Seaching for the perfect scone

Page 1 / 2
cookessentials, Jan 8, 2:48am
Made the buttermilk scones this afternoon and served them with Hanks Jam in triple berry and Clearwater clotted cream which was very nice.

dbab, Jan 8, 3:09am
Why are you laughing pickles!
Some great suggestions.Thanks

cookessentials, Jan 8, 3:27am
Yes, very strange. Maybe pickles is crying instead!

arabelle, Jan 8, 5:22am
My trick to making scones when I did, was to grate the butter and cheese, less mixing and handling required, and also put them into a cold oven. sofrom beginning to end was about 30 mins. were light and lasted for the day, if not eaten. so suitable for supper if made in morning. never ever lasted overnight so dont know aboutlongevity.

cookessentials, Jan 8, 5:40am
Yes, thats a great idea. I also grate my butter into the flour mixture, it makes the job much easier.

southerngurl, Jan 8, 7:04am
what does buttermilk do to the texture and taste!

cookessentials, Jan 8, 7:06am
It makes them lovely and soft and also they stay moist longer.

solid_citizen, Jan 8, 7:55am
Perfect cheese scones 3 ingreds
3 cups self raising flour
great cold tasty cheese enough to fill a triangle grater to approx 3Quarters (sorry never measured maybe 2 cups)
add to flour.go to cold water tap and start cutting the water in to mixture with a knife till fairly wet, tip on board and knead lightly, cut and place on oven tray 225 10minAmazing

cookessentials, Jan 8, 9:05am
They sound quick and easy solid_citizen

aly5, Apr 17, 10:35pm
I just found a recipe for cafe scones, which has cream and water but no butter in it. Was just wondering if you think butter is important in scones? I've done the lemonade/cream scone before but want something with a bit more substance to them.

rainrain1, Apr 17, 10:42pm
Date and lemon Scones

150mls milk
150mls cream
1 egg
(Beat these 3 ingredients together)

Mix together 3 cups selfraising flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1 cup chopped dates
Zest of one lemon
Pour milks into dry ingredients and give a good old mix.
Lightly kneed and make a 2" high shape
Use a large round cutter or knife.
Glaze with milk and sugar
Cook on tray with flat side up until golden brown hot oven 10 - 15 minutes. Oven 200

aly5, Apr 17, 10:54pm
They sound delicious. Thanks rainrain1. Maybe the fat in the cream is enough to enrich the scone mixture?

rainrain1, Apr 17, 11:05pm
It's a Masterchef Recipe I copied from telly one day...they are really delicious

cookessentials, Apr 17, 11:12pm
The only scone I make is a buttermilk scone which stays soft even the next day. I have copy and pasted this off our website for you. I make large scones, so it would make about 6-8 large ones. They are lovely with a good,fruity jam such as strawberry and softly whipped cream.

Buttermilk Scones.(Makes 16)
Ingredients:
2 cups self raising flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp caster sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
60g butter
2/3 - 3/4 cup buttermilk
Method:
Sift all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, rub in butter until mix resembles breadcrumbs. Add enough buttermilk to make a fairly soft dough. Turn onto a floured board and knead lightly. Pat or roll dough to about 1cm thickness. Cut into rounds with a 5cm (2 inch) cutter. Place on un-greased baking trays and bake in a preheated very hot oven (230C/450F) for 10 - 12 minutes or until golden. These are lovely ones to do with jam and whipped cream for afternoon tea.

aly5, Apr 17, 11:13pm
Thanks cookessentials. I know I can trust your recipes! Will give them a go. It's cold and dark here in ChCh, and I just felt in the mood for something warming and comforting (and something definately involving cream!)

kbrough, Apr 18, 7:59am
My secret to a good scone is to beat an egg in with the milk.

tinkagirl, Apr 18, 8:05am
I use to do the egg and milk thing but oneday I watched my mum and she just used cold cold water and they didn't taste or feel any different to mine so now I don't waste expensive milk and eggs and just use super cold water...

moore79, Apr 18, 8:07am
My husband makes the most delicious scones with water instead of milk and oil instead of butter!They are light and much nicer than ones make with butter and milk.

aly5, Apr 18, 8:10am
Couldn't decide which one recipe to try, so I made them both! Both were nice. I'm not usually into scones with "bits" in them, but the date and lemon has just the right of flavourto make them interesting. The buttermilk scones were lovely too, light and fluffy. Really nice with cream and jam.

camper18, Apr 18, 9:24am
Was taught 50yrs ago by MIL to only use cream and milk or water for scones.
Could never make them as good as hers but I think I have a heavier hand than her.

marcs, Apr 18, 10:02am
doesn't matter what scones you make, I have recently discovered after working in a restaurant, once you have mixed your mixture together, let it rest for about half hour to 45min on the bench covered. Then roll out and cut but try not to overwork the dough. It makes the best soft scones.

missy_chester, Apr 18, 11:26am
Would anyone here have Brett McGregors mothers cheese scone recipe please? I googled it but only got results with no measurements and only three ingredients. Tasty cheese, (yep, have to remorgage the house to buy some), SR flour and blue top milk. I know, I know, very fattening.
My sister made up a big batch for a family get together a few months back and they were....delicous! She gave me the recipe but i lost it. I tried it with half wholemeal and half white flour (trying to be a bit healthy) but it wasn't very nice.

cookessentials, Apr 18, 6:58pm
No, but I have the Wallace and Grommit cheese scone recipe which is also fantastic.

cookessentials, Apr 18, 7:01pm
Here they are. I copy and pasted this from another thread we had ages ago where I had put it.

These are delish and are for SERIOUS cheese lovers

"We need more cheese Gromit!" Very serious cheesy scones which use way more cheese than normal for a scone mix; they will not rise quite as high as plain scones. Try and use a good quality mature Cheddar or any type of strong cheese that is available. They can be made in about 20 minutes, if you have all the ingredients to hand and the oven has been pre-heated. Great for afternoon tea, picnics, buffets & packed lunches. You can also add chopped chives & herbs for a change.

500 g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
4 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon English mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
75 g butter
300 ml milk
200 g extra mature cheddar cheese, grated
1 egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 220C

Mix all the dry ingredients together.

Rub in the butter until it remsembles crumbs.

Add 160 of the grated cheese & mix well.

Add the milk and mix very quickly - do not over mix.

Mixture should be sticky and soft, if too dry, add more milk.

Place onto a floured board a knead briefly.

Roll out to about 3cms/1" thickness.

Stamp 12-14 rounds out of the dough - do NOT twist the scone cutters as it stops them from rising!

Place close together on a greased biscuit/baking tray.

Brush the beaten egg over each scone as a glaze and sprinkle the remaining 40g of cheese over the top.

Bake in a pre-heated oven for 10-12 minutes until well risen and golden brown.

Cool slightly, then spilt them in half, butter them -- divine!

missy_chester, Apr 18, 10:08pm
Thank you, will try that sometime. Brett McGregors Mums recipe has less ingredients (no butter, and no eggs so slightly cheaper to make) and also, you just mix everything together and literaly plop blobs of it on a tray and they come out looking very impressive!