Scone question Why?

enterprise3, Oct 16, 11:31pm
When I take scones out of the oven why do I always wrap them in a clean tea towel, as my Grandmother and mother did. Is there some reason for doing this, does it makes the scones any better, or is this just one of those traditions handed down from generation to generation. Looked in the Edmonds book no mention of what to do with them once removed from oven. What do you do with them?

buzzy110, Oct 16, 11:34pm
You know, I bet Aunt Daisy is to blame for this!! I'll go and check it out and get back to you.

buzzy110, Oct 16, 11:39pm
No. I was wrong. Aunt Daisy give no such hint or tip.

pam.delilah, Oct 16, 11:49pm
when scones are wrapped up in a tea towel the residual heat steams the scone and locks in the moisture and keeps scones soft. It is best to leave the scones well covered until they completely cool.

enterprise3, Oct 16, 11:50pm
My grandmother was Older than Aunt Daisy, I even can remember her when I was younger. now that show my age. My husband remember his mother doing it as well and bringing the scones out to the workman on the farm.

gardie, Oct 17, 12:31am
I always used to do this but found that when you didn't, you got a scrummy crunchy top which I love.Still love them soft too of course, the but crunchy bit - esp. date scones - is yum.

nauru, Oct 17, 3:57am
Definitely not an Aunt Daisy thing as I remember my Mum & Gran (in England) did this too and so do I.I think it was a tip passed on from generation to generation, but as someone else said it was to keep the scones moist within & soft on top.

coolnzmum, Oct 17, 4:00am
I don't do it with scones, maybe I should but I do do it with bread to keep it soft and help stop the top getting too hard.

samanya, Oct 17, 4:07am
To keep the flies off them ;o)

pickles7, Oct 17, 8:57am
No you all got that wrong, it is so men couldn't find them.

lyndyhopper, Oct 17, 9:18am
I love scones.mmm.I put my scones in a teatowel on a rack.

marywea, Oct 17, 11:09am
Pikelets were put between layers of teatowel in our home and I still do this.

cookessentials, Jun 6, 10:51pm
The warmth of the scones in the teatowel help the tops stay soft as opposed to going crusty and crisp on the top.