Afternoon tea ideas please

Page 1 / 2
kuaka, Jul 6, 7:52am
Okay, so most weeks I get together with a group of ladies for a social of sorts and we take it in turns to meet at each others homes, and the host provides afternoon tea, which usually consists of two different things.On previous occasions I've provided various muffins, fruit loaf, date loaf, pikelets, carrot cake, chocolate cake etc.I've sort of run out of ideas and would welcome any suggestions for something which is quick, easy and tasty - and please, not scones, as I just can't make them - mine always turn out like rock cakes.

Edited to add, it's only for about 6 people at most.

poppysinger2, Jul 6, 7:56am
How about a round or two of club sandwiches? For exampleham , egg . lettuce and tomato , or smoked chicken , rocket and red pepper pesto .....

kuaka, Jul 6, 8:10am
oh okay, that's a good idea, I always seem to think of sweet things for afternoon tea, never give savoury stuff a thought.Any more suggestions are welcome, as I have to make two separate things.

svce, Jul 6, 8:30am
small savoury pikelets ( no sugar in dough), spread cream cheese with pickle or smoked salmon if you can afford it. Or buy some flake pastry , spread and cover in mustard then place sliced tomatoes on them , sprinkle with olive oil and fresh basil . Place in oven until cooked ( 20 min? can't remember ) andserve. warm is best but can be eaten cold as well. Enjoy ! Even though the toatoes are not in season , you wouldn't need too many.

kuaka, Jul 6, 8:45am
savoury pikelets sound good - and I can make pikelets really good, (not like my efforts on scones).Hmmm, might have to do a trial run and sample them.What a good excuse to try something new.

bubbles22222, Jul 6, 10:06pm
mini choc eclairs from frozen section of supermarket, about 14 in a packet any yummy...

davidt4, Jul 6, 10:12pm
Spinach Pikelets

500g spinach/silverbeet – cook, squeeze dry, puree
1 c flour
½ tsp salt
pepper
nutmeg
2 eggs
1 c milk
(optional – 3 rashers bacon fried & chopped)

Chill batter.Make 4cm pikelets.

Serve with smoked salmon, rare beef, smoked fish,mayo or creme fraiche as appropriate.

kuaka, Jul 7, 1:31am
davidt4 - oops - forgot to mention it has to be reasonably cheap as I'm on national super, so budget is a bit tight.

sunnysue1, Jul 7, 1:37am
Id take tomatoes off the list....saw them yesterday at 16.95kg.......I wonder how much 1 would cost??I remember working at catering and the tomatoes were 3.95 a kilo and the boss was the only one doing the slicing as she could slice the thinnest!!Was about 20 yeaars ago I think

alewis, Jul 7, 1:38am
tartlet sized savouries, what have you in your pantry? tuna in cream sauce, chicken with mustard, tomatoes and cheese, ham and cheese, these things only take a teaspoon of filling - a little goes a long way
also philo pastry make little parcels with the above brush over and bake, and theres always sausage rolls from the freezer department

lx4000, Jul 7, 1:40am
no only healthy but Ohhhso morish!!

BREAKFAST MUFFINS

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups (275g) caster sugar
2 cups (300g) plain flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup sultanas (or your choice)
1 cup desiccated coconut

2 cups grated carrot
1 cup grated apple

1 cup chopped walnuts (or your choice)

3 eggs

1 cup (250ml) vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract

Icing sugar, to dust

Method
1. Preheat oven to 180degC.

2. Sift sugar, flour, cinnamon and powder into a large bowl.

Add sultanas, carrot, apple, coconut and walnuts.

In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, oil and vanilla.

3. Add to the dry ingredients and fold until just combined - do not over mix.

4. Spoon into muffin pans and bake for

25 minutes or until golden brown.

Serve dusted with icing sugar.

lx4000, Jul 7, 1:57am
Cheese Muffins/Puffs
2 eggs
water
1 C Grated Cheese
1 C veggies (I use corn onion caps with tomato and cheese on top)
pinch Salt
2 C Flour
3 tspn BP
1/4 - 1/2 tspn Cayenne Pepper if wished
Break eggs into 1 measuring Cupthen fill with water to make 1 cup, then add another 1 C water. Mix.
Add veggies and cheese then mix.
Stir in salt, flour, cayenne pepper, BP until just mixed.
Spoon into muffin tins.

lx4000, Jul 7, 2:00am
bread cases made in muffin tin thenwith different fillings.

