Scone Toast

Page 1 / 2
catfan, Aug 11, 7:05am
Just tried this new loaf from Golden and liked it. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas how to go about making it yourself?

noonesgirl, Aug 11, 7:11am
Never heard of it. What is Golden?

waswoods, Aug 11, 7:13am
Oh it's very yummy! My teenagers will plough through a lot if I let them. Now I hide it in the deepfreeze and bring out a loaf at a time

catfan, Aug 11, 7:21am
Golden are the company putting it out - also do crumpets - I don't know what bakery group they belong to - possibly Tip Top

Scone toast is a loaf - cut very thicj and has a scone- type taste when toasted - has yeast and buttermilk in ingredients - would love to try to make it. The load I bought cost $3. 99 so can't justify buying it regularly

noonesgirl, Aug 11, 7:34am
sounds yum. Will look out for it. Know the crumpets etc. not sure if its in ChCh?

kiwivixin28, Aug 11, 9:07am
Its in chch mike yardly was talking abt it on talk back this morning... .

kcak, Aug 11, 9:18am
I tried it but won't be buying it again. It has a more 'cakey' texture than bread which, I guess, resembles scones. I sliced the pieces in half as they are so thick and tried it with brown sugar and cinnamon, which I thought was better than jam.

ferita, Aug 11, 6:16pm
I havent tried it but it sounds like it is a lot like irish soda bread. Look for a recipe for that and it may be similar

delta3, Aug 11, 7:30pm
I treat it like a scone. Put lashings of butter on and nuke it melted thru. Nice with a bit of cheese on too.

luckyduck, Aug 11, 11:19pm
Very nice toasted with butter and honey on... yum.

socram, Aug 12, 3:00am
Sounds as though it would make a good base for a bread and butter pud!

cap, Aug 12, 3:56am
I have tried it and didn't really like it that much either. I found it too heavy.

wildflower, Aug 12, 4:42am
Yep it's Tip Top.

greerg, Aug 12, 8:03am
Saw it in Woolworths at Church Corner a couple of weeks ago noones girl.

waswoods, Aug 12, 8:49am
Mmmmm ... ... that's a good idea!

sarahb5, Aug 14, 1:39am
Doesn't have the taste or texture of either a scone or soda bread - its OK and at $3. 99 was enough for morning tea for 3 teenage boys and 2 adults with some left over so actually didn't think it was that bad. If I'd bought 5 scones they would've been more than 80c each. Had ours with butter and jam.

sarahb5, Aug 14, 1:40am
Not really - too heavy and the texture is all wrong - I think if it was soaked in milk it would just go heavy and gluggy/doughy

socram, Aug 14, 3:55am
I wouldn't be soaking it in just milk, but an egg and milk mixture. No idea if that makes a difference to the lightness!

An old fashioned bread-pudding (not bread and butter pudding - they are totally different) ) was always very heavy anyway. The bread in that was just soaked in milk, the surplus squeezed out, then add cinnamon, mixed spice and dried fruit. UK prisons used to use up left over bread that way, as it was very cheap - no eggs.

2boysmum, Aug 14, 4:26am
I prefer the crumpet toast they do... havent seen that for ages thou.

reese, Aug 14, 5:43am
Personally i LOVED it. Really filled my tummy! !

rolznsp, Aug 14, 5:52am
its foul in my opinion! Mr 5 years and hubby had one bite of theirs and screwed their face's up also - Does not taste like scone to me at all. I would rathar just buy Sultana/Raisin toas or crumpets.

jules555, Aug 14, 11:07pm
yuk too heavy my scones are better! ! ! !

sarahb5, Aug 14, 11:20pm
It is far too heavy to be used for bread and butter pudding (and saying you would be soaking it is in milk was a simplistic answer) or bread pudding (and yes I know the difference). My mum makes fantastic bread pudding and it is neither heavy nor stodgy even though it uses suet.

My personal opinion, having tried it, is that it's OK as it is but I wouldn't want to use it for anything else other than for what its intended.

sarahb5, Aug 15, 1:13am
Just checked my mum's recipe for baked bread pudding and that has 2 eggs in it.

catfan, Aug 15, 9:24am
Thanks for all the answers and I appreciate that it's not to everyone's taste and that it's certainly not a scone. But does anyone have any idea how to go about trying to make it yourself? Would something like a scone mix used with yeast and buttermilk produce something similar? Could you use a breadmaker for the mixing?