What Is A Whole Food and Why Are They Important

Page 5 / 6
vintagekitty, Apr 24, 5:49am
Well Hezwez, got eggs?

FOR TO MAKE A PENCHE OF EGGES.

Tak water and do it in a panne to the fyre and lat yt sethe and after tak eggs and brek hem and cast hem in the water and after tak a chese and kerf yt on fowr partins and cast in the water and wanne the chese and the eggys ben wel sodyn tak hem owt of the water and wasch hem in clene water and tak wastel breed and temper yt wyth mylk of a kow. and after do yt over the fyre and after forsy yt wyth gyngener and wyth comyn and colowr yt wyth safroun and lye yt wyth eggys and oyle the sewe wyth Boter and kep wel the chese owt and dresse the sewe and dymo eggys thereon al ful and kerf thy chese in lytyl schyms and do hem in the sewe wyth eggys and serve yt forthe

hezwez, Apr 24, 5:52am
To hell with that vintagekitty, I'll just go and open a packet.

buzzy110, Apr 24, 5:55am
Mmmm. Translating regional dialects and idiosyncratic spellings of same are not really my strong point. However the recipe probably goes something like this:

Stewed Pigeons - Stuff them will garlic, herbs and ? ihewe (probably onion). Cook them in an earthenware casserole. When cooked, cast into the broth and fat, powdered ? fort, (probably a flour) saffron, ? verious (no idea but maybe pepper) and salt.

Goose Hotpot - Cut into pieces and scald them well. Put them in the pot with the raw giblets (heart and liver) and spread them with goose fat. Add wine or ale, a cup of minced onions. Boil then add salt and ? messe.

As you can see, fat was not thrown away, but retained as an intergral part of the dish - always assuming my imperfect translation is correct.

elliehen, Apr 24, 5:59am
And now dessert, but children, eat your fungus first.

Funges
Take Funges and pare hem clere and dyce hem. Take leke and shred hym small and do hym to seeth in gode broth. Color it with safron and do there inne powdor fort.

Tartys in Applis
Tak gode applys & gode spycis & figys & reysons & perys, & whan they arn wel ybrayd colour wyth safroun wel & do yt in a cofyn, & do yt forth to bake wel.

elliehen, Apr 24, 6:09am
Powdered fort = a mix of ginger, pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg

cookessentials, Apr 24, 8:43am
buzzy110 wrote:
fruitluva - calm down. If this thread annoys you go elsewhere. Start a thread specifically aimed at me if you like. I fail to see how imparting knowledge about the foods we eat can be considered rude, draconian or spiteful. In fact, if none of you had come in here to denigrate and attempt to ridicule this whole controversy would have been avoide
I am well within my rights to respond to your own, very negative and not very pleasant posts. Remember this - I wouldn't be saying anything at all if you and your cronies refrained from commenting about me personally and confined your posts entirely to the benefits of refined foods and the unhealthiness of diets of primitive culture's.

POT, KETTLE, BLACK

elliehen, Apr 24, 9:01am
ANCIENT METHOD OF COOKING A WHOLE BIRD WITH FEATHERS

This recipe is designed for a gutted but unplucked bird. It works well for smaller birds such as pigeons and doves but also works for pheasants

This is a very traditional way of cooking wildfowl in hot coals. The clay coating acts both to seal all the flavour of the meat inside whilst also protecting it from the heat of the fire itself and it gives a ready-made way of removing the feathers so you don't have to bother plucking.

If you want to be completely authentic dig a pit, place dry gorse wood in this (gorse is good as burns very hot and doesn't spit). Cover your meat in clay and place in the fire. Traditionally river clay was used (this is generally poor-quality and not good enough for pot making, but it is more than adequate for cooking). It's probably easiest if you use a plank of wood to support your meat and clay casing as the clay is very sloppy and will simply fall off if you carry it.

Using the plank you can set the wildfowl by the fire to dry the clay a little before placing the plank and the clay-coated meat in the fire. The plank will simply burn away and the clay will harden cooking the meat inside quite successfully. It works because the feathers protect the bird as it's roasting, preventing the flesh from scorching.

However, as you remove the clay covering you not only remove the feathers, you also remove the skin. But that's a small price to pay for not having to pluck! In ancient time this would have been used as a typical method for cooking just about any type of bird that could be caught.

elliehen, Apr 24, 9:23am
A WHOLEFOOD DESSERT ~ NETTLE PUDDING

Nettle pudding has been declared Britain's oldest recipe, dating from 6, 000BC.

