SCONE EXPERTS HELP!!!!

mallee, Jul 15, 1:54am
Ladies, I hope you can help me out here. When I cut into my cooked scones, they crumble. It's so disappointing. Any and all tips gratefully recieved. Thank you in advance.

cookessentials, Jul 15, 1:58am
Hi Mallee- I only ever make buttermilk scones. they are easy to make, stay soft, even the next day and are the nicest ones I have had in a long time. it may be that the flour/butter/milk ratio is not quite right, giving you dryinsh, crumbly scones.

cookessentials, Jul 15, 1:59am
Buttermilk Scones.
Ingredients:
2 cups self raising flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp caster sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
60g butter
2/3 - 3/4 cup buttermilk
Method:
Sift all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, rub in butter until mix resembles breadcrumbs. Add enough buttermilk to make a fairly soft dough. Turn onto a floured board and knead lightly. Pat or roll dough to about 1cm thickness. Cut into rounds with a 5cm (2 inch) cutter. Place on un-greased baking trays and bake in a preheated very hot oven (230C/450F) for 10 - 12 minutes or until golden. These are lovely ones to do with jam and whipped cream for afternoon tea.

mallee, Jul 15, 2:06am
Bless you cookessential, and thank you. Oh if only I could buy butter milk. We are currently living in Vanuatu, and no butter milk to be had, unfortunately. I'm putting 5 tbsp of shortening (margarine) to 3/4 cup of milk, however, I have noticed there's still a little bit of flour left in the bottom of the bowl when I turn out the scone mixture. I'm never certain if I should add more milk, or if it will make it too sticky.

cookessentials, Jul 15, 2:16am
You dont want a dry mix though mallee- it needs to be a little sticky. that will disappear once you pop it onto the floured board and knead gently.

cookessentials, Jul 15, 2:17am
You can make your own buttermilk if you dont have it, by adding lemon juice to the milk. I have the exact amounts somewhere, i shall come back to you in a minute.

cookessentials, Jul 15, 2:18am
It's one tablespoon of lemon juice per cup of milk. let it sit for a minute or so after you have mixed it in.

mallee, Jul 15, 2:25am
Thank you again Pam for taking the time. Next time I will do it with buttermilk, and have the mix a bit sticky, that's possibly why the scones crumble. I will now go and browes your listings. Have a happy afternoon.

agvac, Jul 17, 5:40am
How much butter are you using, try cutting back.

sarahb5, Jul 17, 6:18am
The lemonade scone mix is pretty foolproof as well. I think its 1 pottle of cream, 1 can of lemonade and 3 cups of flour.

My mum always told me if you overwork them they go dry and crumbly and don't rise either.

rainrain1, Nov 5, 1:51am
Here you go :-)

Date and lemon Scones

150mls milk
150mls cream
1 egg
(Beat these 3 ingredients together)

Mix together 3 cups selfraising flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1 cup chopped dates
Zest of one lemon
Pour milks into dry ingredients and give a good old mix.
Lightly kneed and make a 2" high shape
Use a large round cutter or knife.
Glaze with milk and sugar
Cook on tray with flat side up until golden brown hot oven 10 - 15 minutes. Oven 200