Your best scone secrets?

julmar, May 11, 9:42pm
Just curious, almost everyone has them. Here is my version of must do's lol.

I always grate cold butter in to the mix.
always use self raising flour.
Use 2 TBSP of milk powder and add water to the ingredients to bind.
Mix the dough, put onto floured board, flatten, fold in half, repeast 3-4 times, then flatten, cut and bake in a really hot oven.

They come out in layers much like a flakey pastry. used to always make small windowless buidlings till I experimented .

Baking them in my coal range is always more successful, have to turn them 4 x during baking due to the hot spot in the range. But so worth cranking her up.

cookessentials, May 11, 9:50pm
I always grate cold butter into the mix. I blend well, rubbing the butter and flour together with my hands. I use buttermilk which gives a soft, fluffy scone that is fresh still the next day.

gennie, May 12, 3:19am
seconding the buttermilk. Buttermilk makes them very tender instead of tough. I grate the butter too so easy to rub in and do 2t of BP for every cup of flour. Mmmmm.

jennie5963, May 12, 3:36am
Straight from Jo Seagars Clevedon cafe where my friend worked. Melt butter in the microwave with a bit of the milk so it doesn't spit. Make as usual, roll out and score deeply but don't cut through ie. leave as one big scone. Bake in hot oven. Pull apart and you won't have as any crusty edges.

lx4000, May 12, 4:43am
I use the impossible scone revpie which has melted butter and a egg! ! mmMmm

hehehe bestest ever! !

lx4000, May 12, 4:44am
or have cheese in it and then you don't need butter! !

Wwwwaayyyy easier! !

marcs, May 12, 7:14am
My secret. Do not overmix the dough. Just mix till it comes together then gently pat it out on a floured surface and cut. the more you hand your dough the harder the scones will be. The lemonade and cream scones come out beautiful and I found that you can handle the dough just that little bit more.

waswoods, Apr 24, 9:06am
I use oil, an egg, and yogurt