A fair price for a pot of tea for two?

Page 1 / 3
pamellie, May 16, 3:25am
x1
My husband and I went out for breakfast on Sunday morning and had a lovely meal. While we were eating I asked for a pot of tea for two of english breakfast tea. The waitress returned with two cups and saucers, a tiny teapot, a tiny jug of hot water and a tiny jug of milk. When she placed it on the table I commented on the size of the teapot and she said that the was size for two and that the pot for one was even smaller!After she left I looked inside and there was only one teabag. I poured the tea and it only just managed to fill the teacups with enough for each of us to have a cup of tea, I then filled the pot with the hot water and that only filled it with probably enough for one more cup. When I went to pay the bill I saw that I had been charged for two teas at $3.80 each, as I had a voucher which covered the cost of our meal I didn't question the price of the tea.
As I very rarely drink tea when I go out I'm wondering if they were being a bit mean and stingy charging me for two teas with only one teabag? Can anyone tell me what they think would be normal in this situation, I would've thought that they shouldn't have charged full price, perhaps a bit more that one but less than two. Also how many cups should I expect to get out of a pot for two? I would've thought more than three.
Am I expecting too much or is this just the norm?

cgvl, May 16, 3:54am
I would expect a pot big enough and enough tea bags (ie 2) to make 4 cups of tea so yes I do think they were being stingy. As to price about #3.80 each would be ok provided I did get 2 tea bags and enough hot water and milk for 4 cups of tea.

lilyfield, May 16, 4:14am
And i would tell them this , and never go back there.

emmapear, May 16, 6:42am
Tea has the biggest profit margin at cafes...I think that was a rip off tho.

cookessentials, May 16, 8:25am
I get a pot of tea with enough for two good size cups for $2.50
For that, they should be serving a decent size pot with real tea leaves and an infuser.

kuaka, May 16, 9:16am
I don't know how much I would expect to pay as I never have tea or coffee out, but I would expect the pot to be big enough to provide two decent sized cups of tea that didn't look like ditch-water, (so 2 teabags or leaf tea) and enough hot water to refill the pot to give two further cups, along with enough milk for this.I would have thought $5 would be ample for this - but as I say, I never buy tea or coffee out.

illusion_, May 16, 10:00pm
Rip off.

Not so much with the price, although it is on the high side, but with what was provided. You had a meal at the place fgs. With the total of what you had spent (including the voucher), youd think they would be going out of their way to make sure you were as happy as hell with your cuppa. How to ruin a business.

Dont go back.

pickles7, May 16, 11:33pm
Is it any wonder , sponsorships are harder to find.
We sponsored a soccer club for quite a few years, then one year a person came in and asked us if we could raise the sponsorship to, two events. I asked him how many times he had crossed the threshold of our door, the reply said it all. I don't really. The club lost out.
Be careful folks.

kay141, May 16, 11:44pm
Am I expecting too much or is this just the norm?[/quote]

Did you say anything at the time?

pamellie, May 17, 3:25am
My husband and I went out for breakfast on Sunday morning and had a lovely meal. While we were eating I asked for a pot of tea for two of english breakfast tea. The waitress returned with two cups and saucers, a tiny teapot, a tiny jug of hot water and a tiny jug of milk. When she placed it on the table I commented on the size of the teapot and she said that the was size for two and that the pot for one was even smaller!After she left I looked inside and there was only one teabag. I poured the tea and it only just managed to fill the teacups with enough for each of us to have a cup of tea, I then filled the pot with the hot water and that only filled it with probably enough for one more cup. When I went to pay the bill I saw that I had been charged for two teas at $3.80 each, as I had a voucher which covered the cost of our meal I didn't question the price of the tea.
As I very rarely drink tea when I go out I'm wondering if they were being a bit mean and stingy charging me for two teas with only one teabag! Can anyone tell me what they think would be normal in this situation, I would've thought that they shouldn't have charged full price, perhaps a bit more that one but less than two. Also how many cups should I expect to get out of a pot for two! I would've thought more than three.
Am I expecting too much or is this just the norm!

pamellie, May 17, 3:37am
Did you say anything at the time?[/quote]

As I said I did question the size of the teapot at the time but she assured it was the normal size for two persons and as I had a voucher which covered the meal I wasn't too bothered. If I had been paying full price I certainly would have said more when I paid the bill.

