A fair price for a pot of tea for two?

Page 3 / 3
nauru, May 19, 12:55pm
I agree, it was a rip off, $7.60 for 1 teabag and 3 cups of water. I have worked in the food industry and know what profit can be made on food & drinks, at that price they are making a huge profit. Regardless of how the bill was being paid, I would have definitely complained. I don't mind paying the price, if it was value for money but I DO object to being ripped off.

spellcheck, May 19, 4:09pm
Big rip off. Our cafe was $4.40 for eb Tea. ($4.for regular tea). With that there was a teapot for around 4 cups,a jug of hot water and a small jug of milk.

colnjessp, May 19, 4:27pm
It makes you wonder where these cafes justify their prices. Its a wonder why alot of people choose not to EAT these days!

kob, May 19, 5:36pm
Great quote Kuaka, I totally agree they are struggling to paye wages and overheads, & will find they are struggling even harder if to save 5cents they are taking tolls on tea bags, cause people to vote with their feet, and those cafes will find their regular patrons wont appear, then they will be wondering why what have we ever done to them........In past experience of working in the food industry( well I still do) its the little things extre that you do that bring the patrons through the door, we used to sell our regulars a normal pot of tea but because they liked to sit and chat away with the other regualrs we would give them a pot big enough for 3 cups instead of a 1 cup pot, ok it might have cost us 10 cents more each day but those regulars came back every 2nd day , sometimes daily ,like clockwork for their $2.50 pot of tea. SO in terms of cafes struggling which I know they are, they also need to remember that there is always another cafe you can visit if the one you are favouring isnt putting out, so maybe a little word in the managers ear that their tea is abit weak and were you needing to bring your own tea bags in to get a good brew here, will be all you will need, to get them to pull their socks up, good luck tea drinkers Im a mocca fan and its hard to get a nice one of those around, sometimes I feel like getting behind the counter and saying here lovey would you like me to show you how to make it, But not everyone is a barrista by trade are they.

painterman, May 19, 9:07pm
You could undercut them easily. Just get a lease for a cafe with a council consent for a commercial kitchen (you just need a $15,000 extractor flue etc). Then buy some ovens, tills, benches, chairs, tables, employ some staff, get some health certificates, buy some bread rolls and some ham.

All you need to do is sell a couple of $9 ham sandwiches and you are ROLLING in is, you can expand to another cafe in a month or two and soon you will have your own nationwide chain of cafes where you can charge $5 for a pot of tea with a used teabag.

Your best customers will be bored old people who will cut out coupons out of the newspaper and think they are being ripped off when they come in and spend NZ$5. Raking it in I tell you!

seaqueen, May 19, 9:35pm
What on earth are you doing over here, Painterman! Has married life domesticated you!

lx4000, May 20, 1:51am
I agree with you and good on ya! good service gets ppl back!

radelle, May 20, 1:58am
without reading every ones posts i think that's a terrible price to pay for a pot considering how cheap teabags are its not an expensive drink help you can get a good coffee for that price i would seriously A) not go back or B) question them and let them know and i thought it was a teabag per cup and equal to the size of the pot per cups you want must have been a very weak tea!

janny3, May 20, 11:32am
Definitely not correct tea making procedure.I don't understand why tea making is not taught & practiced by our food service industry.

I go out for tea as a treat.However I am disappointed when a tea bag is tossed into a cup of hot (not boiling) water & milk plonked in before the tea has time to even draw (not that it can by this ineffective method).I have to educate the kids in how to make a proper cup of tea (much to the approval of fellow adult patrons).

That is heat the pot first then place the tea leaves/bags in the emptied & warmed pot before adding boiling water & allowing it to stand to draw before pouring.

In the 70s, I trained in food service so making a pot of tea had a standard rule of thumb:

One spoon of tea leaves or one tea bag for each person & one for the pot.

Someone got the restaurant review webpage where you can add your evaluation of that particular cafe!

kob, May 20, 5:36pm
Great quote Kuaka, I totally agree they are struggling to paye wages and overheads, & will find they are struggling even harder if to save 5cents they are taking tolls on tea bags, cause people to vote with their feet, and those cafes will find their regular patrons wont appear, then they will be wondering why what have we ever done to them.In past experience of working in the food industry( well I still do) its the little things extre that you do that bring the patrons through the door, we used to sell our regulars a normal pot of tea but because they liked to sit and chat away with the other regualrs we would give them a pot big enough for 3 cups instead of a 1 cup pot, ok it might have cost us 10 cents more each day but those regulars came back every 2nd day , sometimes daily ,like clockwork for their $2.50 pot of tea. SO in terms of cafes struggling which I know they are, they also need to remember that there is always another cafe you can visit if the one you are favouring isnt putting out, so maybe a little word in the managers ear that their tea is abit weak and were you needing to bring your own tea bags in to get a good brew here, will be all you will need, to get them to pull their socks up, good luck tea drinkers Im a mocca fan and its hard to get a nice one of those around, sometimes I feel like getting behind the counter and saying here lovey would you like me to show you how to make it, But not everyone is a barrista by trade are they.