Food for a sick child

prendy1, Jun 29, 6:47am
My 10 year old daughter is really sick with a flu-type bug. She still has some appetite, but I'm struggling to think of easy, soft foods to give her. We've done stewed apples, yogurt, ice-blocks and fresh fruit, but I'd like to offer her something different as she goes into her 4th day with it tomorrow. Any ideas? What do you like when you're sick?

winnie231, Jun 29, 6:50am
Chicken soup made with alphabet pasta (you can buy the pasta at Bin Inn).

anne1955, Jun 29, 6:53am
Grated apple with powdered glucose on it..we got feed it and I feed the kids it when sick works a treat and if you do some custard as well that's getting more into her.Glucose is available in Supermarkets and isn't expensive..a powdered item just sprinkle it over a bit of stewed apple or even canned apple...Apart from that chicken soup even if it's canned..the glucose is a great builder up..I still keep some in the house...even over fav cerial (sp) ...it's sweet so kids like it..hope this helps.

prendy1, Jun 29, 6:55am
Sounds great, thanks. I have some chicken stock so will get cooking!

245sam, Jun 29, 6:57am
prendy1, you haven't mentioned eggs. One thing my Mum always offered and I enjoyed was a softly cooked (poached or boiled) egg and lovely fresh, soft crustless thinly sliced bread - normally we were expected to (and did) eat the crusts but not having those crusts to chew IMO makes even the freshest of bread all the more appetising when one is not feeling 100%.
Another option, and very appropriate for this chilly time of the year, is soup which can be packed with lots of nourishment.
My DH and I both enjoy salmon in parsley sauce and that is easy to eat when not feeling the best - it was a very much enjoyed comfort food for my then BF (now DH) when he had had all his teeth extracted.

Hope those thoughts help and that your daughter bounces back to normal health soon.:-))

prendy1, Jun 29, 7:22am
thanks for all your ideas. She fancies the sound of the grated apple a lot!

fishheadsoup, Jun 29, 7:53pm
even cook some mince, its easy to digest and its some source of protine which is what she needs! poor girl! xx

skata, Jun 29, 9:41pm
My son always liked scrambled eggs when he wasn't well or mashed banana.

darlingmole, Jun 29, 9:49pm
I'd be inclinded to crushed up vitamin C and echinacea tablets and put it in a spoonful of yoghurt and give at regular intervals during the day.Well, banana custard was a hit with my first batch of kids but my 2nd batch of kids prefer nothing except watered down lucozade.Poor thing having a birthday (the big count-down until school!) and feeling yuk ... hope your kiddie feels better really quickly.

kendy2, Jun 29, 9:53pm
I always like Instant Pudding, it's soothing being so cold and easy to swallow.

karlachikkidy, Jun 29, 10:58pm
we used to always get slightly flattened ginger ale and lemonade iceblocks, ill never forget that, funny how memories are

happybaby, Jun 30, 12:50am
boil up some rice with heaps of water & a bit of ginger, turn down heat&simmer = rice porridge. Have it with omelette or cooked veges, light enough for easy digestion. Another one is drink lots of warm honey lemon. or simply home-made chicken soup.

sarahb5, Jun 30, 1:13am
I'd stay away from dairy if she has the flu - dairy is very mucus forming.Basically I'd ask her what she wants to eat, even if its Maccas

rrrg, Jun 30, 4:10am
what about smoothies....my kids love mashed potato with cheese through it. Nice and soft. Kiwicrush from the supermarket freezer dept is good to if she like kiwifruit normally

kinna54, Jun 30, 4:20am
Not usually in favour of a lot of the fancy drinks, but powerade is an execption, and in this case I would be pumping it into her. As far as food goes, like others my mum always did the scrambled egg thing, chicken soup, noodles,avoid heavy meat products, they take a bit of digesting after illness, good old hearty vege soup and toast, egg custard. As a VERY special treat when ill, my kids loved sorbet or frozen yoghurt, and freshly squeezed orange juice, with loads of honey.

prendy1, Jun 30, 4:33am
Thanks everyone-chicken soup for tea tonight, followed by custard if she has the appetite. I really appreciate all your feedback!

prendy1, Jun 30, 6:47am
My 10 year old daughter is really sick with a flu-type bug. She still has some appetite, but I'm struggling to think of easy, soft foods to give her. We've done stewed apples, yogurt, ice-blocks and fresh fruit, but I'd like to offer her something different as she goes into her 4th day with it tomorrow. Any ideas! What do you like when you're sick!

anne1955, Jun 30, 6:53am
Grated apple with powdered glucose on it.we got feed it and I feed the kids it when sick works a treat and if you do some custard as well that's getting more into her.Glucose is available in Supermarkets and isn't expensive.a powdered item just sprinkle it over a bit of stewed apple or even canned apple.Apart from that chicken soup even if it's canned.the glucose is a great builder up.I still keep some in the house.even over fav cerial (sp) .it's sweet so kids like it.hope this helps.

245sam, Jun 30, 6:57am
prendy1, you haven't mentioned eggs. One thing my Mum always offered and I enjoyed was a softly cooked (poached or boiled) egg and lovely fresh, soft crustless thinly sliced bread - normally we were expected to (and did) eat the crusts but not having those crusts to chew IMO makes even the freshest of bread all the more appetising when one is not feeling 100%.
Another option, and very appropriate for this chilly time of the year, is soup which can be packed with lots of nourishment.
My DH and I both enjoy salmon in parsley sauce and that is easy to eat when not feeling the best - it was a very much enjoyed comfort food for my then BF (now DH) when he had had all his teeth extracted.

Hope those thoughts help and that your daughter bounces back to normal health soon.:-))

skata, Jun 30, 9:41pm
My son always liked scrambled eggs when he wasn't well or mashed banana.

darlingmole, Jun 30, 9:49pm
I'd be inclinded to crushed up vitamin C and echinacea tablets and put it in a spoonful of yoghurt and give at regular intervals during the day.Well, banana custard was a hit with my first batch of kids but my 2nd batch of kids prefer nothing except watered down lucozade.Poor thing having a birthday (the big count-down until school!) and feeling yuk . hope your kiddie feels better really quickly.

kendy2, Jun 30, 9:53pm
I always like Instant Pudding, it's soothing being so cold and easy to swallow.

sarahb5, Jul 1, 1:13am
I'd stay away from dairy if she has the flu - dairy is very mucus forming.Basically I'd ask her what she wants to eat, even if its Maccas

rrrg, Jul 1, 4:10am
what about smoothies.my kids love mashed potato with cheese through it. Nice and soft. Kiwicrush from the supermarket freezer dept is good to if she like kiwifruit normally