Scone experts in here please

gemini007, Jun 1, 9:12pm
Help - my scones always come out rather heavy and dense - what am I doing wrong? I want the scones like they serve at high tea - lovely and light. Thanks

margyr, Jun 1, 9:34pm
hi, i am a cheat and used the pre made scone mix, but do know that you should not overwork your dough, mix it as quickly as you can using a knife, and when shaping make them fairly big and dont play with them too much.

cookessentials, Jun 1, 9:41pm
I would say that you are perhaps overmixing. I make a buttermilk scone which is light and fluffy and a great easy recipe if you would like it?

margyr, Jun 1, 9:42pm
pvermixing?

baitcatcher, Jun 1, 9:49pm
Hi gemini007
My cheesebacon & shallot scones just came out of the oven!
Im with margyr, also all ingredients should b at room temp including the milk or cream & cover them with a clean teatowel as soon as the scones come out of the oven (it will keep them moist &fresh longer)
hope this helps.

cookessentials, Jun 1, 10:00pm
yep, you have to be quick! LOL

Mmm, now baitcatcher, I am sitting here at my desk and just considering ordering a flat white from the caf'e across the road... . do you think I could have one of your scones? just warm with plenty of butter if you dont mind!

purplegoanna, Jun 1, 10:05pm
im with you, i can cook almost anything BUT the humble scone! my friend makes these wonderful small lite airy cheese scones but mine turn out to be items hubby reckons i could stone crows with! ! !

gemini007, Jun 1, 10:05pm
Okay - yes that makes sense - yrs ago I used to always overmix my muffins, but have since bought glass bowls so I can see when it's just mixed enough. I guess I am worried about lumps of flour which I used to sometimes bite into when I bought scones from a cafe in town (ages ago).

cookessentials - I would love your buttermilk scone recipe :-)

Thanks guys - I'm off to bake now.

cookessentials, Jun 1, 10:08pm
Buttermilk Scones.
Ingredients:
2 cups self raising flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp caster sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
60g butter
2/3 - 3/4 cup buttermilk
Method:
Sift all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, rub in butter until mix resembles breadcrumbs. Add enough buttermilk to make a fairly soft dough. Turn onto a floured board and knead lightly. Pat or roll dough to about 1cm thickness. Cut into rounds with a 5cm (2 inch) cutter. Place on un-greased baking trays and bake in a preheated very hot oven (230C/450F) for 10 - 12 minutes or until golden. These are lovely ones to do with jam and whipped cream for afternoon tea.

gemini007, Jun 1, 10:08pm
Me too purple - most things I have no problem with but the things that most people find really easy - I tend to struggle with! ! So frustrating! I have also given up on merangues (sp? ) - I really can't do anything that requires beating egg whites to a certain consistancy and anything that requires "folding". So I stick to what I am good at and leave the rest to everyone else. Know your limitations I say!

gemini007, Jun 1, 10:09pm
Thanks cookessentials

purplegoanna, Jun 1, 10:11pm
lol i cant stand pav or meringues and hubby isnt keen on them so im safe on that score... . . my next mission to conquer is going to be hollandaise sauce, never made it but it looks devine... . the eggs benedict at our local cafe looks so scrummy

margyr, Jun 1, 10:14pm
the cafe probably used a pre made one, the kato brand is yummy and being as you are in Auckland you can probably get it at your local supermarket.

purplegoanna, Jun 1, 10:20pm
r u talking to me? re: the hollandaise sauce? does it come in a packet? lol (most things do) would it be pak n save or woolworths or countdown and what section...

purplegoanna, Jun 1, 10:21pm
im on the phone to kato now enquiring... .

margyr, Jun 1, 10:23pm
yep purple it is in a big plasic container like they do soup in now, has a pourer screw top on it, either with the sauces and gravies or in the chilled dept. and if you dont use it all up on the eggs benedict use it between layers of vege lasagne, also have put it in my scones, mashed spud.

margyr, Jun 1, 10:26pm
another supplier;Tatua Farms Hollandaise Sauce has a 6-month unopened shelf life. Once opened use within 7 days.

Storage
May be stored at ambient (below 20°C). Refrigerate once opened.

Dietary Implications and Approvals
Product Allergen Information

Product Tips/Applications
Drizzle over chicken, seafood, asparagus or eggs.
Perfect for eggs benedict or eggs florentine.
Add Hollandaise Sauce to pies or quiches. It is guaranteed to impress.
Use as a base to add your own ingredients.
Serve as a dip to accompany an antipasto platter and breads, pita chips, or fresh crisp vegetable sticks.
Add a dash of lemon juice, vinegar or a tablespoon of melted butter for a richer Hollandaise Sauce.
Add honey and wholegrain mustard, and use as a dressing for a potato salad.
Add hot english mustard for an easy tangy mustard sauce - perfect for corned beef.
For a delicious sauce for chicken, add a splash of orange juice and zest.
Warm mint jelly and add to hollandaise sauce for a delicious accompaniment to lamb.

Contact Us
The TATUA Co-operative Dairy Company Limited
Telephone+ 64 7 889 3999

purplegoanna, Jun 1, 10:27pm
ok so what does it taste like. i was assuming it was similiar to cheese sauce? but im thinking not?

margyr, Jun 1, 10:30pm
not really, very rich, did not like it on eggs benedict although all those i served it too gave it the thumbs up, but in the vege lasagne and tortilla stacks it was yum. and you can either pour it cold onto the eggs or heat it, either way is acceptable.

pommekate, Jun 1, 10:49pm
My best hint for light fluffy scones is not to overmix and when you put them in the oven you must put them all next each other as they will bake lighter and fluffier if they join

cookessentials, Jun 1, 10:50pm
hollandaise is easy to make.

cookessentials, Jun 28, 7:19pm
1 tablespoon water
1/4 cup (60ml) white wine vinegar
2 tsp lemon juice
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp black peppercorns
3 egg yolks
185g butter, melted

Bring the water, vinegar, juice, bay leaf and peppercorns to the boil in a small saucepan. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until liquid is reduced to 2 tablespoons. Strain and reserve liquid; cool 10 minutes.

Combine egg yolks and vinegar mixture in a medium heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water; do not allow water to touch base of bowl. Whisk mixture constantly until thickened. Remove from heat. Skim milk solids from top of melted butter; gradually add hot butter in a thin stream, whisking constantly until mixture is thick and creamy. Discard milk solids at bottom of pan. Season.