Base, white/cheese sauce. . . . to that add things like asparagus, smoked fish, smoked chicken, red onionand corn, ham cheese caps, creamed corn. Anything you like really:) Thatsome chopped parsley in with grated cheese over the top! mmMmm

elliehen, Jul 7, 6:59am
Richard Till, of TV Kiwi Kitchen fame, has a cookbook out titled 'Kitchen Sink'. In it he has a recipe his mother used to make called pinwheels - puff pastry sheets spread with variations on mashed potato, rolled and chilled in the fridge before slicing into 1/2 cm widths and baking.

Here are fisher's variations on mashed potato:
fisher wrote:

Mashed Potatoes
My Favourite Cut up a small onion and dice finely. Place raw onions in spuds when mashing..

(a) Add half a pkt of maggi onion soup to the potatoes, mash as usual then add 1 tbsp of whole grain mustard and mix thru.
(b) Try olive oil and crushed garlic through your mashed potato instead of butter and milk.
(c) Grated tasty cheese and diced raw onion in mashed potatoes for tasty difference. Or use 2 spring onions.
(d) Boil a good size piece of pumpkin with the potatoes.. Mash altogether for nice colour and different subtle flavour.
(e) Boil some kumara with the potatoes.. Mash altogether for nice colour and different subtle flavour.
(f) Add silver beet half way through to the potatoes as they cook. Then mash all together..
(g) Add cabbage half way through to the potatoes as they cook. Add black pepper and then mash all together... Ideal with corn beef and mustard sauce..
(h) Add 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley while mashing.
(i) Add 2 tbsp of sundried tomatoes and 2 tbsp of chopped basil.
(j) Add 2 rashers of chopped cooked bacon and a dash of tabasco sauce...
(k) Add 1 ~ 2 tbsp each of Thai green curry paste and chopped parsley..

...suitable for the pinwheels.

duckmoon, Jul 7, 8:48am
I agree

neon2k, Jul 8, 5:59am
I make a really yummy (and pretty)jelly slice...once people try it they nearly always go for another slice.
Has a biscuit base, condensed milk filling and a jelly top.
If you want the receipe - let me know

kuaka, Jul 8, 7:48am
ooh neon - that sounds yummy.At the moment, I'm leaning towards asparagus rolls and brandy snaps, but I'm wondering if the brandy snaps will go soggy if I fill them with cream and put them in the fridge for a couple of hours, and also am thinking that they are both sort of sausage shaped, and would prefer them to be different shapes (not that it probably matters that much - it's just visual and maybe I'm being a bit picky here)

lindylambchops1, Jul 8, 8:09am
What about Rock Cakes?!LOL

lindylambchops1, Jul 8, 8:10am
Yes please can we please have your recipe for jelly slice?TIA

neon2k, Jul 8, 8:42am
OK here it is.... it really is worth making... Very easy too
Layer one:
185g Butter
1 packet crushed coffee or similar biscuits

Layer two:
2 teaspoons gelatin
1/2 cup boiling water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tin condensed milk

layer three:
Red (or green) Jelly

Soften butter, mix with biscuits, press into swiss roll tin.
Dissolve gelatin in water. Add to the lemon juice and milk. Beat well together.
Pour over first layer.
Make red jelly as per packet, with 2 teaspoons gelatin. When cool and thick, pour over second layer, set in refrigerator.Cut into squares with warm knife.

Enjoy

happybaby, Jul 8, 8:45am
how about lemon cake, coconut cake or try asian (e.g. egg rolls from asian shop)or middle eastern fare e.g. baclava

jenjen76, Jul 8, 8:55am
you could try some mini fish cakes, tinned tuna, mashed potato, spring onion and parsley, make into patties and shallow fry or bake in the oven (you could crumb them first too).Or perhaps Chocolate brownies or French Macarons for something sweet.

kuaka, Jul 8, 10:00am
lindylambchops - are you suggesting I make scones and call them rock cakes, or actually try to make rock cakes? (in which case I'd probably have to pay all the dental repair bills!)

shop-a-holic, Jul 8, 11:22am
Think outside the square.
Buy a tank loaf from your local Brumbies. Make sandwiches and cut the out in the round loaf slices, with a round cookie cutter.

kallista, Jul 9, 11:38am
Try Alison Holst's Lemonade and Cream Scones from her Bread Book - lightest fluffiest scones I've ever made and I'm not particularly good at plain ones!