandreheattothicken

lx4000, Jul 9, 2:08am
using a tablespoon or soup spoon, slowly sink it just under the surface and fill with the fat and remove. It will take a while and as long as you don't mix it up, you should be able to get most of it off:)

ange164, Jul 9, 2:08am
I've just Googled pouring it into a zip lock bag and then snipping the corner and stopping the flow before the fat gets out. Might try that one.

ange164, Jul 9, 2:09am
Thank lx. I'll try that first - being as I don't have a ziplock bag in the house.

winnie231, Jul 9, 2:36am
I have had success with laying a paper towel on top for a moment ... letting it soak just the fat & then binning .... and repeat a few times.

kokako14, Jul 9, 2:41am
Try tossing some ice cubes into the pot...it will set the fat and you can scoop it off, while the ice melts and then reheat and thicken

maitredee, Jul 9, 2:58am
Slices of stale bread if you have any, absorb the fat as you run over the top. Or bread crusts.

paghan, Jul 9, 3:09am
I put in cubes of ice, the fat sticks to them, make sure you take the ice out before it melts too much.

pickles7, Jul 9, 3:32am
just pour off the liquid into a st/st bowl, put the bowl into a cool place to cool, then into the fridge to set the fat. Thicken then introduce the meat and veg to heat through.

resolutionx, Jul 9, 3:49am
For my Jewish Penecillin (chicken noodle soup) I get a big bowl, remove chicken (shred meat off bone) and veges put them aside. I then grab asieve I use for sifting flour, put a paper towel in it (to catch the fat).May need 2-3 towel changesto prevent the fat clogging up too much but the broth should be essentially "fat free. Then I just return broth, veges an chicken + more veges to the pot.

Hope this helps :-)

rainrain1, Jul 9, 5:10am
I often fill the sink with cold water and place pot in there till fat solidifies, not much good if you are in a great big fat hurry though

rainrain1, Jul 9, 5:12am
Big fat hurryha ha

jag5, Jul 10, 8:18am
paper towels on top will soak it up...use a few but works a treat.

debz94, Jul 10, 8:49am
I tend to trim any excess fat off the neck chops before i put them in the slow cooker,add an oxo cube & all my veges and six hours later its ready to eat.

kuaka, Jul 10, 9:35am
Trimming the excess fat off neck chops is just the start.There will still be a lot of fat in the chops, and it will solidify if left to go cold once the stew has been cooked.

rarogal, Jul 10, 11:30am
I always simmer mine for an hour first, let chill overnight, or for several hours, scoop off the fat, and then start again.They are very fatty chops, but also very tasty and well worth using this method.

buzzy110, Jul 11, 12:23am
A bit late now, but pickles has the right idea. When I want to remove excess fat I just pour the liquid into a glass measuring jug. After a few minutes the fat separates out and rises to the surface. Get another jug and pour the fat off. You can spoon out the last little bit if you like but it doesn't matter much if some of the non-fatliquid gets poured into the fat jug as well because you will still have plenty of stock for gravy.

One more tip. Lamb neck chops are much nicer second time round. Cook the day before and store the liquid and solids in two different containers - bowl for meat and veg and jug for stock. Next day the solid fat can be lifted and if you don't eat it, frozen till rubbish day and put out in the rubbish. the stock left can be used to knock up an amazing sauce to go over your chops.

toadfish, Jul 11, 6:13am
Heres what I did for Lamb Shoulder chops that were fattier than I liked.

countrybumpkinz, Jul 11, 6:27am
I saw something similar on the cooking show, you add ice cubes and the fat sticks to them and then take them out and no more fat.

jia5, Jul 11, 6:50am
This works well.

uli, Jul 12, 8:28am
And then?
What do you do with the lovely fat?

kuaka, Jul 12, 8:34am
probably throw it out for the sparrows with the bread still attached.Lovely fat?Yuk!

uli, Jul 12, 8:40am
Lovely fat? Yuk! - reminds me of the boy who said to his father (in stone age) coming back from hunting "I don't want meat dad - make a salad" ... :)

janienz1, Jul 12, 8:56am
I have often used paper towels but the seive is a great idea thanks :)