Those famous fabulous Dunedin Cheese Rolls

Page 4 / 5
rosielee3, Jul 6, 8:24am
gjsimps i make them this way if i have leftover sauce from tea!

sheepey, Jul 6, 11:11am
mervyn12, I use 1 pkt of soup mix in mine doesn't 2 make it quite strong also you can use different flavours of soup instead of plain onionyou can also try bacon and onion or tomato and onion soup mix for a change and I always use tasty cheese as it gives them a better flavour.

waswoods, Jul 6, 10:46pm
Yum - bacon and onion soup is a good idea. I think they're fine without the added onion and cream, but the cream would make them richer. We love them with soup here, but must be nicely buttered (margarined) after grilling

pauline64, Jul 7, 12:52am
Ohh I don't like the sound of sprinkled sugar on top.

59evergreen, Jul 8, 9:45am
Make the spread in the microwave Very quick and no sticky pot to clean!

juliewn, Jul 13, 1:32am
A lovely thread :-) . . the recipe for the cheese rolls that I've made was given by a friend who moved from Riverton to Whakatane about 1984. . it's still packed away. . must find it soon. .

elliehen, Jul 13, 5:37am
I tried these - first time ever, using the winning recipe minus the cream - for the FIFA 5. 30am semi-finals :)

I let the mixture stand to cool slightly and thicken, before spreading. They are quite salty, due to the soup mix, and I think would do well as a smaller bite-size fingerfood if you cut them diagonally after grilling.

jenna68, Jul 14, 7:42am
b... b

jenna68, Jul 19, 9:42pm
c... c

shop-a-holic, Jul 19, 11:45pm
So FABULOUS What a blast from the past. I'm going to make some now. I was born and bred in CHC, and I do a couple of different things. 1: Grate the onion. and 2: I spread butter on one side, add filling to the other side, so that when rolled, the butter is on the outside. So naughty! ! ! ! ! ! ! Bake.

245sam, Jul 28, 12:34am
bumped for eella :-))

shop-a-holic, Jul 31, 6:29am
Question Does anyone know, how much they were selling for at the rugby game? Signed Curious! I have my father coming up in a few days, and have them all ready in the freezer. Can't wait to bake some for him :-)

colliers, Jul 31, 7:56am
Senior moment... saw the recipe in print the other day when reading either the newspaper, junk mail or free weekly and now I cant remember where... . . ! !

colliers, Jul 31, 8:19am
Freezing them. , ... just realised I'm not sure about this... . do you thaw them out to reheat or do you just get them ready and freeze them so that you can cook them latr.

casey15, Jul 31, 9:48am
#65 Recipe was in the Sunday Star Times.

aussiesash, Jul 31, 9:27pm
As an Aussie but proud to be now a South Islander - I can't wait to try this Southern delicacy. If it's anything like the deep south it will be totally awesome.

colliers, Aug 1, 11:15am
Why oh why... . did I even read this topic thread - I never had the flipping cheese rolls till then and now I think I have probably put on half a kilo... . back to the gym... .

shop-a-holic, Aug 2, 5:14am
The ones I Promised dad... for tomorrow are all gone. I'm with you at the Gym. PS: From the freezer, I just popped them straight into a hot oven. Had 4 of them in bed... ... at 11. 30pm (groan)

colliers, Aug 2, 5:29am
70... . any nightmares? LOL...

bev00, Aug 19, 9:21am
back to the top /

colliers, Aug 19, 10:39am
tell me... . . I cant say that mine are rolls... more of a three way fold... ? I use sandwich bread too.

245sam, Aug 27, 7:35am
bumped for pinkpup :-))

pinkpup, Aug 27, 8:20am
:D... thank you ! ! :)

bev00, Sep 3, 9:30am
back to the top for ol' favourites

bucjo, Sep 3, 9:54am
i just make mine with normal milk and cheese, but the onion soup packet is a good idea... hate grating onion! worse than cutting it. but its just cheese, milk, little bit of flour and mustard.