Seaching for the perfect scone

Page 2 / 2
aly5, Apr 18, 10:35pm
I just found a recipe for cafe scones, which has cream and water but no butter in it. Was just wondering if you think butter is important in scones! I've done the lemonade/cream scone before but want something with a bit more substance to them.

aly5, Apr 18, 10:54pm
They sound delicious. Thanks rainrain1. Maybe the fat in the cream is enough to enrich the scone mixture!

rainrain1, Apr 18, 11:05pm
It's a Masterchef Recipe I copied from telly one day.they are really delicious

aly5, Apr 18, 11:13pm
Thanks cookessentials. I know I can trust your recipes! Will give them a go. It's cold and dark here in ChCh, and I just felt in the mood for something warming and comforting (and something definately involving cream!)

elliehen, Apr 19, 2:56am
I remember watching her make them - her 'secret ingredient' was a pinch of cayenne pepper.

malcovy, Apr 19, 3:12am
I will try your tip right now

510, Apr 19, 3:39am
The cheese scone recipe in ladies a plate has boiling wate,r cayenne peepe milk &cream & the dry ingredients.I have made them with great success.

tinkagirl, Apr 19, 8:05am
I use to do the egg and milk thing but oneday I watched my mum and she just used cold cold water and they didn't taste or feel any different to mine so now I don't waste expensive milk and eggs and just use super cold water.

aly5, Apr 19, 8:10am
Couldn't decide which one recipe to try, so I made them both! Both were nice. I'm not usually into scones with "bits" in them, but the date and lemon has just the right of flavourto make them interesting. The buttermilk scones were lovely too, light and fluffy. Really nice with cream and jam.

marcs, Apr 19, 10:02am
doesn't matter what scones you make, I have recently discovered after working in a restaurant, once you have mixed your mixture together, let it rest for about half hour to 45min on the bench covered. Then roll out and cut but try not to overwork the dough. It makes the best soft scones.

marcs, Apr 19, 11:21am
How did it turn out?

missy_chester, Apr 19, 11:26am
Would anyone here have Brett McGregors mothers cheese scone recipe please! I googled it but only got results with no measurements and only three ingredients. Tasty cheese, (yep, have to remorgage the house to buy some), SR flour and blue top milk. I know, I know, very fattening.
My sister made up a big batch for a family get together a few months back and they were.delicous! She gave me the recipe but i lost it. I tried it with half wholemeal and half white flour (trying to be a bit healthy) but it wasn't very nice.

ruby19, Apr 19, 8:28pm
These work well for me
2 cups pl flour
1 tbsp baking powder
salt
50g butter
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup tasty cheese grated
1 egg
1 tbsp water
pinch cayenne
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1 small red onion finely chopped
put the flour, salt,cayenne, and mustard powder into food processorcombine, add butter and pulse until it looks like breadcrumbs stage. add sour cream egg & water, onion & cheese, again pulse until mixture just comes together, tip out onto floured board and just push dough together to make one big scone ( as little handling as possible) then slice into 8 wedges, and place in separately on a baking tray at180 Oc oven for approx. 12-15 min until golden.

malcovy, Apr 19, 9:57pm
Impressive, great tip and thanks for sharing.

elliehen, Apr 20, 2:56am
I remember watching her make them - her 'secret ingredient' was a pinch of cayenne pepper.

510, Apr 20, 3:39am
The cheese scone recipe in ladies a plate has boiling water cayenne pepper milk & cream , flour & bkg pdr.I have made them with great success.

marcs, Apr 20, 11:21am
How did it turn out!

bev00, Jan 8, 10:53am
Annette Whites are my fave and yes they have butter in them.

wheelz, Jan 8, 7:00pm
You can use a pastry blender, it's a D shaped thing with wires and wooden handle.From Stevens for approx $6.00. Cuts butter in very quickly without the problem of melting the butter with your fingers.