Food Allergies

hippydays, Apr 17, 11:25pm
My daughter is allergic to dairy and eggs.How many people out there have kids with allergies??I do alot of baking and making dairy free sweets, is there a market for them?? Would anyone buy dairy free chocolate? Choc chip biscuits? Muesli bars? Or do you think there is enough products available and affordable for our kiddies??

redslapper, Apr 17, 11:27pm
hi there i am dairy free also no kids yet im still working on that LOL but yes i would buy dairy free sweets in a heart beat

redslapper, Apr 17, 11:29pm
so forgot to say there is not anywhere near enough dairy free stuff at all next to no junk food ect and eat out is just nuts

hippydays, Apr 18, 10:48pm
I agree there isnt much choice out there, thanks for that!

kinna54, Apr 19, 10:19am
Yep I think there would be a market. A few years ago I had a relative who had to have non dairy, used to pay a fortune for Pritikin products, and these days with the PC factor at pre-schools and daycares about what food you can send I think it would be good.

acv1, Apr 19, 9:30pm
Would LOVE it if someone in NZ made an egg, dairy, nut, gluten and soy free chocolate so we didnt have to get safe choccie from the UK :)

rchelley, Apr 20, 2:14am
There are loads of dairy free alternatives - our miss 5 was dairy free for a few months and miss 3 was dairy free until January this year.I also did all of our baking to accommodate her requirements.It didn't really make that much of an extra dent in our grocery bill.

check out the mfd website for a huge range of dairy free products available

norse_westie, Apr 20, 7:20am
I had dairy free kids for five years and had no problem. Most choc chips are dairy free, as is the very best chocolate. Its helpful if you do your own baking too. I dont use eggs much anyway, so I think most recipes would adapt.

hippydays, Apr 20, 10:49pm
Yer its all good if you can bake for you kids, but not everyone does and it would be nice for kids with allergies to have more options at the supermarket that didn't break the bank!! Im doing market research so thanks for the comments!!

allspices, Apr 21, 1:39am
Our dairy/egg allergic grand daughter was able to eat dark chocolate that had no dairy content. It had to be the high % cocoa content. We used to melt it and dip marshmellowsthen let them harden as an Easter treat. Was great fun for a limited sweet treat girl.

merlot32, Jun 21, 6:36am
my boy is diary, egg, nut free.I bake heaps of different things.I made snow a type of marshmallow recipe out of edmonds cook book. I use Oliviamarg, rice bran oil, no egg egg replacer, white vinegar and baking soda as substitutes too.
Allergy NZ is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!! Soy milk is what I use also :)Have fun and change ingredients to suit you.I use to use rice flour also

merlot32, Jun 22, 6:36am
my boy is diary, egg, nut free.I bake heaps of different things.I made snow a type of marshmallow recipe out of edmonds cook book. I use Oliviamarg, rice bran oil, no egg egg replacer, white vinegar and baking soda as substitutes too.
Allergy NZ is fantastic! Soy milk is what I use also :)Have fun and change ingredients to suit you.I use to use rice flour also

hippydays, Apr 17, 11:25pm
My daughter is allergic to dairy and eggs.How many people out there have kids with allergies!I do alot of baking and making dairy free sweets, is there a market for them! Would anyone buy dairy free chocolate! Choc chip biscuits! Muesli bars! Or do you think there is enough products available and affordable for our kiddies!

rchelley, Apr 20, 2:14am
There are loads of dairy free alternatives - our miss 5 was dairy free for a few months and miss 3 was dairy free until January this year.I also did all of our baking to accommodate her requirements.It didn't really make that much of an extra dent in our grocery bill.

check out the mfd website for a huge range of dairy free products available

hippydays, Apr 20, 10:49pm
Yer its all good if you can bake for you kids, but not everyone does and it would be nice for kids with allergies to have more options at the supermarket that didn't break the bank! Im doing market research so thanks for the comments!