Anyone like Bounty Bars?

Page 3 / 5
greerg, Dec 6, 5:55am
My son (21) wants me to say that these are "really excellent" so thanks to original poster.So where am I going to hide them until Christmas?

tokokkk, Dec 6, 7:28am
could you use glazed cherries nauru.

kaddiew, Dec 6, 9:54am
I just added chopped glace cherries to the mix (didn't remove any coconut) with enough condensed milk to make a paste.A bit tricky rolling into tiny balls with the cherry lumps but well worth it. Fabulous - especially straight from the freezer!

nauru, Dec 7, 6:05am
I put mine in the freezer

nauru, Dec 7, 6:11am
Yes, I used glace cherries, I rinsed and dried them before adding to rest of ingredients. Chop them finely as it makes easier shaping for dipping.

rua69, Dec 8, 4:58am
I am going to give these a try for Xmas. Of course, practices and taste tests will be needed first ;)

Thanks nauru :)

nauru, Dec 8, 6:21am
You'rewelcome, enjoy

lost-in-oz, Dec 8, 11:54am
Would just like to say that I made these today with my pre-prep class and they were super easy to make and the kids loved the experience!
They were made using a whole packet of coconut and a whole can of condensed milk and it made approx 40 odd decent sized balls.I also added chopped glace cherries for that christmas effect.
They were rolled today and will be covered in chocolate tomorrow for the kids to put into their christmas goodies gift boxes.

Thank you very much for the recipe.

nauru, Dec 9, 5:13am
How interesting, I'm pleased to hear that the recipe made it to Oz. Happy eating.

jaybee6, Dec 14, 7:08am
I love bounty bars and omg this receipe is the bomb.I have made them 3 times and also took some to work and they loved them. Thanks nauru this is one easy receipe and so lovely. Cheers and Merry Xmas and they will be on the Xmas table.

nauru, Dec 14, 7:41am
You are welcome, pleased that you enjoyed them.I'm making somemore tomorrow to go with presents and for the Xmas table too.Have a wonderful Xmas

seniorbones, Dec 14, 7:44am
just as well is only once a year then!!!

uli, Oct 12, 7:55am
Christmas is coming soon - get those mars bars on special now - so you are ready to roll :)

uli, Oct 12, 7:57am

davidt4, Oct 12, 7:04pm
OMG.I've heard of these but have never seen an actual recipe before!

rkcroft, Oct 12, 11:54pm
I have made these just like you with a splash of Cherry Liqueur and a little food colouring to make Cherry Ripe Balls

wildflower, Oct 13, 2:35am
Cherries would be lovely.I like coconut but try to avoid it too often. I don't know about the carbs in coconut Buzzy, I know it's full of bad fat as opposed to other types of nuts though).

Sounds like a great recipe though :)

buzzy110, Oct 13, 3:11am
Mmm. Interesting. You are more than welcome to believe that coconut is full of 'bad' fat. I understand completely why you would think that.

And uli is right. Xmas is coming up and adding to her imminently practical suggestions, I'd suggest that all good NZ cooks go and purchase their supplies, asap, of sweetened condensed milk. I remember that sweetened condensed milk was out of stock over the Xmas period last year so best stock up on that very essential Xmas food.

Also recommend that some of your stock of condensed milk be boiled for a few hours to caramelise the contents because it will come in handy for all sorts of treats later on and doing it now will save time. I have also found out that homemade caramel condensed milk is so much nicer than the bought stuff.

buzzy110, Oct 13, 3:12am
For myself I have managed to locate fresh suet so I can now proceed to make this year's Xmas puddings and some mincemeat for next year's Xmas mince tarts. Just too bad that my foods will be extremely unhealthy, particularly as they will be full of 'bad' fats but it is Xmas after all and why would it bother me anyway, considering I have spent all last year gobbling up saturated fat like it was going out of style and staying perfectly slim and healthy.

rkcroft, Oct 13, 5:03am
....yawn.....

wildflower, Oct 14, 4:14am
'bad' = saturated fat.Coconut total fat 67.9g per 100gm, of those saturated fat is 60.3g.Compared to almonds (total 60g, sat 4g) etc I wouldn't call it healthy.

As for the occasional treat, I'm all for those.

cherstu, Oct 14, 4:24am
Thanks to whoever bumped this thread from last year :) I am in the process of making these now, first batch is a winner with my son, so yummy.. Thanks to OP :)
Im sure the judges at the Calf/Lamb/Kid Day tomorrow will enjoy them :)

elliehen, Oct 14, 4:46am
uli, you bumped this thread from 14 December 2009 just to say this??You must be really hanging out for a Mars Bar.

Actually I like Bounty Bars, but I don't buy them.If I want a quick fix I put one square of Whittaker's 72% Dark Ghana chocolate on to half a tablespoon of juicy desiccated coconut and munch happily.

I recommend it :)

elliehen, Oct 14, 4:56am
Group yawn ;)

uli, Oct 14, 6:03am
Yes - I did - as the first truffle recipes made from all sorts of lovely ingredients are rolling up again this time of year - so this one is a must to have too - so easy and apparently so good. Maybe you should try it ellie.