Smoked salmon - frozen but for BBQ dinner?

courtney2004, Dec 11, 10:28pm
What to do? I have taken it out of the freezer it states "hot smoked" we are having a BBQ for a birthday tonight but I don't know what to do to it e.g heat it up on the BBQ or?? its a massive fillet - I don't eat salmon myself but the men will!! - advise please

fionaschuler, Dec 11, 10:43pm
its already cooked-via smoking process.you can serve cold or hot.defrost it now so its ready by dinner time

courtney2004, Dec 11, 10:47pm
Wonderful its out sitting in the microwave so the ones that love salmon don't see it until tea time!! so I can heat it up I might do that in tinfoil on the BBQ? should I put anything else with it while I am heating it up?

uli, Dec 11, 10:55pm
Not sure about that - I always cold smoke - so my ham and fish is RAW after it has been smoked :)

dezzie, Dec 12, 1:11am
hot smoked is cooked, I don't think I'd heat it at all, just have it so the greedy ones can have hunks with salad etc.

buzzy110, Oct 19, 9:08am
No don't reheat. That, IMO, would totally spoil it. It is a bit like reheating the sliced ham you buy from the deli . It would serve no useful purpose. However, I've never frozen smoked salmon or any fish because, once again imo, it should be eaten fresh.

Here are a couple of simple ideas.

If you have plenty of smallish (not cherry tomatoes) then why not cut in half, scoop out the seeds and stuff with the smoked salmon?

Flake up what is left and serve in individual lettuce leaves.

Cook short grain or sushi rice. Cool. Add a few spoonsful of rice wine vinegar and a scant tblspn of sugar (I hate the sugar but everyone else seems to need it). Form into flat or oval shaped bite sized pieces, make a hollow depression, and put some smoked salmon into that. Or you can for a ball around a small spoonful of the salmon and roll in toasted sesame seeds or sprinkle with kelp flakes.

What about boiling up some eggs. Peel or cut in half with the shell still on. Scoop out the yolk, mix with spring onion, cream salt, pepper and a dash of dry mustard. Pipe back into the white and add some salmon on top?

Lemon slices with everything.