Those famous fabulous Dunedin Cheese Rolls

Page 3 / 5
mervyn12, Jun 19, 11:11am
hey darlings you sure have been a busy gal--i visited my relations in Ireland awhile back and one of my Cousins wives had 21 kids. ! ! ! ! ! ! When i gave her the recipe for cheese rolls she replied"What wiff partin me legs and pullin out me tulipsyer cheeses dear are d' last of m' considerations"

chrisynz, Jun 19, 8:10pm
I can remember my Nana making these exact cheese rolls mervyn. . way back in the 60s, we love them in this house too, in fact i made6 doz last weekend for the freezer. .

rosemaryp, Jun 20, 3:56am
Thank you for the tip about onion soup As we cannot get onion stock any longer, I am going to make some rolls today.

purplegoanna, Jun 20, 5:50am
check these babys out http://www.flickr.com/photos/santos/5862248/if you want to view the recipe click on 'recipe' at the bottom left of the photo... this person makes there own bread to make them with... .

rosemaryp, Jun 20, 5:56am
Wow they look delicious I am NOT ambitious enough to make my own bread!

maynard9, Jun 20, 8:07am
Wowl that is REALLY impressive. Think I will stick to my original version tho - but you have to admire the time it would take her to produce these beauties.

wimwom, Jun 20, 10:00pm
I make the recipe with 1 tin evaporated milk, 1 pkt Maggi soup mix-onion, bacon and onion, whatever flavour you like, 1 1/4 lb grated tasty cheese, 1/4 pint milk, salt and pepper. Melt slowly on range or in microwave till spreadable and combined. Place dessertspoonfuls onto bread and roll up. Grill or freeze.

nukhelenc, Jun 20, 11:44pm
I knew it had something to do with onion soup mix. Cheers
Im gonna print this now :)

vivz2, Jun 20, 11:52pm
I always used condensed milk gives a different variation again but yummy none the less

e_ka_ka, Jun 21, 12:25am
I live in Australia and can't find plain onion soup mix, do you think french onion would do? ? ?

malcovy, Jun 21, 12:29am
Yes it would be fine but bits of onion put through a garlic crusher would be just as good albeit fiddlier. I think Viv means evaporated milk not condensed.

fruitluva2, Jun 27, 9:44pm
sounds interesting, but will read later as theres other goods to bump from the end of last page

vivz2, Jun 28, 12:15am
No Viv means condensed milk My mates Mum used to make them and passed recipe on to me. Made a much sweeter mix

jenna68, Jul 3, 12:53am
fiddy x

dinkydi5, Jul 3, 9:01am
sound yummy, bumping.

razell, Jul 3, 10:55am
I did not realise the North island was such an uncivilised place - no cheese rolls and no mutton pies!

soden, Jul 3, 8:25pm
I started making these two weeks ago and I am addicted!

biddy6, Jul 4, 10:26am
A few weeks ago I read in the Otago Daily that there's to be a Cheese Roll competition held soon - anyone could enter their favourite recipe. Has it been judged yet?

horgi, Jul 5, 3:03am
wow just eating some now. My hubby is a Southland boy and reckons these are better than when he was a kid.
Made 42 with the recipe so 30 are for the freezer. Thanks.

cookessentials, Jul 5, 5:17am
That is one thing I have never tried, but they sound delicious.

gjsimps, Jul 5, 6:44am
I tried another way and they were nice cook chopped onions, make white sauce add grated cheese cooked onion... cool spread on white sandwich bread roll up grill both sides and butter, just saves buying evaporated milk and onion soup mix. anyway handy if you do not have them in the cupboard

robyn35, Jul 5, 8:24am
damn it all made these today and the boys and I scoffed them, they so yummy but once you start eating them it is hard to stop.

chrisbarton, Jul 6, 12:01am
wow I never had these they sound great! Is ther anywhere in Auckland you can buy them? ? ? Why doesn't someone starta business! ! !

becka4, Jul 6, 12:30am
bucjo wrote:
nooo... the crust is the best part! my boyfriends nana makes them by doing the above but rolls them really tight so they're just wee rolls. i remember a place in merdian mall used to make giant cheeserolls with bread cut long ways. just had some cheeserolls last weekend in invers, my sister had bought some for some fundraiser.
the cafeacross the road from med mall, cant think of the name they make them. um it the cafe that you walk down the stairs too ? underground cafe?

mistie-blue, Jul 6, 7:54am
Here is the winner from TVOne

The "ultimate" southern cheese roll recipe

500 grams grated cheese - (Mainland Mild Blend or Mild Cheddar)
1 tin Nestle carnation evaporated milk
1 pkt Maggi onion soup mix
1 finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1/4 cup cream

Heat in microwave for six minutes - stirring in between time, cool - spread lengthways on to long cut white bread from Marlow's Bakery, South Dunedin. Roll into cheese rolls (3 folds).