Making a cup of tea

Page 2 / 5
elliehen, Feb 25, 7:46am
People used to have precious tea sets kept in 'china cabinets' and either never used them, or brought them out very rarely.Recently a friend took out her 'Peace Rose' cups and saucers and a delicate china teapot and announced that she was going to use them every day.

Looking at the earthquake photos of smashed china, that makes sense to me.

elliehen, Feb 25, 7:46am
People used to have precious tea sets kept in 'china cabinets' and either never used them, or brought them out very rarely.Recently a friend took out her 'Peace Rose' cups and saucers and a delicate china teapot and announced that she was going to use them every day.

Looking at the earthquake photos of smashed china, that makes sense to me.

cookessentials, Feb 25, 8:27am
I collect teacups,saucers and plate sets and use them...there are no two the same and I love using the mixture of them, I have anything from Royal Doulton "Serena" ( my favourite) to Blue Willow, Winton etc etc and tea tastes so much better in "proper" tea cups.

cookessentials, Feb 25, 8:27am
I collect teacups,saucers and plate sets and use them.there are no two the same and I love using the mixture of them, I have anything from Royal Doulton "Serena" ( my favourite) to Blue Willow, Winton etc etc and tea tastes so much better in "proper" tea cups.

juliewn, Feb 25, 11:25am
Hi Erica.. :-).. how are you? I hope all is well..

I agree with you and the other lovely comments here.. and just a few weeks ago, my darling Miss 20 gave me a pretty floral teapot for my birthday, it's gorgeous, and holds just enough for us to share a cuppa together.. made with 'proper' tea, that doesn't come in a teabag..

I'll join you in sipping a hot cuppa and sending my caring and heartfelt thoughts to all in Canterbury that are going through these unimaginable and difficult times.. keep strong our fellow Kiwi's and guests from other shores.. you're thought of often.. x

ps Hi Pam.. wonder where the 'proper tea cups' and 'proper tea' started!

juliewn, Feb 25, 11:25am
Hi Erica. :-). how are you! I hope all is well.

I agree with you and the other lovely comments here. and just a few weeks ago, my darling Miss 20 gave me a pretty floral teapot for my birthday, it's gorgeous, and holds just enough for us to share a cuppa together. made with 'proper' tea, that doesn't come in a teabag.

I'll join you in sipping a hot cuppa and sending my caring and heartfelt thoughts to all in Canterbury that are going through these unimaginable and difficult times. keep strong our fellow Kiwi's and guests from other shores. you're thought of often. x

ps Hi Pam. wonder where the 'proper tea cups' and 'proper tea' started!

nzhel, Feb 25, 12:06pm
Very well said cookessentials - couldn't agree more! There are some lovely helpful posters on this thread which makes it a pleasure most of the time. It can be quite a shock when you find yourself on the end of a stinging uncalled for reply which quite puts you off commenting or asking anything ever again. It certainly doesn't take long to sort out those that are fond of doing that and treat them with the ignore they deserve! I think we all have much more important thoughts and things to say to those who have suffered so much in ChCh.
I must say I grew up with parents to whom 'a proper cup of tea' was of the most importance - and fortunately - or unfortunately its rubbed off and I very much like a 'proper cup of tea' these days myself! Very rarely a teabag for me - I still like to use loose tea as I think it makes a better cup myself!

nzhel, Feb 25, 12:06pm
Very well said cookessentials - couldn't agree more! There are some lovely helpful posters on this thread which makes it a pleasure most of the time. It can be quite a shock when you find yourself on the end of a stinging uncalled for reply which quite puts you off commenting or asking anything ever again. It certainly doesn't take long to sort out those that are fond of doing that and treat them with the ignore they deserve! I think we all have much more important thoughts and things to say to those who have suffered so much in ChCh.
I must say I grew up with parents to whom 'a proper cup of tea' was of the most importance - and fortunately - or unfortunately its rubbed off and I very much like a 'proper cup of tea' these days myself! Very rarely a teabag for me - I still like to use loose tea as I think it makes a better cup myself!

evorotorua, Feb 25, 5:55pm
Hi Julie, I knew you would come in to share a pot! I am fine. I pop in and out of here to look for recipes and news on MBers, post occassionally. I hope all is well for you too. Happy birthday for a few weeks ago. It was mine too on the 9th! Had a lovely day.

evorotorua, Feb 25, 5:57pm
I am sitting here this morning with my cuppa. Sometimes when I wake early I lie there thinking I want to go back to sleep but then I start thinking about a cup of tea and I just can't seem to stay in bed any longer! I am glad tea brings us together. It's so simple and comforting.

evorotorua, Feb 25, 5:57pm
I am sitting here this morning with my cuppa. Sometimes when I wake early I lie there thinking I want to go back to sleep but then I start thinking about a cup of tea and I just can't seem to stay in bed any longer! I am glad tea brings us together. It's so simple and comforting.

evorotorua, Feb 25, 6:09pm
How nice of you Cooks to offer a pot to Winnie. We are planning a wee jaunt south of Rotorua this year and I will be sure to come and see your shop. I will say hi and introduce myself too.
Kirinesha, that is a lovely looking set. I bet you feel grand using that. It looks very classy.
Rarogal, I wasn't interested either at first but now I am. That's a nice gift and a memory to have from your sister. The point is that you enjoy it and that's what is important for now.
Kinna and Eastie, Isn't it great that we can sit here and think about our friends in such a caring way. It is comforting to know that if anything happened anywhere in the country that there are so many people who would look out for us.
Elliehen, I might even just make some of that lolliecake now. My neighbours have children and I feel like making something fun and colourful. Thanks.
NZhel, To me the whole idea of a cuppa is almost the 'ceremony' of the sharing, the talking and of course the bickie. Or like this morning, the peace and quiet of the house and the nice fresh cool morning air.
Doesn't everything just seem 'right' again for a minute. I feel a little more grounded afterwards.

