Page 22 / 23
jenna68, Dec 26, 7:15pm
d. d

jenna68, Dec 30, 7:44pm
dd. dd

paul756, Dec 31, 3:36am
easy! fantastic! awesome quick recipe, thankyou

anniemay1, Feb 4, 9:45am
GREAT Recipe made them twice since reading this thread 3 days ago. Very easy and yum

valentino, Feb 11, 12:24am
Another one near the end. bump to keep for scone baking learners.

pvilz, Feb 11, 12:39am
ooooh i've gotta try this one! im off to the kitchen to see if i've got the flour there :)

jenna68, Feb 16, 5:26pm
up it goes . there are always questions about scones :o)

buzzy110, Feb 17, 12:04am
Can someone help me please. I noticed an earlier question about self-raising flour. I usually stay away from recipes with self raising flour as it leaves a metallic after-taste. Is that just my palate (my daughters find the same thing) or is it the type of self-raising flour that I am not using! I have tried Champion, Edmonds and the other one but still the same metallic after-taste.

buzzy110, Feb 17, 12:08am
So my question is - does anyone know if the recipe would turn out just as well with plain flour and baking powder. Maybe someone has a substitute flour/ baking powder/baking soda/salt mixture I could use instead. I'd just love to make 'proper' scones that don't require a full burial ceremony afterward to prevent broken teeth and that 'rocks in my belly feeling'.

subo, Feb 17, 1:09am
Yes. Plain flour and 1 tesp bp for each cup is fine. Try to sprinkle it evenly or sift it with the flour though.

janny3, Mar 2, 11:32pm
My freezer is on the blink.So what do you do with excess or left over scones!Recycle them into puddings!Breadcrumbs!

TIA

ange164, Mar 3, 1:02am
Make smaller batches. I sometimes put slightly stale savoury ones in the sandwich press and put veggiemite on them, or garlic butter and have in place of garlic bread. Sweet ones I toast the same and have with jam on in place of split muffins.

janny3, Mar 3, 12:45pm
Small batches are not worth the electricity for the oven.Looks like its good old bread & butter pudding.

ange164, Mar 4, 1:33am
I agree. but I do baking once a week to fill tins, and usually roast or bake something in the oven at least one other night a week, so I'll sometimes do a small batch then.

subo, Mar 24, 9:09am
9plus9 Here you will also find heaps of great things. http://trademecooks.net.nz

sqiff, May 13, 10:53pm
I usually cook the diced onion and sometimes a bit of bacon first and add it to the dry ingredients with cheese etc then mix in liquids. If I am making them for visitors I will sprinkle extra cheese on the top before popping them in the oven. I have made date ones this way also and they were yummy.

g1bo, May 14, 12:39am
Hi subo, jeepers hope I got that right, I had to scroll along way down.
Have just made a batch, let you know what the kids think after school.But they are looking hmmm wonderful.I was given another quick scone recipe (cheese version) a while ago and it too is easy . for every cup self raising flour (sifted) add 1 cup grated cheese, mix until combined with COLD milk ( amount varies on weather / flour as sometimes it needs tad more sometimes tad less).Dough should be slighty sitcky and never flatten scone dough too much.
Can't wait to try these ones out, smelling GOOD!

g1bo, May 14, 1:13am
Hey me again. yummy. kids mightn't get any! thanks for great recipe

kev3110, May 14, 1:39am
I have made idiot proof scones before (different recipe) and was still an idiot!. With this recipe I'm not.!

subo, May 30, 9:31pm
Hi to all you people that have added so much to my idiot proof scone recipe. Glad you have had fun with all your great additional input. Sorry for anyone that has struggled but don't give up.

janny3, May 31, 12:27pm
Thanks for that.Does it need extra liquid or will the same amount be enough!

sqiff, Jun 1, 4:18am
I sometimes add a bit extra. it depends how heavy handed I have been with the flour. As long as it is sticky and moist looking it will be ok. Good luck.

janny3, Jun 1, 10:09am
Hey thanks.I've got ideas for using up leftovers. Half a can of corn. leftover parsley, coriander. stray bits in the fridge.THANKS!

chchliz, Jun 6, 4:18am
BEST scone recipe ever! Thanks SuBo!

pigletnz25, Jun 7, 4:10am
well I'm going to give this a go, I have NEVER ever been able to make a decent scone, so we'll see.I have my doubts anything will work for this iidiot, but I'll report back, Fingers crossed.