The creation from 6, 000BC has been declared Britain's oldest recipe. It was a staple of Stone Age man, who made it by mixing nettles and other leaves such as dandelion and sorrel, with barley flour, salt and water.

elliehen, Apr 24, 9:40am
NETTLE PUDDING ~ THE RECIPE

Ingredients
1 bunch of sorrel
1 bunch of watercress
1 bunch of dandelion leaves
2 bunches ofyoung nettle leaves
Some chives
1 cup of barley flour
1 teaspoon salt

Method
Chop the herbs finely and mix in the barley flour and salt. Add enough water to bind it together and place in the centre of a linen or muslin cloth. Tie the cloth securely and add to a pot of simmering wild venison or wild boar. Leave in the pot until the meat is cooked and serve with chunks of bread.

elliehen, Apr 24, 9:59am
A NEOLITHIC TREAT - MEAT PUDDING
Ingredients:
1 sheep's stomach or ox secum, cleaned and scalded, turned inside out and soaked overnight in cold salted water heart and lungs of one lamb
450g/1lb beef or lamb trimmings, fat and lean
2 onions, finely chopped
225g/8oz oatmeal
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp ground dried coriander
1 tsp mace
1 tsp nutmeg
water, enough to cook the haggis stock from lungs and trimmings

Method:
Wash the lungs and heart. Place in large pan of cold water with the meat trimmings and bring to the boil. Cook for about 2 hours. When cooked, strain off the stock and set aside.

Mince the lungs, heart and trimmings. Put the minced mixture in a bowl and add the finely chopped onions, oatmeal and seasoning. Mix well and add enough stock to moisten the mixture. It should have a soft crumbly consistency.

Spoon the mixture into the sheep's stomach, so that it's just over half full. Sew up the stomach with strong thread and prick a couple of times so it doesn't explode while cooking.

Put the haggis in a pan of boiling water (enough to cover it) and cook for 3 hours without a lid. Keep adding water to keep it covered. To serve, cut open the haggis and spoon out the filling.

hezwez, Apr 24, 10:08am
Enough already!

elliehen, Apr 24, 10:09am
Not quite...
WHOLE ROASTED HEDGEHOG

Hedgehog should have its throat cut, be singed and gutted, then trussed like a pullet, then pressed in a towel until very dry, roasted, and eaten with cameline or wild duck sauce.

Note that if the hedgehog refuses to unroll, put it in hot water - but don't tell the Masterchef judges ;)

hezwez, Apr 24, 10:14am
You'd sure need to gut it, the little terrors feed on our native geckos etc; you could find yourself eating endangered species. Thanks a bunch elliehen!

hezwez, Apr 24, 10:21am
Stuffed Roast Possum:
First you must dress the opossum. Sink it in very hot, but not boiling, water for 1 minute. Remove it from the water and scrape off the hair, being sure not to cut the skin. Slit from the bottom of the throat to the hind legs. Remove the entrails. Remove the head and tail. Reserve the liver to use for stuffing. If you don't know what the liver looks like, discard all the entrails and make the stuffing without the chopped liver.
Wash the opossum thoroughly with hot water, inside and out. Add 1 cup of salt to cold water in a large pot. Place the opossum in the water. Add more cold water to cover the opossum completely. Let stand overnight. Next day, drain off the salted water and rinse the opossum thoroughly with hot water. Drain well.
Stuffing for Roast Opossum
1 large onion, chopped fine
1 tablespoon fat (may use shortening, lard or oil)
1 opossum liver, chopped fine (optional)
1 cup dry bread crumbs
1 bell pepper, chopped
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 hard boiled egg, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
Brown the onion in the fat in a skillet. Add the liver and cook until liver is tender. Add the bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, egg, salt and small amount of water to moisten, approximately 2 to 3 tablespoons. Mix together and remove from heat.
Stuff the opossum and place in a roasting pan. Add 2 tablespoons water to pan. Bake at 350 degrees F, allowing 30 minutes per pound. Baste every 15 minutes with drippings in pan. Opossum is done when browned and tender, usually after 1 to 1 1/2 hours cooking time.
Bon appetit!

elliehen, Apr 24, 10:33am
That's a scrumpy Crumpy dish ;)

jazzryn, Apr 24, 11:07am
I want to know what the healthiest flour to use to make sour dough bread. Have diabetes so want a lower GI flour than our standard baking flour, do I need , unbleached, splet(spelling not right) mixture of wheat and rye. Want a flour that hasnt beenrefined to much. Need ideas. Am going to have a go at making it and see how it reactes with me, have been reading that its the yeast that we use also raises our blood sugar level.

hezwez, Apr 24, 11:36am
Have a look at this thread from about post #103 There's bound to be other info about alternative flours there too.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages. asp
x? id=131

joybells63, Apr 24, 12:06pm
clever maid... .