evorotorua, Feb 25, 6:09pm
How nice of you Cooks to offer a pot to Winnie. We are planning a wee jaunt south of Rotorua this year and I will be sure to come and see your shop. I will say hi and introduce myself too.
Kirinesha, that is a lovely looking set. I bet you feel grand using that. It looks very classy.
Rarogal, I wasn't interested either at first but now I am. That's a nice gift and a memory to have from your sister. The point is that you enjoy it and that's what is important for now.
Kinna and Eastie, Isn't it great that we can sit here and think about our friends in such a caring way. It is comforting to know that if anything happened anywhere in the country that there are so many people who would look out for us.
Elliehen, I might even just make some of that lolliecake now. My neighbours have children and I feel like making something fun and colourful. Thanks.
NZhel, To me the whole idea of a cuppa is almost the 'ceremony' of the sharing, the talking and of course the bickie. Or like this morning, the peace and quiet of the house and the nice fresh cool morning air.
Doesn't everything just seem 'right' again for a minute. I feel a little more grounded afterwards.

rarogal, Feb 25, 6:46pm
Well today Im going to do what makes me feel best - take 2 of my grandies to the beach for the weekend. So I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and as best a weekend as possible for anyone in the Canterbury region. For anyone who may visit the Hawkes Bay, there is a gorgeous little shop called "Port'o'Call", that also sells morning/afternoon tea in beautiful china teacups along with 'Devonshire Teas'. Delightful experience.

rarogal, Feb 25, 6:46pm
Well today Im going to do what makes me feel best - take 2 of my grandies to the beach for the weekend. So I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and as best a weekend as possible for anyone in the Canterbury region. For anyone who may visit the Hawkes Bay, there is a gorgeous little shop called "Port'o'Call"-
;, that also sells morning/afternoon tea in beautiful china teacups along with 'Devonshire Teas'. Delightful experience.

evorotorua, Feb 25, 8:05pm
Rarogal, have a great weekend. Maybe you could use the special tie to tell your grandies about why the teacup is so special to you. Maybe they could use it one day as a "special treat" My Oma let me use her 'special' crystal glass once to drink my juice from. I thought I was so important. I still remember how it tasted.

evorotorua, Feb 25, 8:05pm
Rarogal, have a great weekend. Maybe you could use the special tie to tell your grandies about why the teacup is so special to you. Maybe they could use it one day as a "special treat" My Oma let me use her 'special' crystal glass once to drink my juice from. I thought I was so important. I still remember how it tasted.

cookessentials, Feb 25, 8:30pm
It would be lovely to see you at the shop evorotorua. Julie, I would imagine it's very English, but it may not be. If any of you want to try a great loose tea ( I am a convert) try the Tleaf Tea. I have a variety of them and yes, I do sell them LOL, but I have tried quite a few. My favourites are the NZ breakfast tea which has manuka in it, the Earl Grey "excelsior" and the sweet assasin which is a fruit tea and very yummy. They smell as good as they taste. Evorotorua, if you give me a few days notice before you arrive, we can organise to have a nice cuppa outside of the shop if you like? It just gives me time to ask Carol to hold the fort for a wee while.
We are up to Napier on 18th for a couple of nights...going to see Lionel Ritchie which should be great.

cookessentials, Feb 25, 8:30pm
It would be lovely to see you at the shop evorotorua. Julie, I would imagine it's very English, but it may not be. If any of you want to try a great loose tea ( I am a convert) try the Tleaf Tea. I have a variety of them and yes, I do sell them LOL, but I have tried quite a few. My favourites are the NZ breakfast tea which has manuka in it, the Earl Grey "excelsior" and the sweet assasin which is a fruit tea and very yummy. They smell as good as they taste. Evorotorua, if you give me a few days notice before you arrive, we can organise to have a nice cuppa outside of the shop if you like! It just gives me time to ask Carol to hold the fort for a wee while.
We are up to Napier on 18th for a couple of nights.going to see Lionel Ritchie which should be great.

cookessentials, Feb 25, 8:36pm
One or two tea quotes for you.

Strange how a teapot can represent at the same time the comforts of solitude and the pleasures of company.

There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea.~Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

tea leaves
tea loves
loves tea
lives tea
leaves tea?
never.
~Uniek Swain

Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it still sings!~Author Unknown

Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, doesn't try it on.~Billy Connolly

Tea is instant wisdom - just add water!~Astrid Alauda

Have a lovely day everyone, and hugs to all of you going through the aftermath in Christchurch x

cookessentials, Feb 25, 8:36pm
One or two tea quotes for you.

Strange how a teapot can represent at the same time the comforts of solitude and the pleasures of company.

There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea.~Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

tea leaves
tea loves
loves tea
lives tea
leaves tea!
never.
~Uniek Swain

Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it still sings!~Author Unknown

Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, doesn't try it on.~Billy Connolly

Tea is instant wisdom - just add water!~Astrid Alauda

Have a lovely day everyone, and hugs to all of you going through the aftermath in Christchurch x

elliehen, Feb 25, 8:55pm
Love your quotes, cookessentials.Turn to the poets, writers, wits and wordsmiths and you can get much comfort, or the laugh you need.

cookessentials, Feb 25, 10:07pm
Personally, I like the Billy Connoly one!

elliehen, Feb 25, 10:31pm
Laughter is the best medicine :)

evorotorua, Feb 26, 3:58am
According to the comedy quiz show QI, peopleinjured by tea cosies, and there is a one in twenty billion chance of death by tea cosy.