I was really just curious to see what would be acceptable and considered normal by others.

pamellie, May 17, 3:39am
pickles7 wrote:
Is it any wonder , sponsorships are harder to find.
We sponsored a soccer club for quite a few years, then one year a person came in and asked us if we could raise the sponsorship to, two events. I asked him how many times he had crossed the threshold of our door, the reply said it all. I don't really. The club lost out.
Be careful folks.

Sorry pickles7, not quite sure where you are coming from there.

pickles7, May 17, 5:41am
When I went to pay the bill I saw that I had been charged for two teas at $3.80 each, as I had a voucher which covered the cost of our meal I didn't question the price of the tea.
As I very rarely drink tea when I go out I'm wondering if they

painterman, May 17, 5:52am
Kind of pathetic, you had a voucher and you are whinging about paying $7 for two teas.

I'm sure it was people like you who won the 2nd world war for use etc, but that is the normal price for hot drinks and has been for a few years.

And you got 3 drinks!!! If you had ordered a coffee for the same price would you have expected two drinks?? Sorry but I think you are being really pathetic, I know a teabag costs about ten cents but why even bother going to a restaurant, they cost heaps everyone knows that - and people who own restaurants don't generally makemuch money either. Suggest you eat out if you expect to pay the same price as it costs you to make it at home!

painterman, May 17, 5:54am
You should open a restaurant pamilie, you can sell tea for $1 with a teapot that fits 8 cups, you will be really successul

pamellie, May 17, 6:27am
I had actually paid for the voucher it was through grabone.

pamellie, May 17, 6:31am
I do understand they have to make money however I do feel that it was not value at all for my money $7.60 is a lot for one teabag and a bit of milk and even including service and staff costs etc. All I really wanted to know was if everyone else thought this was a fair price.

emmapear, May 17, 6:42am
Tea has the biggest profit margin at cafes.I think that was a rip off tho.

pickles7, May 17, 6:58am
even more reason to hush up. I hope you got the vouchers at a,bargain price. Next time you go for a bargain make sure the tea is chucked in

penwill1, May 17, 7:07am
I know how you feel, ripped off, I worked for a short time at a local cafe and they always said one tea bag for two, but I always put in two and gave a decent jug of hot water, surprise surprise people commented and came backbecause ofthe decent service, you have to give a little to get a little, isnt that what being a kiwi is all about!

pickles7, May 17, 7:33am
penwill1 wrote:
I know how you feel, ripped off, I worked for a short time at a local cafe and they always said one tea bag for two, but I always put in two and gave a decent jug of hot water, surprise surprise people commented and came backbecause ofthe decent service, you have to give a little to get a little, isnt that what being a kiwi is all about![/quote

Our staff couldn't give hot water, as more than half those jugs came back and got tiped out. profit down the sink. There wages...
We had problems with folk asking for an extra cup, lol , guess why.

duckmoon, May 17, 7:37am
vouchers or not, that isn't the point...
I do expect if I order a "pot of tea" that it comes with a tea pot (which will fill the cup) and a pot of hot water (which i might use to weaken the tea, if too strong) - or I could use to refill the pot.

In the end, what we are talking about it the unit of cost item (in this case a pot of tea) balanced with the ability to keep a customer happy...

the additional cost of a bit more hot water, is stuff-all; compared to a customer who thought they got value for money.

I don't think the price is too much - but the product has problems.

painterman, May 17, 9:03am
No, the customer has problems. A customer who has problems with the above fact scenario ($7 for 2 cups of tea with a 50% off cheap voucher mean) is the exact sort of person a business does NOT want.

Lucky to get the hot water.

melford, May 17, 9:13am
No the customer is being ripped off. Check out the general thread I have the same complaint about the cost of a sparsely filled bread roll costing $8.90!!!

kuaka, May 17, 9:16am
I don't know how much I would expect to pay as I never have tea or coffee out, but I would expect the pot to be big enough to provide two decent sized cups of tea that didn't look like ditch-water, (so 2 teabags or leaf tea) and enough hot water to refill the pot to give two further cups, along with enough milk for this.I would have thought $5 would be ample for this - but as I say, I never buy tea or coffee out.