I mean wench... .

elliehen, Apr 24, 12:59pm
A WHOLEFOOD NIGHTCAP MADE FROM RAW MILK

posset (also spelled poshote, poshotte) was a British hot drink of milk curdled with wine or ale, often spiced, which was popular from medieval times to the 19th century. The word is mainly used nowadays for a related dessert similar to syllabub.
To make the drink, milk was heated to a boil, then mixed with wine or ale, which curdled it, and the mixture was usually spiced. It was considered a specific remedy for some minor illnesses, such as a cold, and a general remedy for others, as even today people drink hot milk to help them get to sleep.

The OED traces the word to the 15th century.

In 16th-century and later sources, possets are generally made from lemon, or other citrus, juice; cream and sugar. Eggs are often added, as well.

In the Forme of Cury "possynet" in the 18th century is referenced as part of a sauce made from stuffing, drippings, and meat gelatin for serving over goose. In this case, the posset might have served as a form of thickener, comparable in function to a modern white sauce of milk, butter, and flour.

The preparation of posset could be elaborate, and the word "posset" became a verb, meaning to coddle or pamper someone by taking trouble to make them comfortable.

Lady Macbeth uses poisoned possets to knock out the guards outside Duncan's quarters, "The doors are open, and the surfeited grooms Do mock their charge with snores. I have drugg'd their possets That death and nature do contend about them, Whether they live or die. " Macbeth Act II, Scene ii - William Shakespeare.

buzzy110, Apr 24, 7:29pm
It is amazing that even though I have specifically listed what is, isn't and what may not be wholefoods, some people just don't get it. for instance in hezwex's Possum recipe there is:
Breadcrumbs (made with highly refined flour using trans-fats and unnatural yeast)
Worcestershire sauce - Has soy ingredients that have not been correctly fermented and a quantity of easily digestible refined sugar.

buzzy110, Apr 24, 7:31pm
thank you for your recipes lhen. I see you deliberately selected those recipes that probably wouldn't appeal to most modern day tastes and so can only assume you are hoping, by this method to make people think that wholefoods are really unappealing at best and downright disgusting at worst.

However, one can only assume your heart was in the right place and that you mean well.

buzzy110, Apr 24, 7:45pm
A message to other posters - if lhen's attempts to show you that whole foods are disgusting melanges of weird and unusual foods then be assured, that whilst people actually did eat those foods once upon a time, and there are some who probably still do, in England in particular, wholefoods in a modern day context are much more appealing to our tastes.

Even today there are cultures who eat things that people of this land get all squeamish about. I can list things like fresh seaweeds, paua, durian fruit, offal, kimchee, chokos, yak butter, etc, and yet these foods are considered delicacies and highly sought after by their afficionadoes. Even some foods that I eat such as faggots, raw oysters, mussels, fish, pipi, cockles and scallops, kina and raw seaweed make others around me squirm in disgust. But who cares? The food is delicious by my standards and contains many nutrients that would be unavailable to me in the normal modern day diet.

And for what it is worth, I was taught to eat these things by people like my very blue eyed blond father, and via an intermediary, Wade Doak.

buzzy110, Apr 24, 7:48pm
I'd like to discuss Easily Digested Refined Carbohydrates - EDRC.

EDRC are carbohydrates that have been, as their name suggests, highly refined. They bear little or absolutely no resemblance to their source. They include the following:

hezwez, Apr 24, 7:52pm
So sue me.

buzzy110, Apr 24, 7:55pm
WHITE & REFINED SUGARS:
As you all know sugar comes from the sugar cane. It also comes from beets and probably other plant matter as well. In the case of white cane sugar, the high carbohydrate, sweet juice is extracted from the cane, cleaned using slaked lime, then thickened into a syrup by boiling. After than it is reboiled and turned into raw sugar crystals. Next it is shipped to the purchaser, (in our case Chelsea) where the brown syrup - molasses - is extracted leaving the pure white crystals that we love so much.