? Shelf Life of Smoked Salmon?

karenbnz, Apr 10, 8:49am
Can some please advise what the shelf life of smoked salmon is! Thank you in advance

firemansgirl, Apr 10, 9:01am
Well it's got a best before on the packet but I often put packs in the freezer if I haven't eaten them by the end of the date on the packet, they're all good.

karenbnz, Apr 10, 9:09am
Thanks I will check the packets to get an idea. My brother kindly gave me a salmon he smoked himself.my husband being particularly cautious threw it in the rubbish after a few days of it being refrigerated I thought it was such a waste!

jimmy2102, Apr 10, 9:13am
Because of oil content in salmon it keeps for ages if smoked, and will freeze well, its even ok to defrost and freeze again!,

karenbnz, Apr 10, 9:18am
Wonderful thanks Jimmy we wondered if it would freeze alright.could have cried when hubby biffed it.was just looking forward to cracker with cream cheese and salmon sprinkled with lemon pepper yum.

karenbnz, Apr 10, 9:19am
How long do you all ages!

karenbnz, Apr 10, 9:26am
Call :-)

jimmy2102, Apr 10, 9:27am
A good week or more, give it the old sniff test, if youve got a big piece, cut it into pieces it freezes really well. As i said above, because of oil content. Ive eaten expired and frozen salmon and not got sick.

karenbnz, Apr 10, 10:35am
Thank for the tips Jimmy, will definitely freeze some next time.

sylvia, Apr 10, 10:53am
Just tried our frozen hot smoked salmon this weekend. It has been in the freezer for about 2 weeks and was just as delicious as fresh. I did however wrap it tightly in glad wrap, then wrapped that parcel in foil, ensuring a very tight fit so no air was around the fish, then put 2 of these parcels into sealable plastic bags which I drew the air out of with a straw. I know, sounds a lot of troube but so worth it for such a precious piece of fish!