Can a bbq/afternoon tea be done for $10-15 pp?

hoppyl, Mar 17, 2:43am
If so, what are your food ideas please

firemansgirl, Mar 17, 3:23am
How many people are you looking at! What sort of occasion is it!

kay141, Mar 17, 4:25am
I don't know what it would cost to produce but one local cafe charges $25 per head for high tea. That is for sandwiches, savouries, scones, cakes, tea and a 3 piece string ensemble. An old- fashioned high tea. They are booked out weeks ahead.

hoppyl, Mar 17, 4:29am
yep-thats it, for around 50

hoppyl, Mar 17, 4:29am
this too-wonder if it coud be done on half that budget

gardie, Mar 17, 4:42am
Scones are really cheap to make as is the cup of tea.Sandwiches are reasonable too dependent on fillings.Club ones always go down well.For $15 pp I'd do club sammies, scones with jam and cream and sausage rolls.(Just get Pam's one, brush with milk or egg and sprinkle with black sesame seeds, white sesame seeds and poppy seeds (an assortment) prior to baking. A lovely cuppa to finish it all off.I think if you stick to 3 things, but have plenty of them, everyone will eat their fill and think they'd have a bargain.You could also do some of the sconessavoury - halved, spread with pesto then topped with a dollop of mashed egg.Make the scones small and round but quite high so when you halve them you have double the quantity of scones but at least 1 inch high.Good luck.

kay141, Mar 17, 4:43am
I would think it is possible. After all out of that amount, they would have to buy ingredients, pay staff, rent and power.I know they do not own the building where they are so presume it is leased.

If you wanted to charge half that, then I would expect less food and certainly no string trio.

duckmoon, Mar 17, 5:10am
I am confused.
Not sure if you want a BBQ or afternoon tea. Or afternoon tea served from the BBQ.

Are you asking if you can cater for it yourself within that budget. Or whether you can outsource it for that amount.

If it was me, and I wanted to outsource it, I would be asking a local kindy or playcentre to see if they wanted to do this as a fundraising.

If it was me, then I would serve
Asparagus rolls and club sandwiches (can be made in the morning and kept under damp tea towels)
And bite sized sweet things. E.g. Neenish tarts and small pieces of brownies.

duckmoon, Mar 17, 5:10am
Hire a good coffee machine from a hire centre. And serve filtered coffee

kinna54, Mar 17, 5:14am
Yes it can be done: A bit more info required tho: and depending upon what you actually want to serve: i.e do you want it to be a full on barbie, like a meal, or just light foods, or are you looking at afternoon tea snack.
What time of the day you intend to have it:
Is it for kids or adults:
If it is around the 3pmafternoon tea timeslot I would suggest you serve things likepikelets, scones, savouries or breadcases and a few nibbly things on the barbie: chicken nibbles mini bacon wrapped sausies etc,
**or if a bit later just some saussies wrapped in bread, plenty of onions,jacket spuds, a couple of simple salads, (markets for veges etc are cheap) seeing how costs are going you could maybe add some meatballs or patties.I see others have already posted some awesome suggestions as well.
Edited to add you could cut out the bread around the saussies and add some freshly warmed home madefoccacia bread, simple to make and very filling. goes a long way.

hoppyl, Mar 17, 6:31am
thanks for thte awesome ideas.i'm in charge of throwing a surprise party wit that $$ budget.It could be a lunchtime bbq or a mid afternoon tea

nunesy, Mar 17, 6:50am
If you did the afternoon tea I would at least want something else sweet apart from scones - I'm not a big fan and neither are many others I know!But, if you do them I would serve them warm with whipped cream and maybe a choice of jams.Making any easy slice (choc, caramel, apricot slice) and then cutting it into good size rectangles, then diagonally so you get a triangle makes them look cafe-quality.OR cut into very small squares, if you have several varieties.If you have sausage rolls you can also serve them with normal tomato sauce with a little sweet chile sauce added.I would also make a cold drink option because not everyone likes tea.Maybe fresh lemonade, pink lemonade, iced tea or a light punch (heaps of recipes on google or here).
All the best!

punkinthefirst, Mar 17, 7:34am
Ladies, a plate, springs to mind. apart from the person you are surprising, of course!
Afternoon tea should be 'do-able', easily with that sort of budget.
Per person, allow a couple of fresh sandwiches, a plain scone - half with a savoury topping and half with jam and cream, a cupcake, if the afternoon tea is for ladies, and a slice of another cake (light fruit, chocolate, madeira, a slice of some sort, etc.) That should be plenty, with tea, coffee and/or a cold drink such as home-made lemonade

duckmoon, Mar 17, 7:36am
If you are doing lunch - then your budget will be tight. and the event might look tight. especially if you want to serve a few drinks with it (actually, I am not sure you can afford to serve alcohol and lunch on that budget).

If it is a celebration, then I would go for afternoon tea, people aren't going to enjoy it any less, and you don't need to do so much food.

If you want to serve a drink, then I would offer ONE glass of bubbles are people arrive, and then bring out the tea and coffee with 30mintues, to indicate it was for ONE glass, not a bottle

elliehen, Mar 17, 9:58am
This sounds just right to me.a touch of the 'traditional' about it.

pickles7, Mar 17, 9:08pm
Foot long subs are $7.00 right now. they do catering packs and deliver.