Mashed Potatoes

Page 2 / 2
petal1955, Mar 19, 7:15am
Add Pepper & Salt, garlic butter. a littlecream .and heaps of fresh thyme, chives and parsley.

twigs2, Mar 19, 7:18am
Paul Newman's Ranch Dressing makes a great addition to mashed potatoes. Beat til nice and smooth!

lodgelocum, Mar 19, 7:42am
Potato Pie - Add together cooked mashed potatoes, lots of butter, salt, pepper, finely diced onion, two eggs, 2 teaspoon cornflour (no milk), it is quite a runny mixture, place in greased oven dish, bake approximately 30-40 minutes 180-200 degrees, it bakes to a very tasty side dish, a lovely crunchy top and a smooth fluffy mixture.

very_hotpants, Mar 19, 7:48am
Chives

noelee, Mar 19, 8:04am
There a lady at our tuck shop mixed mashed potatoes with a tin of corned beef Hellabys not sure if she mixed it with grated chesse yummy on toast just for the parent helpers of course.

mwood, Mar 19, 8:08pm
Put a big helping of heaped mashed potato in a soup bowl and pour gravy over it, sprinkle with cracked pepper - think KFC Potato & Gravy - eat with a spoon.

bev00, Mar 20, 10:20am
I add 1 Tbsp of homemade basil pesto with pecorino cheese to my boiled potatoes then mash.The flavour is devine!

daisyhill, Mar 20, 10:54am
I am old school - nothing required but butter and salt, and maybe a wee drop of milk. Potatoes are so delicious by themselves that flavouring seems unnecessary.

What I *would* really miss is my ricer. We got one as part of a wedding present in 2006 and I've used it regularly ever since. Ordinary mashed potatoes are never as good as ones put through the ricer - the end result is so perfect, fluffy and lump-free. It's a tiny bit awkward to wash because it doesn't fit in our sink but I still use it all the time, which says a lot about how good riced potato is.

nzhel, Mar 20, 11:57pm
Mashed with butter and and milk and then a very generous helping of tasty grated cheese mix thru. Place small mounds - (I use an ice cream scoop) on a greased oven tray or a tray lined with baking paper and brown lightly until heated thru in the oven. Delicious and for the ultra in naughtyness when you eat them, poke a hole in the hole in the tops with your knife and put in a small knob of butter - yum! A real 'keep a heart surgeon in a job stuff'! Needless to say we don't have these very often.

amazing_grace, Mar 21, 4:39am
Try boiling the potatoes in very good chicken stock, then mashing.mmmmmmmmmmm

badams1, Mar 21, 5:06am
The humble potatoe, Who could live without them.

dolphin9, Mar 21, 8:29am
I always do mine like this as its yum, simple but effective.Boil potatoes with no salt.When cooked add your usual butter/milk to mash but also add chicken salt, mmmmm.As above I always dish my mashed potatoes out with an icecream scoop, the kind with the part you press.Some of my kids friends say it looks cool, potatoe balls, comments like that.But to me its normal cause thats how my Mum always did it.

clareo, Mar 21, 11:11pm
Honestly love this stuff with our mashed potatoes:
http://www.smokeandspice.co.nz/about-smoke-and-spice/

sporty32, Mar 21, 11:19pm
My hubby adds a packet of Maggi Onion Soup Mix (or part of a pkt) depending on amount.along with Butter and Milk of course. It's so easy and real yummy!

elliehen, Mar 22, 3:35am
I like this nzhel!Winter is comfort food time and potatoes are comfort food :-)

maynard9, Mar 22, 3:41am
OMG - it must be the Irish in me but I absolutely adore mashed potatoes.

I am going to Ireland in 2 months time so really looking forward to seeing what they produce in their local pubs.

and a ricer here too

arrowmax, Mar 22, 8:28am
add couple of garlic cloves when boiling, then mash with chopped spinach, parmesan, little bit of butter, milk and seasoning

jcdm, Mar 28, 5:19am
My partner makes citrus mash from the food truck cookbook.it's Devine and is best served with coleslaw.500g boiling potatoes mashed, pinch salt, 1/2 cup low fat milk, zest of half a lemon.Boil potatoes, pour milk into a small saucepan and add lemon zest, bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 3 minutes, remove from heat and mix with potatoes.

daisyhill, Mar 28, 8:42am
That's how we had our potatoes too and I had totally forgotten about it until I read your post. It even sounds like the same sort of icecream scoop! Wow, what a blast from the past.